Post-Game Talk: Smith with the (actual) shutout

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I really like Nuge but right now he's one of the weaker links on this team.

Wasn't it only two weeks ago we were having the discussion of reuniting the best line in hockey last year (Nuge - Drai - Yamamoto) vs. keeping the best player in the game happy by keeping Nuge on McDavid's line?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Probably isn't one. But find me an organization in the last 100 years that has been as bad in a 10-year stretch as the DOD Oilers.

Hall, Eberle, Petry etc would all be right alongside Nuge on that list if they hadn't been traded away... not sure how Nuge gets any of that blame.
The Browns come to mind.
Nuge should’ve been the one traded, I mean we already had McDrai and now we have no wingers. Hall and Eberle trades were and are still bad deals.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Wasn't it only two weeks ago we were having the discussion of reuniting the best line in hockey last year (Nuge - Drai - Yamamoto) vs. keeping the best player in the game happy by keeping Nuge on McDavid's line?

I'll wager McD would gladly release Nugy from his line today. Make a simple Nugy/Kahun switch and see if things improve.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
JJ rolls his eyes when Jim Matheson is announced asking the next question in the post game. lmfao.

Tippett does the Jim Matheson eye roll as well, hilarious, also slams Matheson for asking about the contact tracing. Matheson just getting rolled.

Smith interview has some funny bits. "can you tell us what work you did in offseason to prepare?" No! haha

Also his response to "you can't get better at age 38" Got a real rise out of Smith. "Why, why not, I don't agree with that at all, I work hard every year to try to improve"

not sure who was asking the dope questions in Smith presser.

its been nice in one week to see Tom Brady and Mike Smith turning back the clock. heh, at my age that kind of thing is always nice to see..

There's just something intimidating about Mike Smith. Not like he's necessarily an asshole or anything, but you can tell he doesn't mess around. I really appreciate that about people.

As it relates to hockey, I've played with a few goalies like him who are very vocal on the ice and don't hesitate at all to scream at you if you do something dumb. I always like playing with goalies like that, really gives you peer pressure to not make mistakes. I presume his teammates appreciate it as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So everyone wants to change stuff after a 3-0 win? I call the hubris.
Tweak. It's not like the McDavid/Drai lines have been lighting it up for us. Imagine if we swapped a couple guys from those lines and see what happens. Maybe it turns into 6-0. Everyone can still play the same solid defensive game, no matter what.

Reactions: Biltmore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's just something intimidating about Mike Smith. Not like he's necessarily an asshole or anything, but you can tell he doesn't mess around. I really appreciate that about people.

As it relates to hockey, I've played with a few goalies like him who are very vocal on the ice and don't hesitate at all to scream at you if you do something dumb. I always like playing with goalies like that, really gives you peer pressure to not make mistakes. I presume his teammates appreciate it as well.

It keeps team mates focused an on top of team play because Smith is starting it up most times the puck is incoming. Hard for the club not to notice either that in the last 2 GPthat Smith erased one breakaway by coming out to take puck away, and stoned the early breakaway last night. his compete level is high, he's a guy that takes prep and focus seriously and tries to be a solid team guy. The players see it too.

14-4-4 record in 2020, to now, hard to ignore. Even with old Smith, this is often being one of the better clubs in the league with him in net, when he's healthy.

Not making any comparison, but similar breed, years ago I watched in horror as Ron Hextall nearly elevated his club to a SC win. Coming close, and to a close game 7 that needed an Anderson goal to close it out. I was there. Unbelievable tension in the rink.

WE have coaches on the bench and a coach on the ice with Smith in net. Helps the club to keep on the breakout and backchecking game they are supposed to be playing.

Reactions: AM and bellagiobob

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nuge at 7 is a little high but realistic. No way he gets more than 7.

Why would the Oilers pay Yamamoto $5 million?
Depends on what route they want to go and how he finishes the season. If you want to lock him for 8 years at 5 mil that might be a great deal in the long run. Maybe they go shorter term it’s tough to say.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
It keeps team mates focused an on top of team play because Smith is starting it up most times the puck is incoming. Hard for the club not to notice either that in the last 2 GPthat Smith erased one breakaway by coming out to take puck away, and stoned the early breakaway last night. his compete level is high, he's a guy that takes prep and focus seriously and tries to be a solid team guy. The players see it too.

14-4-4 record in 2020, to now, hard to ignore. Even with old Smith, this is often being one of the better clubs in the league with him in net, when he's healthy.

Not making any comparison, but similar breed, years ago I watched in horror as Ron Hextall nearly elevated his club to a SC win. Coming close, and to a close game 7 that needed an Anderson goal to close it out. I was there. Unbelievable tension in the rink.

WE have coaches on the bench and a coach on the ice with Smith in net. Helps the club to keep on the breakout and backchecking game they are supposed to be playing.

Yep agreed. It's often understated the importance a goalie has on guiding the play. Players sometimes forget the goalie has a better view of the ice than anybody else on the ice does, and it's really nice when you play with a goalie who can guide you a bit to make the right play and hear that immediate feedback. Not to say Kostko doesn't do these things, but he seems a lot more laid back and also English isn't his first language so I doubt players are getting as much of that immediate feedback with him.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
"Slander" implies it's untrue.

I really like Nuge but right now he's one of the weaker links on this team.

We've seen Nuge long enough to know what kind of player he is. He has rough stretches but then going on absolute scorchers too.
His inconsistency at times is annoying but we need more talented players like him, not less.

His contract will be a big conversation piece but I'm confident we can find a good middle ground for the value he brings. It would hurt like hell to see him go

Reactions: Biltmore and AM

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Tweak. It's not like the McDavid/Drai lines have been lighting it up for us. Imagine if we swapped a couple guys from those lines and see what happens. Maybe it turns into 6-0. Everyone can still play the same solid defensive game, no matter what.
what I find irritating is fans concerned about what contracts a year from now will look like when they make these evaluations. After we win the cup a lot of things will be different

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Not at all but any comparison between Nuge and Drai is just silly.

It's not a comparison and even if it was, it's nowhere near as silly as suggesting or implying one player is responsible for the coaching carousel in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad