SM-liiga's new name will be "Liiga"

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
Don't believe everything you read on Twitter, bud.

Subway should be a great partner for Liiga.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I agree, Subway's a good partner for Lüga. Their public image is decent and they've been involved in hockey before (and not just in Finland). I hope they don't end up buying the name, because Subway-liiga sounds awful, but otherwise this is a good thing.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Subway-Liiga...:tvhappy:

A-Inside-CAF-train1.jpg

Latex*

Fast food for league name? Oh god.. I thought SM-Liiga tried to improve their image to compete with KHL-narrit.

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
But still, fast food.. seriously?

Many international sports organizations(IOC, UEFA, FIFA, The FA etc.), leagues(NHL, NFL, NBA, CHL etc.), clubs(Bruins, Canadiens, Patriots etc.) and athletes(Michael Phelps etc.) have fast-food chains as major partners.

Like I said, Subway should be a great partner for Liiga; they are massive, absolutely everywhere these days and have a great, fresh brand image.

I mean, the alcohol industry/breweries are by far the biggest sponsors of Finnish hockey at the moment, and you have a problem with Liiga teaming up with a fast-food chain...?

Last edited:

Latex*

Many international sports organizations(IOC, UEFA, FIFA, The FA etc.), leagues(NHL, NFL, NBA, CHL etc.), clubs(Bruins, Canadiens, Patriots etc.) and athletes(Michael Phelps etc.) have fast-food chains as major partners.

Like I said, Subway should be a great partner for Liiga; they are massive, absolutely everywhere these days and have a great, fresh brand image.

I mean, the alcohol industry/breweries are by far the biggest sponsors of Finnish hockey at the moment, and you have a problem with Liiga teaming up with a fast-food chain...?

Let's just say that I find obesity/ fast food to be one of the biggest problems our society is facing health wise right now, and even more so in the future. It's just that these days so many people are fat that it's not yet okay to rip on them like it is socially accepted to rip on smokers and people who do drugs or drink alcohol.

Fast food industry is the tobacco industry of our time. Hence my opinion about the league name.

But this is going a bit off topic now.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Kölli nyt turpa kiinni... He talks over tiki all the time. They have tikkanen in the studio and that guy talks all the time. :rant:

Last edited:

Latex*

Kölli nyt turpa kiinni... He talks over tiki all the time. They have tikkanen in the studio and that guy talks all the time. :rant:

I would do that too. I mean Tiki isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

bookjones

Aug 15, 2010
Not yet possible to subscribe.

This is going to be where to subscribe: http://www.nelonenpro.fi/smliiga/ruutu.html

19,90/month will give you all games on HD and also, NBA, movies and stuff like that. Also possible to subscribe one month at a time, but then its 29,90€/month.

Not sure if this will work outside of Finland. They will have the SM-Liiga rights but if NBA ect is included, I will place my bet on the "no" answer. But let's hope for the best!

There are also going to be better streams than we are used to because of HD, but you never are sure what game is going to be streamed or are they at all.

Now that this Ruutu subscriber service has launched in September can any Finnish poster tell me if the FAQ or anything on the website says it's exclusively for Finnish and/or European ISP subscribers? Google's translation can only go so far in what I imagine I already read as a mangling of the Finnish language, lol. Also, if anyone has subscribed or did the trial can you tell me if the SM-liiga games are archived for on-demand viewing or is it watch in real-time only?

No matter what, this is a HUGE, almost online "Center Ice" type development IMO. Even if it is Finland-exclusive it's still only a matter of using a proxy ISP or ISP cloaker I'd imagine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Now that this Ruutu subscriber service has launched in September can any Finnish poster tell me if the FAQ or anything on the website says it's exclusively for Finnish and/or European ISP subscribers? Google's translation can only go so far in what I imagine I already read as a mangling of the Finnish language, lol. Also, if anyone has subscribed or did the trial can you tell me if the SM-liiga games are archived for on-demand viewing or is it watch in real-time only?

No matter what, this is a HUGE, almost online "Center Ice" type development IMO. Even if it is Finland-exclusive it's still only a matter of using a proxy ISP or ISP cloaker I'd imagine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Their quality still isn't up there, but they sent me an email and told that they are up to task, so I still have faith in Nelonen. They have money to make it better. Don't get me wrong, quality aint horrible, picture is fine, it should be some kind of HD, but I think its poor HD at best. It was better than SD signal thought, but not as good as cable tv HD are, I still dont think its totally HD.

And yes you have all games Live + on demand.

Just sent them email if SM-Liiga works outside Finland. If not, proxy will work but you need good one..

bookjones

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks so much QnebO! Much appreciate you answering my questions and also sending Ruutu an email.

The watch on-demand function is the key decider in these types of services IMO so it's great to know it's available.

I will keep checking this thread to see if they ever give you a response about if the service officially works outside of Finland.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks so much QnebO! Much appreciate you answering my questions and also sending Ruutu an email.

The watch on-demand function is the key decider in these types of services IMO so it's great to know it's available.

I will keep checking this thread to see if they ever give you a response about if the service officially works outside of Finland.

Finally got an answer. SM-Liiga is not geoblocked according to them, but everything else included in the price is, though.

In finnish:
"Liigaotteluita ei ole geoblokattu, joten niiden katselu on mahdollista
myös ulkomaisista ip-osoitteista. Huomaathan, että kyseessä on
live-lähetys, joten yhteysnopeudella ja reitityksellä on merkitystä
loppukäyttäjän katselukokemuksessa. Muut Ruudun maksulliset sisällöt ovat
geoblokattuja ja eivät siten ole katsottavissa ulkomailla."

Translation:
Liiga games are not geoblocked, so viewing them is possible from foreign IP-adresses. Please note, that we're talking about live-service, so the speed of the connection and routing does matter in viewing experience.
Other services are geoblocked.

So yeah, you should be able to watch them! But no NBA, MotoGP or TV, thought. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad