Injury Report: Smith "Lower Body Injury" - [UPD: Returned to AZ to consult team med staff]

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I should note that it was moreso part of a Vegas discussion, not something that's going to happen this week.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There is going to be a window where teams can make offers to Vegas. "Don't take this unprotected guy, and we'll give you a 3rd."

Is the reverse true? Can we tell George McPhee, "Take Mike Smith and we'll give you a 2nd"?

Yes, and to be honest, I think this is what will happen (maybe not with Smith).

One of the complicated items is that by adding Vegas, that leaves the league one team short of an equally distributed conference and divisional system. So, at some point within the next 2-5 years, I think another team comes via expansion. Assuming expansion rules stay the same, we will find ourselves having far more players to expose during the second expansion draft.... unless we get a team to take a player in the first draft.

So, I think we will be very active in trying to get a team to take a player by doing just what you are suggesting. Not so much b/c we have a specific player that we want shipped out, but b/c we have several players that we don't want to expose if no one takes one of our players in the first expansion draft.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, and to be honest, I think this is what will happen (maybe not with Smith).

One of the complicated items is that by adding Vegas, that leaves the league one team short of an equally distributed conference and divisional system. So, at some point within the next 2-5 years, I think another team comes via expansion. Assuming expansion rules stay the same, we will find ourselves having far more players to expose during the second expansion draft.... unless we get a team to take a player in the first draft.

So, I think we will be very active in trying to get a team to take a player by doing just what you are suggesting. Not so much b/c we have a specific player that we want shipped out, but b/c we have several players that we don't want to expose if no one takes one of our players in the first expansion draft.

I think Vegas has to take one exposed player from all 30 teams, don't they?

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Depending on how the rest of the year shakes out for our goalies, I would love to add Fleury for next season if the cost to acquire isn't prohibitive. 31, but he's got better each season. Being the team to sign Bishop to his huge next deal would hurt us more than the Smith re-signing, I think, given that we project to be a better team during that time.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Ah, you are correct - I thought that the number was lower, and if you didn't get someone selected in the first draft, you must have a player selected when the next one rolled around.

Ignore my previous post.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Sure, Vegas has to draft 30 players, but 1 hour later they could trade all 30 drafted players back for picks or other players.
It really doesn't make sense to keep goalies when there will be enough good UFA goalies available and Vegas has the money to get good enough goalies. Not Smith of course.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Depending on how the rest of the year shakes out for our goalies, I would love to add Fleury for next season if the cost to acquire isn't prohibitive. 31, but he's got better each season. Being the team to sign Bishop to his huge next deal would hurt us more than the Smith re-signing, I think, given that we project to be a better team during that time.

Please not Fleury. Goalies with high salaries are not needed. Another Domingue type would be great, just alternate both, there's nothing better.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Really? Maybe I'm misinterpreting, if not please provide an example where that has worked? Or do you just have low expectations?

How an expensive starter worked you could see last season in MTL. The regular season doesn't mean much, it's all about the playoffs. Why overusing your expensive starter in the regular season instead of keeping him fresh for the playoffs. Alternating goalies makes the most sense. Goalies who can play heavy workloads are not needed then. Good backups are enough to play 41 games and they are much cheaper than a good starter. Millions can be saved and instead invested on D.

Chayka mentioned he wants to alternate goalies. I'm sure this is the right decision to do. As long as Smith isn't able to play Domingue/Peters should alternate, maybe 60/40 in favour of Domingue depending on the schedule. This has nothing to do with low expectations, a rested Peters should be better than an overused Domingue.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
The Yotes are going to need all the dollars on all the young guys coming due in a few years. I don't want them paying a bunch of money for a goalie that will take away the ability to resign the young guns.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
How an expensive starter worked you could see last season in MTL. The regular season doesn't mean much, it's all about the playoffs. Why overusing your expensive starter in the regular season instead of keeping him fresh for the playoffs. Alternating goalies makes the most sense. Goalies who can play heavy workloads are not needed then. Good backups are enough to play 41 games and they are much cheaper than a good starter. Millions can be saved and instead invested on D.

Chayka mentioned he wants to alternate goalies. I'm sure this is the right decision to do. As long as Smith isn't able to play Domingue/Peters should alternate, maybe 60/40 in favour of Domingue depending on the schedule. This has nothing to do with low expectations, a rested Peters should be better than an overused Domingue.

No answer, so I'll assume low expectations.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
No answer, so I'll assume low expectations.

If you follow nhl goalies you can see answers every week. Fleury started the season with 6 games in 10 nights and he crapped his pants yesterday and the day he played b2b.

Peters till now is .958, Fleury .903.

Spending much money on a goalie doesn't guarantee success if you use him wrong. Give me Domingue/Peters and I save 5M vs Fleury/backup. That's an extra OEL to have.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
If you follow nhl goalies you can see answers every week. Fleury started the season with 6 games in 10 nights and he crapped his pants yesterday and the day he played b2b.

Peters till now is .958, Fleury .903.

Spending much money on a goalie doesn't guarantee success if you use him wrong. Give me Domingue/Peters and I save 5M vs Fleury/backup. That's an extra OEL to have.

That's why you have a backup. That doesn't mean you can perform with two backups. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Dallas tried alternating two #1's last season and it didn't work. Domingue would need to become a capable #1 for your idea to have any merit at all IMO.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's why you have a backup. That doesn't mean you can perform with two backups. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Dallas tried alternating two #1's last season and it didn't work. Dominguez would need to become a capable #1 for your idea to have any merit at all IMO.

As of now there's no reason to believe that Domingue, not Dominguez, wouldn't be able to be a Nr.1 Goalie. He's done it before over quite a period of time and he looked sharp until now despite being left out to dry and having to give up lots of goals.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
As of now there's no reason to believe that Domingue, not Dominguez, wouldn't be able to be a Nr.1 Goalie. He's done it before over quite a period of time and he looked sharp until now despite being left out to dry and having to give up lots of goals.

"Auto correct"
I guess it all depends on your definition of quite a period of time and sharp.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That's why you have a backup. That doesn't mean you can perform with two backups. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Dallas tried alternating two #1's last season and it didn't work. Domingue would need to become a capable #1 for your idea to have any merit at all IMO.

No, DAL goalies were not alternated last season. Niemi started 4 games b2b and there were long stretches when only one played.

It's also not guaranteed that you perform with two starter. Need to find guys who can play good every 5th day and not getting cold fast.

Domingue already played months of starter workloads last season, but he had better stats when more rested which is great if Chayka wants to alternate him. Maybe it was good that Smith got injured, now they shouldn't favor him giving starts, just alternating both, one game each.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
No, DAL goalies were not alternated last season. Niemi started 4 games b2b and there were long stretches when only one played.

It's also not guaranteed that you perform with two starter. Need to find guys who can play good every 5th day and not getting cold fast.

Domingue already played months of starter workloads last season, but he had better stats when more rested which is great if Chayka wants to alternate him. Maybe it was good that Smith got injured, now they shouldn't favor him giving starts, just alternating both, one game each.

Oh my.... so back to the original question: Can you provide an example where your rotation has worked?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->