Snider on struggling Flyers: 'Never seen anything like this'

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Snider-on-struggling-Flyers-Never-seen-anything-like-this.html

Ed Snider is baffled.

The chairman of the Flyers’ parent company, said “I wish I knew,†when asked about what needs to be done to get his 4-10-1 team going in the right direction.

"I’ve been in the game for 47 years and I’ve never seen anything like this,†he said after the team practiced Friday in Voorhees. “We certainly know that we’re more talented than we’re showing on the ice. I think the question is, ‘How talented are we?’ â€

When GM Paul Holmgren dismissed coach Peter Laviolette last month, “I said we can’t fire all the players and we’ll see what we have,†Snider said. “I’m hoping they’ll snap out of it and show us the kind of talent they’ve shown in the past and that we believe they still have.â€

The Flyers, who host Edmonton on Saturday afternoon, have scored two goals or fewer in 14 of their 15 games. They are averaging a league-low 1.47 goals per game.

As for the fans' recently chanting "Fire Holmgren!" Snider said it was part of being a GM. "Paul understands it.... Next they'll be calling for my head," he said.

Giroux's response. Captain Claude Giroux said he left the arena without talking to the media Thursday because he was frustrated with the 3-0 loss to New Jersey and with his play. He said he understood the fans' reaction during the game.

"If I was a fan, I'd be booing myself, too."

Giroux, goal-less on the season, said the Flyers need to loosen up and start having fun on the ice.

(more to come)

:cry: :shakehead :( Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This is where is gets scary,,,, The Dancing Monkey Brothers are getting restless and when they both get involved, that's when captains get traded !

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It really is baffling. Nothing wrong with what he said. The pieces are there to be a solid team, and they are simply not performing.

I've never seen a team underperform as badly as the current iteration of the Flyers. It's one thing to suck; it's quite another to play this far below your potential.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It really is baffling. Nothing wrong with what he said. The pieces are there to be a solid team, and they are simply not performing.

I've never seen a team underperform as badly as the current iteration of the Flyers. It's one thing to suck; it's quite another to play this far below your potential.

It is crazy that this team's bread and butter was the power play last year and scoring was pretty standard, but now I watch games wondering if they will be shut out

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
People can say what they want about the man, but at least Snider gives a damn about this club. He could be like other owners and sit silent, but I'm glad he cares and he's not afraid to say things. Yeah, he's been a little bit too hands on at times, but it's not as if he's Al Davis hands on.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Basically this. Even though we may hate Snider for certain things, but he literally has no control (right now) over how bad they look.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, he's right. It seriously makes no sense at all.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They must wait it out. They must not trade anyone. The roster is really good. And why were Giroux and Lecavalier separated last night? They need to be on the same line all the time.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
People can say what they want about the man, but at least Snider gives a damn about this club. He could be like other owners and sit silent, but I'm glad he cares and he's not afraid to say things. Yeah, he's been a little bit too hands on at times, but it's not as if he's Al Davis hands on.

He's approaching Al Davis territory. He's not there yet, but he's not far off.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Agree with Snider that i've never seen anything this bad. Players just seem to forget how to score or control the puck. But I thought they looked this bad 5-5 last year. Even if the PP was very good. It seems puck pressure by the opposition makes them completely ineffective.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
his giving a damn:
“We don't rebuild, we retoolâ€
"We don't even know what rebuilding is"
"We don't need a fresh perspective"

is largely responsible for the mess that this team and franchise is in

SgtJoseph*

I agree 100%...........Folks are still blaming our D when we score 2 goals or less in 14 out of 15 games ? FERGETABOUTIT ! We have proven potential who just are not scoring like they once did.They are gripping their sticks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to tight, need to be loooooooooooooose and not afraid to be loose !

SgtJoseph*

He's approaching Al Davis territory. He's not there yet, but he's not far off.

LOL ! My favorite Al Davis quote of all time is when asked what type of player makes a good Oakland Raider ? He replied " a player that's one step out of prison " . We need some of that mentality, players not afraid to HIT ! and hit Hard !

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I think the Snid is up to something.... he will demand a shake up - with the rumours out of EDM, that could happen? MacT wanted to make a bold move.... both teams chance to shake up.

We all know the last time he was pissed - Bryz came knocking....

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I think the Snid is up to something.... he will demand a shake up - with the rumours out of EDM, that could happen? MacT wanted to make a bold move.... both teams chance to shake up.

We all know the last time he was pissed - Bryz came knocking....

At this point every GM in the league knows we're desperate. So trades wont be easy until the deadline.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ed acts like people don't call for his head. He's run out of people to blame, and he only has one more person to go before he forced to take blame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad