Player Discussion Smith or Rittich down the stretch?

Smith or Rittich for the remainder of the season?

• Total voters

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not gonna bash Smith, but I do find it annoying that lately people keep using a convenient cutoff to show Smith is better.

No.

Rittich - .913 / 2.56 GAA
Smith - .895 / 2.92 GAA

IF and WHEN Rittich's numbers for the season slip behind Smith you reevaluate.

You don't cherry pick convenient stretches of games where one guy is beating up bottom feeders while the other guy is getting shelled by bonafide offensive powerhouses.

Now that said, Smith's GAA is perfectly stable enough for us to beat teams like San Jose and Winnipeg who have their own issues keeping the puck out of the net. But there is no argument he should start over Rittich.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Doesn't Mike Smith hold the longest win streak of the season over Rittich though? Loses game to break that streak and...

giphy.gif

I totally get that some fans want a goalie that would give them more comfort in net (as opposed to a river boat gambler like Smith), but the situation isn't as dire as others make it out to be in having Rittich/Smith tandem or Peters giving Smith a bulk pack of game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not gonna bash Smith, but I do find it annoying that lately people keep using a convenient cutoff to show Smith is better.

No.

Rittich - .913 / 2.56 GAA
Smith - .895 / 2.92 GAA

IF and WHEN Rittich's numbers for the season slip behind Smith you reevaluate.

You don't cherry pick convenient stretches of games where one guy is beating up bottom feeders while the other guy is getting shelled by bonafide offensive powerhouses.

Now that said, Smith's GAA is perfectly stable enough for us to beat teams like San Jose and Winnipeg who have their own issues keeping the puck out of the net. But there is no argument he should start over Rittich.
It doesn't really matter who is better over the course of the season when you're talking specifically about the rest of the season, though. At the time the poll was created, Smith had won back the #1 role by playing a stretch of solid games on the tail end of Rittich struggling for a few games. Now Rittich has had a couple of solid games and Smith has dropped the ball again, so presumably it's Rittich's job to lose again. Not out of the question that it flip-flops again at least a couple times by the end of the season.

I think that this poll perhaps is an oversimplification. People are forced to choose one or the other as an absolute, even though it's a very fluid answer that will change, and has changed, multiple times over the course of the season.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
People are forced to choose one or the other as an absolute, even though it's a very fluid answer that will change, and has changed, multiple times over the course of the season.
Not for me it hasn't. Even when Smith played well for these past couple of weeks I still didn't trust him. I was always on the edge of my seat waiting for the shoe to drop.... like it has for most of this season. We often win despite Smith not because of Smith. Winning because of Smith is usually the exception not the rule.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Smith was playing decent because the Flames were playing stupidly good defence. The other teams were averaging like <20 shots a game and Smith would have to make at most 2 really good saves. Even his good save at the end of the game against the Islanders was only a decent save because he completely f***ed the first attempt and whiffed trying to cover the puck. Flames were winning games 2-1 because of stifling defence, not good goaltending. Smith was never more than fine, there was no games he stole during the stretch.

Reactions: super6646

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Peters and BT have confidence in Smith and you can moan all you want but in the end they are the ones driving the bus.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Peters and BT have confidence in Smith and you can moan all you want but in the end they are the ones driving the bus.
That's what they say in public but really... Are they going to say anything else to reporters? We shall see going forward which goalie gets the tough games... That will be the guy that they have confidence in. I'll be shocked if Smith starts the Leaf game. That's one of the tough ones.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's what they say in public but really... Are they going to say anything else to reporters? We shall see going forward which goalie gets the tough games... That will be the guy that they have confidence in. I'll be shocked if Smith starts the Leaf game. That's one of the tough ones.

There is no way Smith is starting against the Leafs. That would be a big statement against Rittich given Rittich has been fairly solid in his last two starts.

I think there's a fair bit of knee-jerking going on, but Smith didn't win back his starter's net so solidly that the coaches would overlook a game like last night. And similarly, he hasn't lost the net with that one outing to the extent that he did earlier in the season (where no matter what Rittich did, he would still get the next game). I would imagine that Smith will get a game again fairly soon unless Rittich goes on an absolute tear.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I will be very surprised if Smith gets the start in upcoming games against the Knights, Jets, and Sharks. Any starts Smith gets will be against the bottom feeders... Kings, Sens, etc.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There is no way Smith is starting against the Leafs. That would be a big statement against Rittich given Rittich has been fairly solid in his last two starts.

I think there's a fair bit of knee-jerking going on, but Smith didn't win back his starter's net so solidly that the coaches would overlook a game like last night. And similarly, he hasn't lost the net with that one outing to the extent that he did earlier in the season (where no matter what Rittich did, he would still get the next game). I would imagine that Smith will get a game again fairly soon unless Rittich goes on an absolute tear.
Exactly this.

Normally I'd suggest our next back to back might tell us something, but since Smith has owned the Coyotes (4-1-0, 1.41 GAA, .949 SV%) since being traded here, I think it's a guarantee he gets his former team again this week.

Actually looking at the schedule for the next couple weeks, I expect the following (and why):
  • March 4th, vs Maple Leafs: Rittich (after the last game it makes sense to start BDR)
  • March 6th, at Golden Knights: Rittich (back 2 back, other game vs Smith's former team)
  • March 7th, at Coyotes: Smith (former team, that he has owned)
  • March 10, vs Golden Knights: TBD (Rittich if he plays really well on the 6th, otherwise Smith)
  • March 12th, vs Devils: Rittich (Played very well against Devils last week)
I think the next game that actually tells us something about how Peters is feeling about the goaltenders, is the back to back versus the Rangers and Jets. I suspect the hotter of the two will get the Jets.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I will be very surprised if Smith gets the start in upcoming games against the Knights, Jets, and Sharks. Any starts Smith gets will be against the bottom feeders... Kings, Sens, etc.
Common sense says Rittich will start against the Golden Knights next time out because it is the first half of back to backs and the Coyotes are Smith's former team and he's owned them since being traded here.

Saying you will be surprised if Smith starts against the Jets or Sharks is nothing short of your unencumbered bias against Smith. Thankfully your bias doesn't make the decisions for this club or the Flames wouldn't have started Smith against the Penguins and Islanders (x2) at the end of last month.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is essentially the same as saying that you would be surprised if Rittich has a bad game in the next couple, because that's really all it would take. If both goalies are outstanding from here on out, Rittich will get the bulk of the starts from here on out because he's in that spot now.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Common sense says Rittich will start against the Golden Knights next time out because it is the first half of back to backs and the Coyotes are Smith's former team and he's owned them since being traded here.

Saying you will be surprised if Smith starts against the Jets or Sharks is nothing short of your unencumbered bias against Smith. Thankfully your bias doesn't make the decisions for this club or the Flames wouldn't have started Smith against the Penguins and Islanders (x2) at the end of last month.
We shall see. I doubt that Smith has much of leash left. As I said I expect Smith to start the easy games and I also expect him to make them "interesting". It's always exciting to watching Smith fight for control of the puck behind his net... never giving up until it's too late. Those empty net goals are fun to watch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We shall see. I doubt that Smith has much of leash left. As I said I expect Smith to start the easy games and I also expect him to make them "interesting". It's always exciting to watching Smith fight for control of the puck behind his net... never giving up until it's too late. Those empty net goals are fun to watch.
Do you have absolutely any ability to see beyond your own opinions? I mean why let something stupid like facts cloud your judgment? Amirite?

Smith just f***ing won 5 games in a row, 3 of which being against very good teams. But because of 1 game you are now claiming that he has no lease left, will he never face another good opponent, and will also struggle against weak teams? My god, how do you even take yourself seriously.

I get having strong opinions, as I for one have very strong ones. But you need some ability to separate what you want to happen and what you expect to happen.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do you have absolutely any ability to see beyond your own opinions? I mean why let something stupid like facts cloud your judgment? Amirite?

Smith just ****ing won 5 games in a row, 3 of which being against very good teams. But because of 1 game you are now claiming that he has no lease left, will he never face another good opponent, and will also struggle against weak teams? My god, how do you even take yourself seriously.

I get having strong opinions, as I for one have very strong ones. But you need some ability to separate what you want to happen and what you expect to happen.
Fact: .895 Sv%
Fact: 2.95 GAA
Fact: Smith continually puts himself in situations where bad things happen
Fact: Having 5 good games is the exception not the rule

Almost everyone on HF can see what a disaster Smith is in net. Why can't you?
You ask how can I take myself seriously? I can because the facts support my position.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

You ask how can I take myself seriously? I can because the facts support my position.
Rubi why can't you let others have their opinion? Why can't the points that they make be as valid as yours? And why is it so important that you be right?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Rubi why can't you let others have their opinion? Why can't the points that they make be as valid as yours? And why is it so important that you be right?
Because some people say inflammatory stuff about me like this..
I mean why let something stupid like facts cloud your judgment?
And then I feel attacked and then obligated to defend myself.
There was no reason for his first paragraph other than a personal attack. He does that often to people.

Reactions: super6646

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because some people say inflammatory stuff about me like this..

And then I feel attacked and then obligated to defend myself.
There was no reason for his first paragraph other than a personal attack. He does that often to people.
I'm said that stuff because you aren't giving facts like recent play and the coaching staff relying on Smith it's due.

I get you hate Smith and I don't give two f***s about that. But, you are ignoring facts for no other reason than you have him.

You simply are not giving this any logical or rational thought .inste inyiu are allowing your emotions control your thought process.

It's also pretty ridiculous you praise Rittich's last two starts to try and prove he's bounced back, but completely ignore that Smith has been better than Rittich has since the all-star break.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

You cherry pick stats. Like hen you use a two game same size to claim Rittich is currently playing better (even though using the same same size, Smith's we're better against tougher competition), completely ignoring they were against two of the worst teams in the league. Then you refuse to give Smith any credit for playing better recently.

Yes, Smith's stats for the season suck, literally no one is claiming different. What's being claimed is he's played better than Rittich recently. Which is just as factual. And if you ask me even more important because Rittich being great in October through December isn't going to win us games now, an Smith being bad before the all-star break doesn't lose us games now.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You cherry pick stats. Like hen you use a two game same size to claim Rittich is currently playing better (even though using the same same size, Smith's we're better against tougher competition), completely ignoring they were against two of the worst teams in the league. Then you refuse to give Smith any credit for playing better recently.

Yes, Smith's stats for the season suck, literally no one is claiming different. What's being claimed is he's played better than Rittich recently. Which is just as factual. And if you ask me even more important because Rittich being great in October through December isn't going to win us games now, an Smith being bad before the all-star break doesn't lose us games now.
I do and have given credit to Smith playing better. But then he reverted back to ... Not playing so good.
I guess it all comes down to trust. I don't trust him and it's not like my fears are unfounded. You, and some others, do trust him. I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. Two opinions that likely won't change in the next 17 games.
Let's leave it at that and part ways with a handshake among two ardent Flames fans who just want the team to win.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I do and have given credit to Smith playing better. But then he reverted back to ... Not playing so good.
I guess it all comes down to trust. I don't trust him and it's not like my fears are unfounded. You, and some others, do trust him. I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. Two opinions that likely won't change in the next 17 games.
Let's leave it at that and part ways with a handshake among two ardent Flames fans who just want the team to win.
He "reverted to not playing good" for literally 1 poor play behind the net and 1 soft goal.

But again, you are missing my entire point of what I took issue with. Let's see if I can articulate it better.

You are stating what you think should happen as what you believe the Flames will actually do, despite recent evidence to the contrary. That is my issue.

If you think the Flames are not going to give Smith another chance because of 2 plays in a game where the entire team played poorly, you are kidding yourself. Smith is going to get another opportunity and it will be fairly soon.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks except Bill Peters and any coach worth a damn will give a recent hot hand an opportunity and won't bury them over two misplays.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He "reverted to not playing good" for literally 1 poor play behind the net and 1 soft goal.

But again, you are missing my entire point of what I took issue with. Let's see if I can articulate it better.

You are stating what you think should happen as what you believe the Flames will actually do, despite recent evidence to the contrary. That is my issue.

If you think the Flames are not going to give Smith another chance because of 2 plays in a game where the entire team played poorly, you are kidding yourself. Smith is going to get another opportunity and it will be fairly soon.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks except Bill Peters and any coach worth a damn will give a recent hot hand an opportunity and won't bury them over two misplays.
I do think Smith will get more starts, I just don't think it will be in the tougher games where one or two bad goals will likely cost us the game. I may be wrong, but I hope not because I don't trust him. Peters will make the decision and if Rittich is playing well I don't see any reason to go with Smith in those games. Maybe Peters will but I don't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2