Snider on struggling Flyers: 'Never seen anything like this'

SgtJoseph*

Mr Snider will always get a free pass from me..............Folks laughed at him back in 67 when he took a chance and bought this team to Philly. I was 9 yrs old then and happy as all heck to get the chance to see hockey........Still am !

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Kudymen on struggling Meszaros: 'Never seen anything like this'

But yeah, I agree with basically everything he said

CyborgLindros

Mar 29, 2012
Al Davis supplied some good laughs over the years for me from a safe distance, I guess this is karma.

As long as Snider doesn't go drafting a kicker in the first round we'll be good.

Seriously though what could should be done? Will a blockbuster trade suddenly generate team chemistry? Will it fix the passing? Will it cause the guys we have left to develop like they are supposed too? I'm kinda skeptical that the front office can wake these guys up, they need a game. They need to win against a legitimate cup contender in convincing fashion. A big win could get some guys motivated.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mr Snider will always get a free pass from me..............Folks laughed at him back in 67 when he took a chance and bought this team to Philly. I was 9 yrs old then and happy as all heck to get the chance to see hockey........Still am !

And in 2013, people are laughing at Ed Snider.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

You call what we are seeing hockey? Snider and this so called team are a travesty. Snider can't understand what is going on bc he has had yes people around him all his life. Holmgren has said yes to Snider to his and the team's detriment far too much in the last couple of seasons. Now he is reaping the damages of his diktats and reactionary ways.

Yeah the team needs to loosen up and try and have fun like the captain says yet this impatient man is breathing down the players necks right outside the locker room and making veiled threats in the press. Then his GM has to do his daddy act again and yell at the players after the coach had said yelling at them is counterproductive. Talk about mixed messages. This team is a mess and the owner bears a lot of responsibility. Sure he cares but he cares too much and is irrational. I fear his and Holmgren's impatience. They need to have the keys taken away from them..

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't think anybody is ungrateful for what Snider has done for this franchise and how it all started, but people definitely aren't grateful for one of the longest Cup droughts in existence and for the current state of the team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Next? They'll calling for your meddlesome head? I've been saying get rid of Snider for over a decade. He is the NHL version of Jerry Jones!
****** Snider, and his opinion!

It's kind of hard to get rid of owners when they have $$$$. You're going have to wait this one out until he kicks the bucket.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
There's a time for things to end. Ed loves the flyers like all of us do. He wants to win probably more than we do. He's loyal to the men he payed to play for us to a fault. He only knows one way to win and unfortunately it's not the way anymore. I'm sure all of us can agree we are thankful for what he's given us but it is time to back away and let someone else call the shots and be a fan again.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
There's a time for things to end. Ed loves the flyers like all of us do. He wants to win probably more than we do. He's loyal to the men he payed to play for us to a fault. He only knows one way to win and unfortunately it's not the way anymore. I'm sure all of us can agree we are thankful for what he's given us but it is time to back away and let someone else call the shots and be a fan again.

Well put TheDrizzle81. I have been a Flyers fan since their beginning in '67. Snider was good enough to allow Bud Poile do his job as the GM, and Keith Allen as their first coach.
Snider was good at staying in the back ground until the Lindros-Clarke feud surfaced. Snider has been sticking his nose in the operations ever since. He annoys me to the nth degree.....I just wish he could be bought out and silenced!

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
The issue is Brayden Schenn, Couterier, Vorachek, and Simmonds are not as good as we had hoped when we blew it up. Not one of them can create offense on there own or breakdown anybody one on one.We need finishers! They are good secondary point producers banging in rebounds. I really think Couterier has been ruined by trying to turn him into Handzus. #neededscoringwingers.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
They'll snap out of it eventually, but I hope it won't be too late or at too high a cost (Couturier)
As long as our management isn't as fickle as our 13 yr old junior high girl fanbase, we will be fine.

and as evidence from our last 3 years, we wont be making irrational trades of youth for aging vets, although I'm sure we they will be accused of it.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

You have to remember that most of the posters on here seem to be about 20 years old and the Flyers have always existed!

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
You have to remember that most of the posters on here seem to be about 20 years old and the Flyers have always existed!

True. Especially when you see comments like "decrepit old circus monkey" or "have to wait for him to kick the bucket". Comments like that are ridiculous, childish and downright stupid.

SgtJoseph*

And in 2013, people are laughing at Ed Snider.

Ed Snider is a tough minded guy that can handle that nonsense just like he did in 67 .The very same people that laughed at and mocked him in 67 were made to look foolish and juvenile just a few years later ?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ed Snider is a tough minded guy that can handle that nonsense just like he did in 67 .The very same people that laughed at and mocked him in 67 were made to look foolish and juvenile just a few years later ?

Yep, been hearing that for quite a few years, too.

Maybe the problem is that you're worried about what happened in 40+ years ago, ancient times in the sports world, and not anything relevant to today. Really sounding more and more like Al Davis.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
It seems like some people can only see either the players succeeding or the management failing.

To be fair, Snider was the owner in 2010. Was he the problem then? What about 1997 or in the 80s? It wasn't Snider's fault those teams didn't win.

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
Classic scapegoating going on in this thread (and really throughout the fan base). The players are the ones that are terrible. This is basically the same team that had us on the edge of our seats with excitement for the future following 2011-2012. In fact, they're probably better in net than they were back then with Bryzgalov. At that time, we were calling Holmgren and Snider geniuses for turning what looked like a team that had hit it's ceiling into a young and up-and-coming unit.

But, yet, a year and a half later, the team is playing like crap. So, we blame the same people. I understand the Holmgren hate. His moves since the Carter/Richards trades have been suspect at best.

But, ripping the owner who bleeds orange-and-black just because the team hasn't won in nearly 40 years is ridiculous. It's not as though he's Bill Wirtz and not spending money to make the team better. Snider is willing to spend every penny he has to make this team better. If there were no salary cap, he would be.

People saying that they want him to die so that the team can get better are totally out-of-line and show their true lack of knowledge of the game as well. You think you'd be happier with different ownership? There are very few fan bases who like their owners and can truly relate to them. Ed Snider is one owner that you should be able to relate to because all he does is bleed orange-and-black.

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
What the hell is wrong with saying that?

We fans like to forget that players, owners, coaches, etc are all human beings with loved ones and family. They're not just pawns in your never ending quest to get your morale boosted by your city winning a championship.

Saying that you want someone to die so that your team can perform better on the ice is asinine, ignorant, and cruel.

RJ8812*

and 40 years later his team is the laughing stock of the league with no end is sight because he still thinks it's the 1970s

Nobody is taking anything away from what Snider did for this team. But the way he runs this team now, has killed us. We're a joke because he's still stuck in the 70s. His quote a few years back about how the Flyers "don't know how to rebuild" should tell you everything you need to know about Mr. Snider. Just look at all the past Cup winners since the 04-05 lockout. Aside from one winner (DET), what did the others do? They re-built through the draft and developed all of their players properly.

I respect Snider for everything he's done, but it's time to move on, and until he moves on, this team's grave will just keep getting deeper and deeper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad