Player Discussion Smith or Rittich down the stretch?

Smith or Rittich for the remainder of the season?

• Total voters

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Many of you throw doubt and shade... Yet within the organization there is none of that. You all want to point out every bad stat but the reality is after 60 plus games if you drop Smith's first 10 games Rittich and Smith are pretty much at the same save percentage. Through 60 minutes yesterday the Flames generated 60.87% of the high danger scoring chances against one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL. We dominated play yet many here are moaning that we are not perfect.

Rittich had a less than stellar night get over it. Statistically Calgary has been playing at a very high level since the Penguins game.

Every game we lose you guys put yourselves through the roller-coaster of how our goalies are not good enough yet both have very good winning records we have not seen since Kipper. This is the team you are stuck with until the end of the season so get over it and enjoy the hockey being played.

Statistically over their last 10 games individually there is very little difference between the men in the Calgary net so maybe it is time to let the coach do his job.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Many of you throw doubt and shade... Yet within the organization there is none of that. You all want to point out every bad stat but the reality is after 60 plus games if you drop Smith's first 10 games Rittich and Smith are pretty much at the same save percentage. Through 60 minutes yesterday the Flames generated 60.87% of the high danger scoring chances against one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL. We dominated play yet many here are moaning that we are not perfect.

Rittich had a less than stellar night get over it. Statistically Calgary has been playing at a very high level since the Penguins game.

Every game we lose you guys put yourselves through the roller-coaster of how our goalies are not good enough yet both have very good winning records we have not seen since Kipper. This is the team you are stuck with until the end of the season so get over it and enjoy the hockey being played.

Statistically over their last 10 games individually there is very little difference between the men in the Calgary net so maybe it is time to let the coach do his job.

So both are crap? Good to know...

I’m not bothering with this video. He’s garbage, quick to deflect when he isn’t good enough, and won’t be back. I’d be surprised if he found a job at all next year. And I sincerely doubt the organization has as much fate in these two than you think...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Translation: You fools, there is no problem. I have always been like that my whole career. Pay attention, I played great some time, lots of time I sucked. What is the problem?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I’m not bothering with this video. He’s garbage, quick to deflect when he isn’t good enough, and won’t be back. I’d be surprised if he found a job at all next year. And I sincerely doubt the organization has as much fate in these two than you think...

There’s more crap in this post than in both Smith and Rittich combined :)

Reactions: Drop Shock

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Here’s some reality for you, the 3rd worst combined save percentage in the entire West, 2nd worst among Western playoff teams and trending downwards since the new year. I really couldn’t imagine why anyone would have any faith in this tandem, they’re terrible. Smith leading the charge, since Christmas, with a show stopping .904! I mean, forget about shade, it’s almost pitch black.

Reactions: Mr Snrub

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There’s more crap in this post than in both Smith and Rittich combined :)

Here’s some reality for you, the 3rd worst combined save percentage in the entire West, 2nd worst among Western playoff teams and trending downwards since the new year. I really couldn’t imagine why anyone would have any faith in this tandem, they’re terrible. Smith leading the charge, since Christmas, with a show stopping .904! I mean, forget about shade, it’s almost pitch black.

Hmmmm...

Goddamn it, I wanted lehner soooo badly in the off-season... but no! We trust SMITTY to lead us the the promise land. LOL. The salt when we (likely) end up eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round because of these two is going to be supreme.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
So I guess the best solution for you guys that are unhappy with the tandem is to stop watching and following hockey this season and tune in again at the awards show. Maybe the Flames will make a change for you then.

If the Flames win the cup and they sign Smith again you can always cheer for the Oilers. Things must be more promising up the highway.

The season is done.. the Flames are cooked.

Best season in 30 years and you guys still can't commit to the bandwagon. Lol

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So I guess the best solution for you guys that are unhappy with the tandem is to stop watching and following hockey this season and tune in again at the awards show. Maybe the Flames will make a change for you then.

If the Flames win the cup and they sign Smith again you can always cheer for the Oilers. Things must be more promising up the highway.

The season is done.. the Flames are cooked.

Best season in 30 years and you guys still can't commit to the bandwagon. Lol

I agreed that it is what it is and all we can do is hope for the best but if the goalies are playing bad do you want people just to take it and say nothing? It is clearly a weak link

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I agreed that it is what it is and all we can do is hope for the best but if the goalies are playing bad do you want people just to take it and say nothing? It is clearly a weak link

It has taken 30 years to assemble a team capable of competing with the achievements of 1989. That is how good this Flames squad is.

Smith is 19-12-2 (57.6% Win Percentage) and Rittich is 22-6-5 (66.7% Win Percentage)(which gives us win percentages out of our goalies many of you have never seen in Calgary. Kipprusoff's best winning percentages were 57.5% and 59.2% and he is undoubtedly the best goalie to don the Flames jersey.

The only goalie with a better win percentage was Mike Vernon in 88-89 who had a record of 37-6- 5 for a win percentage of 77.1%. Of interest is his GAA of 3.31 and a save percentage of 87.8%.

This team is not built around a star goaltender like Price, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Lundqvist, Bishop, or Dubnyk.... Oh wait a minute none of them have a cup because they did not have the team in front of them.
upload_2019-3-6_8-43-40.png

Top Save percentages from 2012 and Jonathan Quick is the only one on the list with a cup in that year.

If you look at top save percentages historically there is little correlation of the goalies with the best save percentages winning the cup. If anything the data argues against it. The likely reason for that is the goalies with the highest save percentages have the highest shots against.

So in conclusion I am more comfortable with having our team with Smith and Rittich than having a star like Price and nothing in front of him and you guys should maybe rethink your approach.

Last edited:

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

This actually isn't true - I don't have the most trust in Smith but to say he doesn't accept blame after a poor performance is ridiculous. It's what I like about him compared to someone like Hiller, who would shit the bed countlessly and come out in the post scrum blaming his D and throwing his teammates under the bus.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
Hello Flames fans,
only my little research, would you interested in Holtby, if Capitals will decide to trade him in offseason? and what would you be willing to give us for him? thanks

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hello Flames fans,
only my little research, would you interested in Holtby, if Capitals will decide to trade him in offseason? and what would you be willing to give us for him? thanks

He could help us, I would think. His cap hit is problematic though. I would offer some mid level futures and Frolik to help clear cap space.

It's probably not a very exciting offer but realistically I think it's as high as the Flames should go.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It has taken 30 years to assemble a team capable of competing with the achievements of 1989. That is how good this Flames squad is.

Smith is 19-12-2 (57.6% Win Percentage) and Rittich is 22-6-5 (66.7% Win Percentage)(which gives us win percentages out of our goalies many of you have never seen in Calgary. Kipprusoff's best winning percentages were 57.5% and 59.2% and he is undoubtedly the best goalie to don the Flames jersey.

The only goalie with a better win percentage was Mike Vernon in 88-89 who had a record of 37-6- 5 for a win percentage of 77.1%. Of interest is his GAA of 3.31 and a save percentage of 87.8%.

This team is not built around a star goaltender like Price, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Lundqvist, Bishop, or Dubnyk.... Oh wait a minute none of them have a cup because they did not have the team in front of them.
View attachment 196003
Top Save percentages from 2012 and Jonathan Quick is the only one on the list with a cup in that year.

If you look at top save percentages historically there is little correlation of the goalies with the best save percentages winning the cup. If anything the data argues against it. The likely reason for that is the goalies with the highest save percentages have the highest shots against.

So in conclusion I am more comfortable with having our team with Smith and Rittich than having a star like Price and nothing in front of him and you guys should maybe rethink your approach.
That’s a great sales approach to selling your narrative, unfortunately it has absolutely nothing to do with the Flames. You know what would pertain to the Flames, a list of the teams that have won the cup with some of the worst goaltending in the league. Better yet, teams that have won the cup, with this level of goaltending that also rely on one line to generate almost 50% of their scoring. Not everyone is planning the parade route. In fact, as good as the team has been, I think they’re fatally flawed. By shutting down one player, you effectively neutralize 50% of our scoring. I like Monahan but he really doesn’t do anything but score. The kid can barely carry the puck into the offensive zone on his own. Teams don’t worry about him cutting through 2 or 3 players, he’ll pass to Johnny. Now give Johnny the corner, cutting off the middle. Johnny has a choice, head into the dreaded corner or cut across the blue line, against the grain, trying to stick handle through 3 defenders. Either he loses the puck across the line or he stops north of the circle, failing to drive the puck deep. Both options create extremely high danger circumstances. As amazing as Johnny is, I honestly can’t remember a player that creates so many high danger situations, at BOTH ends of the ice. Until we have a centre that can take some of the reins back from Johnny, in terms of zone entry, this team could destroy any top goaltender’s stats. But that’s not the main problem here because our offence is still good enough to give us a decent shot at winning. The problem is when we give up these high danger chances and our goaltenders let in shots, on top of that, that most middle of the board AHL goalies stop regularly. The way the team and goaltenders are playing right now, I’ll be very happy to make it to the second round. You don’t win cups with suspect centre depth and poor goaltending. You might have a shot with one or the other, but definitely not both.

Last edited:
Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 196003

Winning percentage is not the stats to measure goalies...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 196003

Winning percentage is not the stats to measure goalies...
Yes we have the best team since 1989. Nobody argues that

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
That’s a great sales approach to selling your narrative, unfortunately it has absolutely nothing to do with the Flames. You know what would pertain to the Flames, a list of the teams that have won the cup with some of the worst goaltending in the league. Better yet, teams that have won the cup, with this level of goaltending that also rely on one line to generate almost 50% of their scoring. Not everyone is planning the parade route. In fact, as good as the team has been, I think they’re fatally flawed. By shutting down one player, you effectively neutralize 50% of our scoring. I like Monahan but he really doesn’t do anything but score. The kid can barely carry the puck into the offensive zone on his own. Teams don’t worry about him cutting through 2 or 3 players, he’ll pass to Johnny. Now give Johnny the corner, cutting off the middle. Johnny has a choice, head into the dreaded corner or cut across the blue line, against the grain, trying to stick handle through 3 defenders. Either he loses the puck across the line or he stops north of the circle, failing to drive the puck deep. Both options create extremely high danger circumstances. As amazing as Johnny is, I honestly can’t remember a player that creates so many high danger situations, at BOTH ends of the ice. Until we have a centre that can take some of the reins back from Johnny, in terms of zone entry, this team could destroy any top goaltender’s stats. But that’s not the main problem here because our offence is still good enough to give us a good shot at winning. The problem is when we give up these high danger chances and our goaltenders let in shots, on top of that, that most middle of the board AHL goalies stop regularly. The way the team and goaltenders are playing right now, I’ll be very happy to make it to the second round.

To the goaltending fallacy you are trying to push:
  • The Flames are 19th in save percentage ahead of Minnesota, San Jose(The actual worst for save %) and Vegas and just behind Washington, and the Blues.
  • In goals against the Flames are tied for 7th Best --124
  • HDCA the Flames are 10th
  • Shots against Calgary is tied for third best with-- 793

Since the All-star break the bottom 3 lines have produced garnering wins. Much of your rant is just that. You are looking for issues that may or may not be there in the playoffs.

I have concerns about Johnny's effectiveness come the post-season and I have been on the record in that regard since the beginning of the season BUT Johnny has shown he is able to adapt this season so I am willing to give the coach and players my faith that the issues have been addressed.

Since really looking into the goaltending numbers today I am sold that we are on the right path. 3rd best in shots against is a very promising stat. Goals against 7th is very respectable and the HDCA is in the top third. I knew we had offense but defensively the Flames are almost as good.

All the crap said in this thread and others is just that... Fear wrapped in half framed stats.

Last edited:

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
With this team, I'd much rather see Rittich. I don't know about the stats, but just from watching he is much calmer in net and lets the game come to him. He moves well and his balance is great, so when he does put out a juicy rebound, he's there and mostly square to it. I feel he is just more consistent than Smith.

If this team were a playoff bubble team, I'd rather see Smith. I feel he has much higher highs when he is on and feeling the game. He needs a high workload and a lot of shots to get into it though. Unfortunately, I think he has been kind of pushing things sometimes this year trying to stay involved in the game. He is way more aggressive than he needs to be and you can see that when he is almost on his toes, causing his balance to be off. When he's fighting it, he is always falling forward anytime he has to move laterally. It's like he is reaching instead of letting things come to him. In the stretches where he's looked good, he seems a lot more relaxed, and you can see that when he does his butterfly slides he is balanced and keeping square instead of reaching and ending up on his belly. Same as him wandering too much to play the puck in an attempt to stay involved in the game.

I'm more worried about the inconsistencies up front and not being able to bury chances lately than I am with the goaltending. The flames are where they are so this year with exactly the same sort of goaltending as we're getting right now. It isn't like they were playing lights out and suddenly fell off a cliff.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
To the goaltending fallacy you are trying to push:
  • The Flames are 19th in save percentage ahead of Minnesota, San Jose(The actual worst for save %) and Vegas and just behind Washington, and the Blues.
  • In goals against the Flames are tied for 7th Best --124
  • HDCA the Flames are 10th
  • Shots against Calgary is tied for third best with-- 793

Since the All-star break the bottom 3 lines have produced garnering wins. Much of your rant is just that. You are looking for issues that may or may not be there in the playoffs.

I have concerns about Johnny's effectiveness come the off-season and I have been on the record in that regard since the beginning of the season BUT Johnny has shown he is able to adapt this season so I am willing to give the coach and players my faith that the issues have been addressed.

Since really looking into the goaltending numbers today I am sold that we are on the right path. 3rd best in shots against is a very promising stat. Goals against 7th is very respectable and the HDCA is in the top third. I knew we had offense but defensively the Flames are almost as good.

All the crap said in this thread and others is just that... Fear wrapped in half framed stats.
I’m not sure where you’re getting your stats, but you might want to recheck them. The Flames have a combined save percentage of .903, the Wild have a .908 and Vegas has a .909. Only the Sharks and Chicago have a worse combined save percentage in the entire West, with the Sharks being the only worse playoff team, in the Conference. And yes, the goaltending has completely dropped off. Rittich was sporting a >.920, as recently as mid January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad