Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Just a heads up for those (like myself) who didn't know there was a pretty solid Bellator event on Spike tonight. Rampage and Mitrione are both fighting (not each other).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Impressive KO win for Chandler.

Rampage beats Ishii in a very forgettable fight where nothing happened. I actually thought he lost but it could have gone either way. It was terrible though.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
As a West coaster with cable, I had to wait 3 hours later. I enjoyed the lightweight title bout. What a KO. Why wasn't it the main event?

Because Rampage has the name value. Bellator's been doing that a lot, promoting the big name. Ken Shamrock, Kimbo Slice, Royce Gracie,etc, etc have all been promoted over their young and upcoming talent - including championship fights. A lot of Bellator has been reminding me of Strikeforce with a big three in a division or so.

I know a lot of people, MMA viewers really enjoyed the kickboxing aspect of this event though. That's a positive sign. Really want to see a legit number two company which would give fighters a reason to test the market and get paid. Scott Coker did a great job finding talent in SF, landing some legit up and coming talents in Luke Rockhold, Daniel Cormier, OSP, and Lorenz Larkin. Signed veterans in Fabrico Werdum, Bigfoot Silva, Nick Diaz, along with bringing in some great guys under the radar not fighting in North America like Jacare Souza.

Been slightly disappointed with Coker Bellator though.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I like Rampage but man that was rough. And I'm not accusing Bellator of anything, but you get the feeling a fair amount of the time that the guy Bellator wants to win ends up getting the nod in close fights. Not a chance in hell Rampage won the first round in that fight. Also, Mitrione was out and they didn't stop his fight, but as soon as he hurt his opponent the ref immediately jumped in. Those two fights nearly ended in a nightmare scenario for Bellator.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I like Rampage but man that was rough. And I'm not accusing Bellator of anything, but you get the feeling a fair amount of the time that the guy Bellator wants to win ends up getting the nod in close fights. Not a chance in hell Rampage won the first round in that fight. Also, Mitrione was out and they didn't stop his fight, but as soon as he hurt his opponent the ref immediately jumped in. Those two fights nearly ended in a nightmare scenario for Bellator.

The promoters have no say in how the fights are officiated, that is all on the respective commission and referee. Fights are stopped at the discretion of that particular ref, controversial or not. Promoters are as much in control as the crowd watching.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Ol' Krazy Horse still at it, 7 second KO, than beefin with Wand backstage :laugh: what year is this

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Ol' Krazy Horse still at it, 7 second KO, than beefin with Wand backstage :laugh: what year is this
For a guy who is supposed to be a professional kick boxer, that Minoru Kimura guy was throwing a really stupid kick and he absolutely crumpled after one punch. If I didn't know better, I'd accuse Rizin of being just as shady as Pri ... oh, wait.

Regardless of how fugazi that looked, Krazy Horse is one of my favorite fighters ever. The interview he did with Bas Rutten before / after his loss to Gomi in Bushido is a thing of legend. He throws heat and he talks heat and he's not long for this world.

That Rizin open weight tournament looks random as hell, Bennett needs to get into that and knock Wanderlei out for real.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
decent small venue event happening in Medicine Hat AB October 28th. Fight Night 2.

Main Card:
135lbs- Jesse Arnett (11-4) vs. Johnny Bedford (20-12-1)
***Bantamweight Title Fight (Vacant)

170lbs- Joe Riggs (41-17) vs. Cody McKenzie (15-9)
205lbs- Todd Stoute (8-3) vs. Victor Valimaki (18-10)
170lbs- Roger Bowling (11-5-1) vs. Vik Grujic (6-5)
185lbs- Matt Baker (13-9-1) vs. Dustin Long (7-3)
135lbs- Austin Ryan (6-0) vs. Joe Murphy (8-4)
145lbs- Kyle Nelson (8-1) vs. Jonathan Brookins (15-8)
170lbs- Matt MacGrath (18-8) vs. Ryan Quinn (12-6-1)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
decent small venue event happening in Medicine Hat AB October 28th. Fight Night 2.

Main Card:

Damn that is pretty decent. Might have to go for a drive on the 28th!

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton

Main Card:

I think I know the site you pulled this from. I see one of those fights I expect to fall through.

Last edited:

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
in true bellator fashion, Marloes Coenen is fighting for Bellator's inaugural Women's Featherweight belt after getting finished by Alexis Dufresne. The latter, fighting on the same card, just got finished by a 5-5 fighter. :laugh:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
in true bellator fashion, Marloes Coenen is fighting for Bellator's inaugural Women's Featherweight belt after getting finished by Alexis Dufresne. The latter, fighting on the same card, just got finished by a 5-5 fighter. :laugh:

"Bellator fashion"... didn't Rousey get a title shot coming off a loss? And Holm? And Miesha Tate? Nick Diaz? Chael Sonnen? Frankie Edgar? BJ Penn? Shogun Rua? Dan Henderson? Randy Couture?

Enough with the organization biases, gang.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
"Bellator fashion"... didn't Rousey get a title shot coming off a loss? And Holm? And Miesha Tate? Nick Diaz? Chael Sonnen? Frankie Edgar? BJ Penn? Shogun Rua? Dan Henderson? Randy Couture?

Enough with the organization biases, gang.

Only one I'm not totally against up top is Shogun Rua.. I guess Dan Henderson too considering everything.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

In true UFC fashion, Holy Holm fought for the UFC's inaugural Women's Featherweight belt after losing two in a row, one of whom to a fighter who was beaten into retirement in her first match after Holm.

FWIW, she went up, and lost in TKO-4 against Vancouver's Julia Budd, whose only losses have come to Rousey and Amanda Nunes back in Strikeforce.

Only one I'm not totally against up top is Shogun Rua.. I guess Dan Henderson too considering everything.

Shogun's was justified. Judges screwed him in the first Machida fight.

Lastly, why do we still have this thread?

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Minakov is fighting Bigfoot in about 12 hours for those interested. It's on Fight Pass. They weighed in at 269 and 287. Apparently Bigfoot was granted a TRT exemption.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Is Bellator Chuck vs Tito going to be a real thing?

I'd definitely watch this. I don't have any interest seeing Chuck try to fight top fighters, but I'm all for a Tito fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad