Post-Game Talk: small penised poodle in a park of Dobermans

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Does anyone recall Joe specifically discussing last night on the broadcast how the Bruins veteran players are eminently coachable? It was a weird thing to say, not something you usually here emphasized about a solid veteran team.

Was Joe inadvertently airing some dirty laundry? Between that comment, and GG’s comment, are things finally coming to a head with Bread?

The guys just does whatever he wants. It rarely works. He’s fond chemistry with what, two players in this organization, both of which aren’t here anymore (Strome and Fast)?

We need to find a way out of this contract. I’d prefer to reserve judgment on GG after seeing the team perform with guys that are bought in and willing to play his style.

Maybe, but I don't think so. I think its more of a nod to how selfless some of the older vets on that team are rather than a shot at the ones here.

OTOH, I don't even think he had great chemistry with Strome and Fast. He was such a wagon that season that he could have played with me and looked great.

Not only has he become borderline uncoachable, he's almost impossible to play with. The chemistry with Strome was a myth, those 2 went as Panarin went.

Deleted member 23124

Is Trouba not being wildly overpaid to help remedy that situation? You dont become hard to play against with 4th line team mascot's like Reaves. It needs to come from the top. The Rangers have 4 guys making 8+ AAV and 2 of them give a consistent effort every shift. Talk about the coach, the GM, the owner, the kids, etc. but it boils down to the Rangers massively overpaying 2 guys who are barely noticeable on a nightly basis.
I've never disagreed with that.

Reactions: McRanger92

Deleted member 23124

Does anyone recall Joe specifically discussing last night on the broadcast how the Bruins veteran players are eminently coachable? It was a weird thing to say, not something you usually here emphasized about a solid veteran team.

Was Joe inadvertently airing some dirty laundry? Between that comment, and GG’s comment, are things finally coming to a head with Bread?

The guys just does whatever he wants. It rarely works. He’s fond chemistry with what, two players in this organization, both of which aren’t here anymore (Strome and Fast)?

We need to find a way out of this contract. I’d prefer to reserve judgment on GG after seeing the team perform with guys that are bought in and willing to play his style.
I'm not sure who he had been talking (may have been the Bruins coach), but the person told Joe that the veteran players WANTED to be coached and wanted to learn new things.

Reactions: Synergy27

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
The ECF last year was a Trojan horse for this franchise, now the question is, will they double down that this team is a legit contender or will they play the long game. We’re in this weird in between and it’s not working out.
Agree 100%. The best thing this franchise can do is keep both 1st round picks and not waste the picks on "swings for the fences". They need to pick the consensus best players available with those picks.

Reactions: egelband

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Agree 100%. The best thing this franchise can do is keep both 1st round picks and not waste the picks on "swings for the fences". They need to pick the consensus best players available with those picks.
And not develop them...and round and round we go

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This coach staffing has always had a weird requirement that if you're on PP1 you have to be in the top six at 5v5 and vice versa. We saw it with Laf automatically getting gifted PP1 time when Kreider was out and he filled in Kreider's 5v5 spot. It's the same reason Gallant can't bring himself to do anything about Trocheck, whether demote him at 5v5 or on the PP. He's the "2nd line" center so in this coaching staff's mind he also needs to be on PP1. They have never had any inkling that certain players might be better in certain situations than others, they just kind of mash everything together into one total game state situation.

Look at how Tampa uses Corey Perry where he gets PP time but almost no ES time. Same with NJ who uses Tatar a lot on the PP but doesn't really overload him with even strength time. Our coaching staff just kind of picks their favorite guys and throws them over the boards all the time regardless of game state. The notion of maybe cycling in a Kravtsov or a Chytil in place of Trocheck on the PP is completely foreign to them because they've labeled Trocheck as one of their "top guys."
This is why I enjoyed Kreider on the third line. Less ES but plenty of PP time. I thought he was more effective that way and the younger legs got some more ES shifts, at least.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You know in the movies, how the biker gang does circles around the people they wanna scare, a few times? That's the Rangers. Then when they finally make a move, it's a nothingburger muffin shot. Per Vally in the post-game, when you get good chances, especially early, and shoot muffins, you not only don't score, you get the goalie into the game. No one breaks the circle formation to attempt to get inside.
Also cinematically the rangers are a badass gang that attacks one at a time so the goalie is never overwhelmed.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Forgive me if "keep our picks" is as appealing as a vasectomy.

Granted, I wouldn't trade them because I think we're gonna win the Cup.

I would trade them because they tend to become... *broadly gestures at our young forwards*

Really stoked for Othmann to split time between the 3rd and 4th lines and put up 19 points next year.

Reactions: Vaheh and TheDirtyH

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Forgive me if "keep our picks" is as appealing as a vasectomy.

Granted, I wouldn't trade them because I think we're gonna win the Cup.

I would trade them because they tend to become... *broadly gestures at our young forwards*

Really stoked for Othmann to split time between the 3rd and 4th lines and put up 19 points next year.
this time it's different...

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm old enough to remember a time where we went from Leetch to McDonagh without a defenseman putting up 45 points (and McDonagh didn't exactly have 80). We shook that.

It's not just Fox. Our D development has been at least above average even if you're being stingy.

We need to examine how we turned that around and do the same at forward.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
100%. My post was already bordering on TL;DR with just the summary version I included, but you basically fleshed out the rest of my thoughts on offensive structure perfectly. Great post.
hah i run into that issue a lot when i start unloading observations about the teams play or individual assessments so i can def relate. but the sentiments are appreciated and very much reciprocated - nailed every single thing you mentioned and love hearing thoughts that get into nuances of the game that are critical to a teams foundation but things many pay close attention to or pick up on.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Is anyone going to the open practice tomorrow? My wife is finally letting my daughter come to MSG with me, so I'm pretty excited!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

CD223269-4721-4987-8B8C-44C6999C4765.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get the issues with Panarin taking the season as a whole, but I thought he was all over the Bruins last night. Odd game for some of these comments to be coming out imo.

To me, it shows he can still do it. It shows that with the veterans on this team (and this is multiple coaches so idk what the solution is), there's a lot of yelling about needing to do this and that but the real, actual ice time repercussions are never there.

Again, not so much last night, just my opinion, but there's been quite a few times this year where Panarin could have done with skating on the 4th line to remind him it's not there.

Instead, it's Kravtsov for no real reason except we're losing and we have to be pretend tough on somebody.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm old enough to remember a time where we went from Leetch to McDonagh without a defenseman putting up 45 points (and McDonagh didn't exactly have 80). We shook that.

It's not just Fox. Our D development has been at least above average even if you're being stingy.

We need to examine how we turned that around and do the same at forward.
I think a lot of the Rangerisms that are ingrained within the organization which are damaging when developing forwards are probably helpful or at least less damaging when it comes to d-men. I.E. strict emphasis on not making mistakes, not taking risks, not being overly creative, staying within the system, being physical etc.

Those mantras work when applied to d-men but when applied to forwards you end up turning formerly dynamic players like Lafreniere, Kakko and Kravtsov into zombie husks who are terrified to do the exact things that made them successful in the first place.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yep.
Also it's like last years playoff never occured with the really fun to watch play of Lafreniere, Kakko and Chytil. How could they go from having some really really bright spots against tough opponents/moments to this? I know Chytil and Kakko have played ok but I watch a play that Dylan Cozens made in overtime last night and say "I haven't seen that kind of play once from any of these 4 kids (kravy included) this year.
Yep, right back at you. Chytil and Kaapo have had enough moments to give us hope. Kravtsov and Laf to a greater extent haven't given us nearly a glimmer of hope. For crying out loud, saw Hughes shoot "off the pads" on purpose for the game tying goal by Hirshier.
Okay, obviously he is "special" and a cut above KK, but wasn't Laf supposed to be "special"?

Reactions: bl02

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I get the issues with Panarin taking the season as a whole, but I thought he was all over the Bruins last night. Odd game for some of these comments to be coming out imo.

To me, it shows he can still do it. It shows that with the veterans on this team (and this is multiple coaches so idk what the solution is), there's a lot of yelling about needing to do this and that but the real, actual ice time repercussions are never there.

Again, not so much last night, just my opinion, but there's been quite a few times this year where Panarin could have done with skating on the 4th line to remind him it's not there.

Instead, it's Kravtsov for no real reason except we're losing and we have to be pretend tough on somebody.
The Rangers (mine and ours) have to set aside the bright lights and glamour of it all, and really send messages, very strong messages to the VETS. OUR TV PEOPLE all concurred about how the Bruins VETS score game in and game out. If we get that, things wouldnt be so negative round here.
It will NEVER happen, but I wish that they would TOSS the PO's this year to the curb, and play "our future" the way they need to be played. Not giving a damn, about winning or losing. Who knows, they might surprise everyone and leave the vets pouting.
And this would be the only way the Rangers would have a punchers chance at winning the cup NEXT YEAR.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

There def is a huge disconnect between our coach and Panarin. THIS is Drury's problem. 2 choices, attempt to rid Panarin in which it will prob cost us a 1st to rid his huge contract OR get another coach to FIT Panarin's game.

What will be the more obvious answer. GG gone, but that doesn't mean it's the RIGHT answer.

Love Bread, but I am certainly not liking him since PO's. He, more than anyone else cost us a chance for the cup last year and regardless that he's on pace for 90, that doesnt really matter if the rest of the team feel he's not giving it his all, or continues to cough up the puck like he does. He needs more Baking Powder so that he can rise to the top, like he used to.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm not sure who he had been talking (may have been the Bruins coach), but the person told Joe that the veteran players WANTED to be coached and wanted to learn new things.
And thats where success lies within. If the leaders buy in and have that grand attitude, the rest will follow. This is why I dont like defenseman as Captain. Even if Trouba buys in, how does that translate to the ice with the offensive players? #leftwondering

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I honestly don't believe one piece is going to do it. They are deficient in so many areas......and their fundamentals are horrendous.
The fundamentals part is alarming. Plays that hockey players should know and execute since they were playing mite hockey is seemingly impossible with this team. They can’t be that stupid, right? ….. RIGHT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad