Player Discussion Smith or Rittich down the stretch?

Smith or Rittich for the remainder of the season?

• Total voters

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I do think Smith will get more starts, I just don't think it will be in the tougher games where one or two bad goals will likely cost us the game. I may be wrong, but I hope not because I don't trust him. Peters will make the decision and if Rittich is playing well I don't see any reason to go with Smith in those games. Maybe Peters will but I don't.
Again, you are completely ignoring the fact Rittch has not been good recently.

If you were a coach worried about winning games right now, which would you go with?

Player A:
Since Christmas: .904 SV%, 2.81 GAA
Since All-Star Break: .911 SV%, 2.61 GAA

Player B:
Since Christmas: .902 SV%, 2.86 GAA
Since All-Star Break: .884 SV%, 3.02 GAA

Personally, I go with Player A, as they are trending in the right direction and I'm willing to bet any coach would agree.

Oh, and don't even bother answering, because if you say B, you'd be lying.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Give Smith a couple more games to see which real Smith shows up and go from there

I don't have much fate in him but we are stuck

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Give Smith a couple more games to see which real Smith shows up and go from there

I don't have much fate in him but we are stuck
While, I don't agree with you, at least you are realistic about what's going to happen. Whether people like him or not, over the last month+, Smith has played his way back into a position to get more games.

Reactions: No Draft

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Absolutely f-ing not to starting Smith any more games this season.

Being "better lately" for Smith = 5 games out of last 10 below .9 save %
Being "bad lately" for Rittich = 4 games out of last 10 below .9 save %

One of these goalies gives us a substantially better chance to win a game night in and night out, irrespective of how the team is playing in front of them. One of these goalies requires the team to be playing at peak levels in order for us to win.

The only short coming of our coaching staff this season has been a very puzzling favoritism to a washed up old goalie. Time to cut that out- if we start Smith in the playoffs it's going to be a bloodbath. Give Rittich the starts from now until then, show the confidence in him that he has deserved with his play this season, and tell smith to pipe down on the bench.

Reactions: featherhawk

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
While, I don't agree with you, at least you are realistic about what's going to happen. Whether people like him or not, over the last month+, Smith has played his way back into a position to get more games.

"played his way back in"

This is a goalie that still is in the bottom-5 statistically of ALL GOALIES who have played an NHL game this season. Not starters, but literally all goalies in the league. Behind the second best team in the league.
The only goalies behind smith statistically play for the bottom feeders in the league.

This is a guy who has almost no lateral movement capability, a gaping 5 hole, and very questionable decision with the puck (so much so that opposing teams have legitimately based their strategy against us on cannibalizing him- that's how much of a weakness he is.)
Out of all former starting goalies, Smith has suffered the most due to the pad changes- mostly because he was a goalie who relied on size and positioning over other qualities.
Time to cut the crap- there's no "getting him going". We saw that this weekend- even with the "confidence boost" of a recent spate of wins, he was easily targeted and made vulnerable. The playoffs are going to DESTROY him.

No chance we should put him anywhere close to the net for the playoffs, and that starts by getting Rittich in as much as possible before that.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Cherry pick stats since the allstar break really doesn’t mean much. You look at quality of competition and it wasn’t Smith starting against our closest division rivals or the best team in league. Probably not the Leafs either. Smith has gotten a few bubble teams and the Islanders. No top team is scared of playing the Isles, if they are, they probably don’t deserve to be a top team. With such a small sample size, the difference between Smith and Rittich’s totals, are literally who starts the Tampa game, which usually isn’t very good for opposing goaltender’s stats. I don’t think management has faith in either of these guys. I mean, you don’t inquire about the likes of Howard and Quick if you do. Smith having the confidence to stop a beach ball, heading into the playoffs, is obviously pretty important to management. Not only because they don’t fully trust Rittich but also because the team had absolutely no faith in front of Smith, and it clearly showed in their play.
Treliving made a purpose of stressing how important the Iginla game was to not only the organization, but the fans and Iginla family, as well. I don’t think Smith ******** the bed, in that game, did much for the faith of the organization, when it matters.....like the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gnome

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Rittich in the nets increases the Flames changes exponentially over Smith.
Rittich has a chance to play a big role in the flames going deep in the playoffs.
Smith no longer has the skills to that for this club

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Rittich in the nets increases the Flames changes exponentially over Smith.
Rittich has a chance to play a big role in the flames going deep in the playoffs.
Smith no longer has the skills to that for this club
They said that about Holtby last season... Fleury before that... Crawford... Thomas... and Cam Ward. If you guys keep it up Smooth will win the Conn Smythe.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
They said that about Holtby last season... Fleury before that... Crawford... Thomas... and Cam Ward. If you guys keep it up Smooth will win the Conn Smythe.

Cam Ward was a rookie when he won the cup and he’s been pretty garbage since then lol

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Surprisingly enough this thread has suddenly become very quiet.

PS. I think Calgary is fine moving forward despite a weak game from Rittich. Things will turn. I would rather struggles now than in the playoffs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Surprisingly enough this thread has suddenly become very quiet.

PS. I think Calgary is fine moving forward despite a weak game from Rittich. Things will turn. I would rather struggles now than in the playoffs.

Yeah. Ideally we do a better job in the offensive end so that the goalie doesn't have to be perfect. Think about how this game could have gone if we put away those chances in the first.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Yeah. Ideally we do a better job in the offensive end so that the goalie doesn't have to be perfect. Think about how this game could have gone if we put away those chances in the first.

Oh you are right it was crazy... The Flames were up 18-12 at the end of the second in high danger chances.

THat said a little bad luck. Not getting the save when we needed it and things unraveled... The first 2 periods were actually dominated by the Flames. Czarnik and Monhan should have had multi-goal games but man Freddy did his job... or the puck rolled off the heal of the stick... Just one of those nights.

The Flames are not far off from firing on all cylinders again. Janko's line is dominating. Johnny and Mony had it going but got frustrated. Backs had a tough night but he did shut down Matthews.

I do like grape Fanta better than Kylington in the line-up but I trust Peters knows what he is doing.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
honestly don't think tonight was a game you could evaluate Rittich on:

Goal 1 - Ennis walks in alone and goes top shelf - Backlund, Hamonic, Gio at fault

Goal 2 - Breakaway, Rittich stops it, then Hamonic fails to get his guy

Goal 3 - Brodie gets walked and Gio lets the puck go through him for a backdoor tip

Goal 4 - Andersson caught chasing, then recovers and the puck bounces off him and into the net with a wierd trajectory

Goal 5 - Probably the one Rittich wants back, but Hamonic and Hanifin both seemed to screen him

Goal 6 - bounce off of Hamonic

When our D have a bad night doesn't matter who is in net.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Goal 1 - Ennis walks in alone and goes top shelf - Backlund, Hamonic, Gio at fault

Goal 3 - Brodie gets walked and Gio lets the puck go through him for a backdoor tip

Goal 4 - Andersson caught chasing, then recovers and the puck bounces off him and into the net with a wierd trajectory

Goal 5 - Probably the one Rittich wants back, but Hamonic and Hanifin both seemed to screen him

Decent breakdown. The first goal I think you can put mostly on Hamonic. He and Backlund were in no position to defend that shoot-in, but Backlund is right to go and challenge. Hamonic needs to just collapse to the middle and take away the most dangerous part of the ice. He kind of just wandered to the corner and stood there, looking lost.

You flipped goals 3 and 4, but that second Ennis goal is no one's fault. The fourth goal I thought Brodie never got fully out of position in spite of the nice move. Giordano just needs to stay on his man. A cross-crease pass needs to be contested when he's standing there. I think that's a mistake where he just had his focus drift for a second watching Marner, and Gio would like to have it back. The frustrating part is that you know why we get frustrated by all the times the Flames pass instead of shooting? It's because those cross-crease passes generally get deflected away even if the defence is taken by surprise. And then we go and reward them for it. Ugh.

Goal 5... come on. It's not "probably one Rittich wants back," it's up there with the worst goals of the year. Worse than the first Evander Kane goal from the last Sharks game. Worse than the Donato goal last game. I'd say on par with the Montreal game winner earlier in the year. It's just a good thing that it was already out of reach at that point.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Just call up Tyler Parsons or Gillies and hope one of them turns in to Binnington.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Smith apples have been busted for stronger games. When the Flames needed a timely save from Rittich he was not there.... The fluttering knuckler- definitely was there to be stopped... Sealing of the ice after the breakaway- definitely was there to be stopped.. The Smith like 5 hole ... The shot could be seen from almost the blueline--it doesn't matter if Hanifin and Hamonic were there.

If you are gonna bust Smith apples for these type of goals you must do the same for Rittich. You guys freaked on Lunatic when he brought up stats from x-mas and the all-star break but here when RIttich has the same type of performance you are defending BSD.

Fact is Smith has been the stronger Goalie since Christmas. Rittich was brilliant in October and November.

FYI I like both goalies and Smith is a very good mentor for Rittich.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Smith apples have been busted for stronger games. When the Flames needed a timely save from Rittich he was not there.... The fluttering knuckler- definitely was there to be stopped... Sealing of the ice after the breakaway- definitely was there to be stopped.. The Smith like 5 hole ... The shot could be seen from almost the blueline--it doesn't matter if Hanifin and Hamonic were there.

If you are gonna bust Smith apples for these type of goals you must do the same for Rittich. You guys freaked on Lunatic when he brought up stats from x-mas and the all-star break but here when RIttich has the same type of performance you are defending BSD.

Fact is Smith has been the stronger Goalie since Christmas. Rittich was brilliant in October and November.

FYI I like both goalies and Smith is a very good mentor for Rittich.

In general Smith has been the better goalie for a while now. i however, do not trust him to not make at least 1 wandering, dangerous play that will result or almost result in a goal. It happens every time he is in net. I love his puck handling abilities, it makes us better, but he has to pick his spots wisely. The other problem is that both are letting in at least one giant beach ball a game, we cannot have that.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It really doesn’t matter, at this point. I’m hoping for a huge, embarrassing blow out against Vegas. This team needs it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why anybody would try to defend rittich last night

Just be honest, he looks bad. He started the season well but has looked worse since the new year.

Only thing going for him is Smith does not have the firm grip on the number 1 job yet

Reactions: SKRusty

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
At this point, this should just be turned into an all purpose goaltending thread, titled “Who sucks worse, Smith or Rittich and their eventual replacements”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad