Post-Game Talk: Smith with the (actual) shutout

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Often. Care to bring up Edmonton's vast UFA history? The UFA market is a horrendous place to fill vital roles long-term. Particularly ones that score consistently while playing a primary role in all situations.

The one great thing I've liked about Ken Holland so far is that he hasn't committed long-term dollars to complete unknowns like the other GMs did before him. An RNH replacement would be a very expensive unknown.

Yup. Free agency is the worst place to supplement your team. Overhyped overpriced and overaged. Our track record sucks in FA as well.

Reactions: Mavs134

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I was making a very obvious point to make a point. Now you return to he is just distracted because he is wearing the jersey. Ignore everything else. Why enter a conversation if you have the intent of being disingenuous and just post silly memes? Sorry. lol Dumb question.

It amazes me how I throw out a logical possibility for his poor play and a few decide its time to be a SJW. I can understand after the first post as I could have been more clear, but a fake one at that if you just read the posts. Still waiting...

People are roasting you because there's no evidence to suggest Bear's issue was a lack of focus AND that said lack of focus was due to him concentrating on social justice causes outside of hockey. You even went as far as to imply a causal relationship between him getting to wear a jersey with his Cree name and said lack of focus.

The simpler explanation is that he was a young, inexperienced player in a high pressure situation for the first time and he had some struggles. It happens to a lot of players in his situation who don't have Cree names on their jerseys but for some reason in his case, that's the issue? It's ridiculous and that's why people are lighting you up here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Often. Care to bring up Edmonton's vast UFA history? The UFA market is a horrendous place to fill vital roles long-term. Particularly ones that score consistently while playing a primary role in all situations.

The one great thing I've liked about Ken Holland so far is that he hasn't committed long-term dollars to complete unknowns like the other GMs did before him. An RNH replacement would be a very expensive unknown.

He has, in one particular case, committed long term dollars to known commodities that were never going to be worth it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Toffoli is .57 PPG over a 538 game career.

Nuge is .73 PPG over a 604 game career.

But Toffoli might be better cuz opportunities for Nuge?
Yes exactly. Opportunities. RNH was carried to his first extension by Hall and Eberle (and the Oilers stupidity in overpaying the entire trio). Now he’s going to get carried to a $7 million extension by Draisaitl and McDavid. Toffoli has had Carter as his best regular linemate. I honestly have never seen a more charmed career when it comes to linemates than the one RNH has had.

Secondly, my post specifically referenced goals, not gravy assist leeched off ones betters. Please do the calculations again and report back to the board on which player has the better g/game number. And then calculate points/$. That one might be interesting too.
The option of having RNH switch to center should any of our top 2 get hurt should be worth something
It’s not worth much. RNH is a lousy center. He doesn’t drive the puck down the ice and he doesn’t win draws. Should either of the team’s top two centres get injured we will be replacing a Mustang with a Corolla. Let’s at least avoid paying a Mustang sticker price for the Corolla if we are going to do that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He has, in one particular case, committed long term dollars to known commodities that were never going to be worth it.
Agreed. I also was never a fan of the Athanasiou acquisition and was against it well before it happened. He's not perfect.

The top six isn't the problem, even with RNH struggling to produce offense consistently. It's abundantly clear that the Oilers need to improve drastically when the elites aren't on the ice. But here we are bickering over a small amount of money going to a player in a top six that does its job.

The Oilers can afford to spend 'too much' in some places if they find value elsewhere.

If recent games are a good indicator on how things are going to unfold moving forward, I'd be more than happy spending 'too much' to hold on to RNH, Nurse and Barrie.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Eberle got 5.5 deal for himself after a low production season. Nuge will get at least that.
I wouldn’t be happy about it, but I could live with $5.5 for RNH. And hey, let’s be honest about that Eberle deal. He signed for that money after going over PPG in the playoffs and leading the Isles past the Pens in the first round. The guy who supposedly couldn’t score in the playoffs has put up 9-14-23 in 30 playoff games with the Islanders. Guess it helps when you play with linemates who don’t just shoot the puck into the corner every time it comes to them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Stunned to be reading all of the Nuge hate. Does nobody else realize that that line is BY FAR our most dominant 5v5 line in terms of generating shots/chances/attempts? Not much going in at the moment but they are overdue, and Nuge smartly trading pucks with his linemates is a huge part of that. Buncha boxscore watchers in here...

We've won 6 of 7, and it's the same few posters smearing their same few scapegoats ad nauseam.

Claiming Nuge has been dominating while accusing others of not watching games.

That's bold.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This is something I'm actually pretty worried about. Not sure how many realize this, might have already been mentioned, but if a team can't play the full 56 game schedule then they go by win % to determine playoff position.

To put that in perspective the Oilers are tied for 2nd place in the division right now but if you go by winning percentage then they wouldn't even make the playoffs. I can see at least one team not make the playoffs even though they have more points than another team that makes it.

Who cares? We're second place because of unforeseen cirmustances that the NHL nor the Oilers created. Be happy and enjoy it

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
They are, are they? When was the last time the Edmonton Oilers 'attained' a consistent 50 point forward outside of the top three picks of the draft?

The only way the Oilers have brought in productive NHL centers is through the draft.

I get the logic behind wanting a better deal, but when you let Nugent-Hopkins walk to free agency, you're replacing him with an older, inferior option. And you're probably not getting value in that deal, either.

Yes they are. There's a guy named Yamamoto who would've got 50 points if he'd played this season fully. JP will hit 50 eventually. Also, why do we need amazing wingers for McDavid and Draisaitl? We need complimentary wingers like Sheary, Rust, Guentzel etc. Holloway is coming in soon as well. We didn't sign any wingers because we didn't need any this year or at least we thought we didn't.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He always starts slow. He will find the range soon enough. We have to keep him unless his ask is too high. If he wants 7-8 mil we can’t afford him. If he wants to stay at an AAV of 6 (or less which I doubt) then we sign him.

We don't have to keep him. I'm not trying to be biased but Nurse is more important to this team right now. He has leadership and he leads by example. Only Dman we had that could do that was Jason Smith.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We don't have to keep him. I'm not trying to be biased but Nurse is more important to this team right now. He has leadership and he leads by example. Only Dman we had that could do that was Jason Smith.

I agree. You sign both.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Thank you for the detailed and well-considered reply.

In 2018-19 HRR was $5.09 billion USD. For the cap to rise in only two season we would have to see HRR at $6.36 billion USD in 2021-22 and $6.68 billion USD in 2022-23. The big jump is needed because so much revenue will be lost between end of last season and this year.

The expiring NHL deal with NBC is $200 million USD a year. Say there is a crazy bidding war and fees go up 50%. That's an extra $100 million USD a year. The $650 million USD expansion fee isn't HRR, but even if it were the league would still need to find $250 million next year and $900 million for 2022-23 if the cap is going to go up after that.

In reality the league needs to find $1.8 billion in new revenue the next two seasons for the cap to rise after that. That is after you consider US tv rights going up by 50%.
The nhl is asking 750 million annually on a new tv deal.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I agree. You sign both.
I don't know. I still think we could shed salary by letting RNH go and sign someone cheaper. I love RNH but it may be time to let him go for someone cheaper. Gives us a chance to let go of Mikko or Smith and sign a good goalie or trade for one

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Claiming Nuge has been dominating while accusing others of not watching games.

That's bold.
He didn't claim Nuge has been dominating, he said thats our most dominating line at 5on5.

And he's not wrong, but its also mostly because Mcdavid is just that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad