Smith vs Gardiner

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I have no idea, but given the fact that we are talking about Totonto who always seems to screw their prospects up - I'll go with Smith.

Yeah, that darn Totonto has no idea how to develop their prospects.

If you mean ToRonto, they have had no problem developing their prospects, see Schenn, Reimer, Gunnarsson, Kadri, Kulemin, Grabovski, Frattin etc. Plus McKegg and Blacker are looking like future impact players.

Spman48

May 24, 2011
I think Gardiner will be a Jordan Leopold type player.

First time I've heard that comparison but it seems like a pretty solid one.

Gardiner has all a lot of the tools that could help him develop into a top pairing defensemen but he likely will be a good second pairing defensemen, as many have already said before me.

This notion that all Leafs fans overblow their prospects or that the Leafs don't develop them properly or that they trade them all away is a bunch of crap. It has definitely been done before but since the latest GM change they've been pretty good about their trades and prospects but that likely doesn't matter to many.

BJD

May 26, 2011
Yeah, that darn Totonto has no idea how to develop their prospects.

If you mean ToRonto, they have had no problem developing their prospects, see Schenn, Reimer, Gunnarsson, Kadri, Kulemin, Grabovski, Frattin etc. Plus McKegg and Blacker are looking like future impact players.

schenn, grabovski and kulemin have turned out good. but to say frattin, reimer, kadri and frattin have turned out good or will be good is a bit premature.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I have no idea, but given the fact that we are talking about Totonto who always seems to screw their prospects up - I'll go with Smith.

Do you realize how many 1st and 2nd rounders the Leafs have traded over the past 15-20 years? ... The pick outright and/or the prospect within 2-4 years of drafting him. Now combine that (like everything) with the amount you'll hear about Toronto because of the media market.... and what you end up with is some overhyping of nothing prospects over the years.

A 4th rounder from 5 years ago has a huge season playing on a line with the "Wayne Gretzky of the ECHL", gets overhyped, moves up a level and disappears from the face of the earth. It happens a lot for every team, only you don't hear about them because they're in smaller markets and only hype the 1st round picks (that they kept).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad