Injury Report: Smith "Lower Body Injury" - [UPD: Returned to AZ to consult team med staff]

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm very curious to see what the prices will be on goalies like Fleury and Bishop.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are you really of the opinion that Smith is a better and more reliable goalie than Fleury? Is this really even a debate?

It's not. Fleury is a better teammate as well, by all accounts.

The combination of paying Smith his buyout + taking on Fleury might be too much to swing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Are you really of the opinion that Smith is a better and more reliable goalie than Fleury? Is this really even a debate?

It's not a debate. Goalkeeping can be debated by the numbers. Wins, save percentage, etc. I think that Fluery has it all over Smith for the past couple of years.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

I didn't say he was better. I watch a lot of flyers games and they play Pittsburgh a ton. Fleury lets in a lot of softies. A lot. He'd be ripped apart on this forum every bit as much as smith.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

The combination of paying Smith his buyout + taking on Fleury might be too much to swing.

If Smith is out long-term again for what the 3rd year in a row do we even have a choice on a buyout? It sucks but if we ever want to have a chance to progress as an organization we need to move on.

If/when we move on it becomes a question of who is available and at what price. Fleury stands out as he has to be protected for expansion draft and the Penguins are not going to want to lose Murray. Bishop and Pavelac (not a big fan) are other options. Yes expensive. Not sure I want to go with a cheap alternative. Is Domingue ready or will he ever be ready?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say he was better. I watch a lot of flyers games and they play Pittsburgh a ton. Fleury lets in a lot of softies. A lot. He'd be ripped apart on this forum every bit as much as smith.

He's still better and more reliable than Smith. Yes, he lets in softies; especially against the Flyers and I cringe when I watch him in the playoffs. That being said he isn't permanently on the injured reserve list and he would stabilize our goaltending.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

A better teammate? I've never seen anything negative a teammate said about smith. It's actually quite the opposite. It's always positive. Especially from Doan. The only thing I ever read negative about smith is this "death stare" thing that has become a thing on this forum. Show me something to prove that it's actually anything more than a coyotes forum hfboards myth then maybe I'll jump on board.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
A better teammate? I've never seen anything negative a teammate said about smith. It's actually quite the opposite. It's always positive. Especially from Doan. The only thing I ever read negative about smith is this "death stare" thing that has become a thing on this forum. Show me something to prove that it's actually anything more than a coyotes forum hfboards myth then maybe I'll jump on board.
Well, he didn't get along with Riberio.

Not sure thats a negative

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Food for thought: It's not like there were a ton of "Wow Bryz is such a horrible teammate" articles floating around up until Todd freaking Walsh of all people starting throwing a little shade his way a few months before he was outta here. Only once he was gone did all the info flow.

I'm sure Smith has a degree of earned respect that puts a blinder on other behavior from the remaining vets/coaching staff as well for past performances. Maybe they love him, I have no idea. At some point though you gotta give up hoping that returns over any long period of time.

Whatever though, sunk cost and we're not competing right now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Nothing will be said on record until Smith departs the franchise. Even then, players don't make it a habit of publicly calling out other players, even if it's deserved.

His behavior and demeanor on the ice is worse than Bryz ever was.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Nothing will be said on record until Smith departs the franchise. Even then, players don't make it a habit of publicly calling out other players, even if it's deserved.

I have never gotten the idea that Smith was disliked by members of his own team. My other thought is that if this was actually true, wouldn't the management have created a more conscious effort to find a backup goalie whom they would prefer to play over Smith?

His behavior and demeanor actually are like someone who actually wants to do well, and sometimes can't. Remember he also death stared Yandle when Yandle tried to clear the puck by banking it around the boards and nearly scored on Smith. In a way, how is that any different than if Smith glares at someone b/c they weren't positioned right? Especially so if this had been discussed as part of pre game or in game management? A missed assignment can mean a much harder shot to defend against, and based on the number of shots faced over the past few years, I am pretty sure that a lot of missed assignments have led to that. Goalies let in softies - that is his equivalent of a missed assignment, but soft goals are relatively rare, IMO. How many goals go in before a genuine "soft" goal occurs? 15? 20? 25? 30? Pretty sure he makes a few high quality saves to balance that out.

The idea that he is a cancer is laughable.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My concern with MAF is age. He'll be 32 next season. Bishop would be 30 but way more expensive. Can't really think of any other goalies available because of expansion who would be a good add.

Also if we want to upgrade our goaltending if Smith is out for long we could scoop Condon off waivers, but LA will take him if they get first crack. Domingue/Condon is a better tandem than Domingue/Peters. Pens will waive Condon again once Murray is healthy.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My concern with MAF is age. He'll be 32 next season. Bishop would be 30 but way more expensive. Can't really think of any other goalies available because of expansion who would be a good add.

Also if we want to upgrade our goaltending if Smith is out for long we could scoop Condon off waivers, but LA will take him if they get first crack. Domingue/Condon is a better tandem than Domingue/Peters. Pens will waive Condon again once Murray is healthy.

Fwiw, the Penguins can probably trade Condon. Doubt any other team put in a waiver claim.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Isles fan here. If Mike Smith can't go.. any interest in Halak or Greiss packaged with the older Strome? Isles have 3 goalies and one has to go.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Why buy out one over-priced goalie to trade for another?

Yes, no need to buy him out and save only 1/3 of his salary. He can still play pretty good, just use him well and alternate him with Domingue. Less workload should reduce the risk for injuries, it would also be good for Louis.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There is going to be a window where teams can make offers to Vegas. "Don't take this unprotected guy, and we'll give you a 3rd."

Is the reverse true? Can we tell George McPhee, "Take Mike Smith and we'll give you a 2nd"?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The only thing that will be said about Smith by his teammates, now and in the future, is what a great team guy he is.

Smith's biggest weakness is that he's a drama queen on the ice, both in his reactions to goals against and any contact whatsoever, and in his goalie technique. The glass-half-fullers will say that it's his passion coming through, and that's fine and probably true to an extent. He makes spectacular saves and then fails equally spectacularly.

But he's not a cancer. Whatever idiosyncrasies he might have are easily sponged away in the room in a way that Bryz, with his quirky sense of humor and his casual acquaintance with the English language, never could pull off.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Smith has been sent back to Arizona to consult with the team docs.

Looks like it could be Louie and Peters for the rest of the trip.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Anytime Smith plays wellike, it seems, he gets hurt

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
During the Sportsnet broadcast tonight, John Shannon floated Arizona as a possible landing spot for MAF. Hmm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad