Smith vs Gardiner

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Brendan Smith and Jake Gardiner are 2 Wisconsin U products currently prospects of the Wings and leafs. Similar skill sets, slick offensive guys while Smith has a bit of an edge and is a little tougher.

I've seen Gardiner getting alot of attention on these boards but Smith doesnt really get his due.

What does everyone think both of these players top out as.. Smith looks like a Kronwall type player who fights a bit as well.

Who would people compare Gardiner too and what do they think he can do in the long run. I think Smith is looking like a 50 point guy and maybe a number 2 Dman

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Gardiner hasn't gotten much attention at all. Gardiner put up some impressive numbers this year and I watched a handful of his games when he got signed to the Marlies. He didn't seem to struggle one bit from making the transition to the pro level which people were worried about. He could be one of, if not the best skater outside the NHL and uses his speed to lead the rush. He is solid defensively, uses more positioning rather than his body to defend but he isn't small. Moves the puck well on the powerplay too. I think Gardiner projects anywhere from a 2nd to 4th defenseman that can put up 40-50 points a season.

I have not seen Smith play that much but I heard he has also been progressing nicely.

birddog*

Brendan Smith and Jake Gardiner are 2 Wisconsin U products currently prospects of the Wings and leafs. Similar skill sets, slick offensive guys while Smith has a bit of an edge and is a little tougher.

I've seen Gardiner getting alot of attention on these boards but Smith doesnt really get his due.

What does everyone think both of these players top out as.. Smith looks like a Kronwall type player who fights a bit as well.

Who would people compare Gardiner too and what do they think he can do in the long run. I think Smith is looking like a 50 point guy and maybe a number 2 Dman

Gardiner's strength is his skating.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Don't see Gardiner putting up 40 points unless he's got a good triggerman paired with him, or the Leafs find a couple effective front-of-the-net guys. He played great for the Marlies, but that old scouting report that said he didn't really have the offensive zone creativity was at least partially correct. He doesn't like challenging defenders when he uses his speed to bust into the zone, and doesn't have a great shot. Not a huge deal, as he's not projected to be that number one point producing D-man, but just my take on his limitations. He was the only Marlies defenceman who was effective at getting into the zone and setting up on the PP, though, which is encouraging.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What was going on with Smith off the ice a while back? Seemed like he was getting into trouble or something like that? Can someone clarify?

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
Smith, easily... Gardiner will probably not make the nhl if he didn't have his skating ability. Unless what i've heard about his hockey sense is wrong?

edit: Post 2000:yo::laugh:

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
He was, now it's turning around a little bit. He will be a fine NHLer. Not a top pairing D like some think but a solid 3-5 guy depending on his development. There is nothing wrong with this.

This. He's gunna be a a mid pairing guy, anywhere from a great number 4 to a great number 3. His skating will take him pretty far as others have said, but everyone reads these "scouting reports" and figures they know everything. Gardiner, believe it or not, has very good defensive skills (not including physicality). Active stick, great agility, shrugs defenders off, he's quite poised back there. He is also a very effective short passer, and yes he does struggle in the offensive zone making plays that one would expect an offensive defenceman to make. My opinion is that he is a two way player more so than an OFD. He uses his speed, positioning, and stick to defend well, and short passes and his speed again to cause problems in the offensive zone. He's not one to sacrifice defense for the sake of offense.

My guess is he is a #3 very capable defenceman, who is good for somewhere between 35-40 points a season, perhaps more if he is on a capable PP. Regardless, Toronto fans will appreciate him for his defense as much as his offense once they get to see him regularly.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I have no idea, but given the fact that we are talking about Totonto who always seems to screw their prospects up - I'll go with Smith.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
He was, now it's turning around a little bit. He will be a fine NHLer. Not a top pairing D like some think but a solid 3-5 guy depending on his development. There is nothing wrong with this.

While I agree with you, your assessment on how he can only be a 3-5 guy, and never a top pairing guy is ludicrous. He's got the potential, just not a "lock" like some guys. Also, Gardiner doesn't get nearly as much attention as you think, still underrated IMO.

Reminds me of Brian Campbell.

Brendan Smith deserves a lot more attention though. Kids a stud.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
While I agree with you, your assessment on how he can only be a 3-5 guy, and never a top pairing guy is ludicrous. He's got the potential, just not a "lock" like some guys. Also, Gardiner doesn't get nearly as much attention as you think, still underrated IMO.

Reminds me of Brian Campbell.

Brendan Smith deserves a lot more attention though. Kids a stud.

Gardiner has some really good site. In his 10 games with the Marlies, that was the one thing that really showed, outside his skating. He should start with the Marlies for at least half a season (similar to Aulie) or the whole season. He won't be rushed.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Have only seen Smith once, but he seems like a good prospect.

I've seen Gardiner play about 5 times with the Marlies and he looked strong out there. He had no trouble at all adjusting from NCAA to pro, which is a good sign. I'd say he projects as a 2nd pairing guy and will likely start next season playing on the Marlies top pairing with Holzer. Hopefully he improves his game to the point where he is in the NHL by the end of next season, but even if that doesn't happen I think he'll be an NHL defenseman in 2012/2013.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Smith by a mile. Gardiner is one of the most overrated prospects of the past decade.

Really? Have you ever seen Gardiner play? I haven't seen anybody portray him as any sort of superstar. The vast majority of projections I've seen have him as a 2nd or 3rd pairing D man. What's so overrated about that? Of course you won't reply though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What was going on with Smith off the ice a while back? Seemed like he was getting into trouble or something like that? Can someone clarify?

Well he had a couple problems actually. He got an underage drinking charge at University (not a huge deal) and he got in a fight at a party when a person was trying to force themselves in and he wouldnt allow it or something along those lines.

Wow I'm glad to see some leafs fans with some objective opinions about the 2 players, some of my buddies talk like Gardiner is the next coming of the Messiah lol.

Does Gardiner have any kind of physical game like Smith does?

Madic

May 21, 2008
^ Not overly. He'll engage effectively along the boards -- part of his solid defensive game -- but he isn't an open ice hitter or an aggressive player. I suppose it would be more frustrating if he weren't fairly sound positionally, given that he's not a small guy.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Gardiner hasn't gotten much attention at all. Gardiner put up some impressive numbers this year and I watched a handful of his games when he got signed to the Marlies. He didn't seem to struggle one bit from making the transition to the pro level which people were worried about. He could be one of, if not the best skater outside the NHL and uses his speed to lead the rush. He is solid defensively, uses more positioning rather than his body to defend but he isn't small. Moves the puck well on the powerplay too. I think Gardiner projects anywhere from a 2nd to 4th defenseman that can put up 40-50 points a season.

I have not seen Smith play that much but I heard he has also been progressing nicely.

While Gardiner certainly is a great skater, he is not even the best skating D-Man on his NCAA team (see Justin Schultz).

BJD

May 26, 2011
What about throwing merril into the conversation? i know he's not as old or as far along as them but in his freshman year he went to the final and led his team for defencemen in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad