In Memoriam Smack66

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have never shared this story

4 or 5 years ago we had a major issue getting a TV truck across the border from Vermont and I ranted in a pregame thread.

Steve sent me a PM asking me to call him and I did. He asked what POE location we were at and I said Stanstead/Derby Line and said he would inquire. Mind you I only knew him as a poster here.

TEN MINUTES later the agent who had been downright nasty stamped all of the paperwork and grumbled NESN and the Bruins obviously has influence with our government.

View attachment 551703

I called Steve back and told him we were in and he said 'I know' and all he said was he worked for Canadian Border Services. What he didn't tell me was he was one of big bosses. All he said was the agent didn't like the Bruins markings on the truck.

To this day we have never had a major issue crossing the border since.

RIP Steve.
Wow, go Steve!

Sounds like he was a great guy.

Reactions: Alicat and Ladyfan

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
@Bruinaura - Posters come and go like ships in the night.

We have always been an 'anonymous' board so when somebody vanishes you wonder.

When I became ill 2 days before Christmas I was able to text Wally that I might be in trouble and subsequently found out that if I had not called 911 when I did I would be cheering the team from the clouds.

I have been dealing with Bruins internet boards since Compuserve, GEine, Delphi, and a robust Bruins email listserve.

I got into wars with the most passionate Bruins fan I have ever encountered online - Ian from New Brunswick.

View attachment 551726

I am certain Ian lurks here and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that no Bruins fan I have ever met hates Montreal more than him.
I was in an online Bruins email group years ago and that is where I first came in contact with Ian and Kirk Luedeke. Ian is a bona fide Bruins and hockey expert, bleeds black and gold, and certainly hates the team who, if I recall correctly, he referred to as the Scabs. If he is lurking, a big hello and I hope he and his family are well.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Rest in Peace Steve (Smack66). My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends at this time.

Coincidentally I lived in Steve's hometown of Cornwall, Ontario from September 2001 until May 2003 who knows we may have been neighbors at one time.

RIP kind sir.

Reactions: Ladyfan

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

4 or 5 years ago we had a major issue getting a TV truck across the border from Vermont and I ranted in a pregame thread.

Steve sent me a PM asking me to call him and I did. He asked what POE location we were at and I said Stanstead/Derby Line and said he would inquire. Mind you I only knew him as a poster here.

TEN MINUTES later the agent who had been downright nasty stamped all of the paperwork and grumbled NESN and the Bruins obviously has influence with our government.

View attachment 551703

I called Steve back and told him we were in and he said 'I know' and all he said was he worked for Canadian Border Services. What he didn't tell me was he was one of big bosses. All he said was the agent didn't like the Bruins markings on the truck.

RIP Steve.
We are all connected.

Rest in peace Steve.

Thanks for letting us know, Susan.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
And thank you for making us aware, Susan.
This is so sad. Peace to his family.
We have lost a few and put up a thread after they leave us if we know. We didn't know the last couple were leaving.

I figured since Steve knew he didn't have much time left it might give him some comfort to see messages from the HF family that he had been posting with for years. That is why I put up the other thread.

He did see at least some of your messages.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

View attachment 551703

RIP Steve.
Thanks Fenway. Nice story !

Reactions: Gordoff

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Never spoke with Smack66 much, if at all I don't think, but 57 is too young to die. My condolences to his family and may he rest in peace. 🙁

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Darn cancer
Stop this nonsense, to our most gifted Doctors and scientists cure this please

RIP Steve may the lord give your family strength

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
@Bruinaura - Posters come and go like ships in the night.

We have always been an 'anonymous' board so when somebody vanishes you wonder.

When I became ill 2 days before Christmas I was able to text Wally that I might be in trouble and subsequently found out that if I had not called 911 when I did I would be cheering the team from the clouds.

I have been dealing with Bruins internet boards since Compuserve, GEine, Delphi, and a robust Bruins email listserve.

I got into wars with the most passionate Bruins fan I have ever encountered online - Ian from New Brunswick.

View attachment 551726

I am certain Ian lurks here and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that no Bruins fan I have ever met hates Montreal more than him.
It is always sad to hear of ones passing. May Steve and his family have peace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad