Smid cross check on Scheifele

Sly Jets Fan

Mar 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere else and if it has, I apologize.

I think the first hit was dirty and deserved more than just two minutes AND then the second one when Scheifele was on his knees to the back of the head was just totally unacceptable.

Has anyone heard if the league is looking into this or the Jets are going to bring it to their attention?

Just quickly on a related note. About twenty years ago, I had no problems watching a star or potential star player get in close to the boards to try and dig a puck loose or what have you. Now a days, I actually cringe because the players still don't have any respect for someone else when they are facing the glass with their back exposed.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Smid is pretty much the dirtiest player in the league* and doesn't deserve to play in the NHL.

[size=-2]*I don't actually know anything about Smid.[/size]

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
It may have looked worse than it was but that second push against his back-head surely is reviewable. That was absolutely unnecessary.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I thought it was outrageous too. I don't understand why a match penalty wasn't issued for either of those hits. But I also feel like I missed something seeing as nobody in the media seemed to give it a second thought. So a player (a rookie no less) gets crosschecked into the boards from behind, and then again, from behind, IN THE HEAD, driving his face into the upper seam of the boards. Does the guy have to be unlucky enough to be injured to make someone think that's a problem?

Don't get me wrong, I love the rough stuff in the game. I was a little let down by the Thorburn fight. Both guys seemed like they were more interested in not getting hit than winning the fight. Smid, on the other hand, attacked a guy with a hockey stick from behind, and smashed his face against a wall. It's a pretty obvious attempt to injure, I'd say. What am I missing? Why are 5 Jets fans the only people who noticed/care?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He had a similar less flagrant hit on 55 in the 1st period as well.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If Scheifele had laid down on the ice motionless for a few minutes, they probably would've gotten 5 and a game and a review. But no harm, no foul is kinda the rule of thumb.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If Scheifele had laid down on the ice motionless for a few minutes, they probably would've gotten 5 and a game and a review. But no harm, no foul is kinda the rule of thumb.

That pretty much was the whole story about that sequence.

On the broadcast, you could hear the ref shouting "HE'S OKAY, HE'S FINE CALM DOWN!" to the people starting to push each other. Scheifele didn't even try selling to be hurt. He at least should have stayed on the ground for a minute.

rthork

May 1, 2012
Winnipeg
It was dirty enough the fan on the first row cringed when he saw Scheifele's face up against the glass... Glad he got up :)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

On the broadcast, you could hear the ref shouting "HE'S OKAY, HE'S FINE CALM DOWN!" to the people starting to push each other. Scheifele didn't even try selling to be hurt. He at least should have stayed on the ground for a minute.

dont need a ryan kesler lol

Sly Jets Fan

Mar 20, 2013
Winnipeg
It was dirty enough the fan on the first row cringed when he saw Scheifele's face up against the glass... Glad he got up :)

Yeah, that's all we needed in the first game of the year was to have him injured when he already had a concussion not long ago.

I still think it should be reviewed and I wish that the Jets would point that out to the league.

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
A better question would be....WHERE WAS THE RETRIBUTION!

It was a tight game so you can't just give up an instigator. I suppose they decided the two points were more important. Plus, Scheifles isn't exactly the strongest guy on his skates.

That being said, I couldn't believe those refs only decided on a two minute penalty. I can think of multiple similar hits where they'll at least do a double minor...or 5 and a game.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

He probably thought that he fell down on his own. :sarcasm:

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg

That's the thing though. High character guys want to play the game, not join the Olympic diving team. Though the hit was completely disgusting. Scheif didn't even leave the ice, he's a tenacious dude!

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
I was rolling my eyes reading a couple people saying on the main board for the second hit that Smid had lost his balance and I guess just accidentally had his stick out at Schief's neck. Ridiculous.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It was a tight game so you can't just give up an instigator. I suppose they decided the two points were more important. Plus, Scheifles isn't exactly the strongest guy on his skates.

That being said, I couldn't believe those refs only decided on a two minute penalty. I can think of multiple similar hits where they'll at least do a double minor...or 5 and a game.

I agree.

The two point were more important.

Retribution can be meted out at a later date.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought it deserved more and I still think the league should look at it further, if they aren't already. I'm proud of Scheifele for getting right back up and showing that we're not a team of wimps.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
That's the thing though. High character guys want to play the game, not join the Olympic diving team. Though the hit was completely disgusting. Scheif didn't even leave the ice, he's a tenacious dude!

I'm with you on that question. But that play deserved a little more than just 2 minutes. Maybe "a minute" was a bit much :laugh: There will always be a difference if you lay on the ground, holding yourself and making a scene or just lay there for a couple of seconds and get up pretty slow. The effect just is a different.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
High character guys want to play the game, not join the Olympic diving team. Though the hit was completely disgusting. Scheif didn't even leave the ice, he's a tenacious dude!

This.

I'm so glad he didn't get up and start swinging his stick at Smids skates, or alternatively fake an injury like Ribiero would have.

Can't stand players like that.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

only if it was just to piss off any London or Belleville fans that were watching

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Is Sheifele wounded for some games ?!

Nothing was mentioned, so I assume he's fine. He played the very next shift, and the rest of the game.

Though I think he should write a scathing blog post about the hit. Or perhaps you only write those about hits that don't happen. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad