Post-Game Talk: Smith with the (actual) shutout

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't know. I still think we could shed salary by letting RNH go and sign someone cheaper. I love RNH but it may be time to let him go for someone cheaper. Gives us a chance to let go of Mikko or Smith and sign a good goalie or trade for one

With the cash we get from buying out Neal and not resigning Smith we have $5M to sign a goalie. Not many goalie options next year anyway. Might be year 3 of Smith Kostco.

Keep Nuge if its 6M.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The nhl is asking 750 million annually on a new tv deal.

League can ask all they want, doesn't mean anyone will pay it.

Even if they get 750 million annually that still leaves them $900 million short of the revenue they need for the cap to start going up again in two years.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Defensive Pairs - Natural Stat Trick

The nurse Bear pairing is far and away the most successful pairing we’ve iced this year by every metric. Bear got hurt right before our first Ottawa game.

Bear was our best right D last year and this year.

Bear was terrible to start the year, so much so he was healthy scratched, Nurse has been carrying him since game 40 last year. Thats a fact.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bear was terrible to start the year, so much so he was healthy scratched, Nurse has been carrying him since game 40 last year. Thats a fact.
Bear was great to start the year. Then he had one bad game and Tippet got cute and took out the Oilers best RHD from last season. Then when Bear came back in he was great again until he got hurt.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Bear was great to start the year. Then he had one bad game and Tippet got cute and took out the Oilers best RHD from last season. Then when Bear came back in he was great again until he got hurt.

He looks at the rafters the whole time the puck is in the D zone.

Way in over his head.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Nurs has been carrying Bear since his first game and theirs nothing wrong with that. There’s a reason why Bear is only paired with Nurse and that’s because of two reasons. Nurse is trusted by the coaching staff to carry a rookie and Bear is trusted enough to play all those minutes with Nurse.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
What do you mean yet again?

Bear has proven you wrong his entire career it seems.
Yeah not really sure where this guy thinks he sees things all the time that the rest of the fanbase doesn’t... never seen him have a claim to fame here.

Bear is a solid player, I have my doubts he’s a top pairing player, but he’s shown he’s an NHLer, not “way over his head”.

I like our RD depth when he’s back with

Barrie
Bear
Bouchard
Larsson

I wouldn’t put him back with Nurse with how well Barrie has been rolling along

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Who cares? We're second place because of unforeseen cirmustances that the NHL nor the Oilers created. Be happy and enjoy it

Oh trust me, I'm happy. Especially given the way this team played after the first half dozen games or so.

I'm not really sure what you mean about being in second because of unforseen circumstances though. They're in second because they amassed the second most points amongst all other teams in the division.

But you are right. It's not something worth worrying about this early in the season. All I'm saying is that it's something we gotta keep in mind as we get closer to the end of the year. Having more points may not determine where they sit in the standings. I don't know about anyone else but missing out on the playoffs because another team in the division got a higher win %, after playing less games, even though they didn't have as many points would be a tough one to swallow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad