Sleepers for the 2020 NHL Draft

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
anyone seen jacob dion a lot? don't see his name pop up many places but he seems to fit
here. nice little offensive defenseman.

I like his game a lot. However, he needs to improve his skating big time imo. He also has difficulty against larger forwards in his own zone.

Reactions: neelynugs

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
well, now i want stevie to draft that guy with an early third.
Yeah I was actually thinking that he looks a bit "Datsyukian", and the typical Yzerman find. But don't worry, Sakic is going to swoop in and grab him in the 6th round and make every other GM look silly in 3 years. ;)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Colby Ambrosio, Trevor Kuntar and I think one of the deepest sleepers in the draft is Matteo Costantini. Kid is very talented but he possesses high hockey IQ, work ethic and internal drive combined with being an extremely unselfish and good kid. Wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into one of those 6th or 7th round diamonds in the rough

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Definitely Jack Finley. A 6'5" right handed shot centerman who is great on the dot, plays a two way game and is nearly a PPG player, while not being on the PP unit most of time and he's one of the younger players in the draft. I have no idea how so many analysts have him outside their top 100. Pronman didn't even have him in his 122 he just did. It's baffling to me. He's a top 50 guy easily and could sneak into the 1st round.

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
I wonder if Swedish defender Samuel Johannesson could be a hidden gem in the later rounds. After going undrafted last year he exploded in the following season. At the SuperElit he scored 18 points (eight goals) in 19 games for a low scoring Rögle team. He had a higher PPG than every other player on his team. Even more impressive he played 44 games for Rögle at the SHL level, scoring a respectable 11 points. I am aware that I am mainly stat watching, but he could be a nice gamble.

Reactions: neelynugs

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Definitely Jack Finley. A 6'5" right handed shot centerman who is great on the dot, plays a two way game and is nearly a PPG player, while not being on the PP unit most of time and he's one of the younger players in the draft. I have no idea how so many analysts have him outside their top 100. Pronman didn't even have him in his 122 he just did. It's baffling to me. He's a top 50 guy easily and could sneak into the 1st round.
I said it earlier in this thread. He's a guy that most on here won't have high on their list but is thought of highly by NHL teams. Big, smart, responsible, young(Sept birthday), good progression from last year to this year(played really well in last years playoffs) and NHL bloodlines.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I am curious why there aren't any mentions of Carter Savoie in this thread, he had a blistering offensive season in the AJHL but seems to be falling, if anything, perhaps even a 3rd round pick, does anyone have any insights as to why and generally about his game?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wonder if Swedish defender Samuel Johannesson could be a hidden gem in the later rounds. After going undrafted last year he exploded in the following season. At the SuperElit he scored 18 points (eight goals) in 19 games for a low scoring Rögle team. He had a higher PPG than every other player on his team. Even more impressive he played 44 games for Rögle at the SHL level, scoring a respectable 11 points. I am aware that I am mainly stat watching, but he could be a nice gamble.

He seems to be right there at the group os Söderström (1st rounder), Lundmark (2nd rounder), Broberg (1st rounder), Johansson (3rd rounder) on their DY +1 year.

Maybe some low-round take at 6th-7th.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bourque, I think he will be one of best players to come out of the draft. He was really starting to play well before he got injured. Has good speed and hockey sense.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He seems to be right there at the group os Söderström (1st rounder), Lundmark (2nd rounder), Broberg (1st rounder), Johansson (3rd rounder) on their DY +1 year.

Maybe some low-round take at 6th-7th.

I often see him in the middle rounds, and I do not think that is ridiculous for him.

However, he is personally not the type of guy I would jump through hoops to get. Seems like a typical 4/5 puck mover who needs work defensively and has some upside offensively. You can find a lot of guys like that every year. That is enticing enough for me to put him in the top 5 rounds, but I doubt he would ever be one of my top choices unless he fell.

One nice thing is that he is a late 00' and, since that only makes him a D+1, a team will still get 4 years of control with him. So you get to keep him until he's almost 24 years old. If he was born 4 months earlier, he would be a D+2 and a team would only get to keep him for 2 years, or until he is 22.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Depending on what rankings we're going by and what qualifies as a sleeper, my 4 players:

Donovan Sebrango -- Prototypical modern day defenseman who can play in all situations and was a top defenseman on a solid Kitchener Rangers team

JL Foudy -- Statline vs. Eye-Test tell 2 different stories with this kid. If we're going by the eye-test vs. actual rankings, kid could be a top-10 player of this draft

Jack Finley -- 6'5" with a two-way game. High-floor and bigger ceiling if he can get his offensive game to be on par with his defensive game

Brandon Coe -- 6'3" power forward with finesse. Overshadowed playing on a terrible North Bay team that hasn't had a legit offensive threat in 3 years.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Colby Ambrosio, Trevor Kuntar and I think one of the deepest sleepers in the draft is Matteo Costantini. Kid is very talented but he possesses high hockey IQ, work ethic and internal drive combined with being an extremely unselfish and good kid. Wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into one of those 6th or 7th round diamonds in the rough

I have read that Colby Ambrosio has some attitude issues. Has a temper and is a little bit selfish, both on and off the ice. I think that is why his stock is hurting a little bit. Skill-wise, he will probably be a steal, but you are going to be taking a risk with an attitude like that.

I like Kuntar and Costantini. It's really tough to determine where Costantini will go though. I think he could be good enough to go around where I think Kuntar could go (late 4th or 5th round) based on his production and what I've seen in highlights, but he did not play in the WJAC U19 tournament (unlike other top OJHL guys) and he did play with some pretty productive players. It would be nice to know where he is going to play in the NCAA.

Toronto Maple Beast

Jun 30, 2020
3 sleepers:

Zayde Wisdom, OHL - Scored a point a game on a bad Kingston team, 5'10 but strong 200+ lbs

Pavel Novak, WHL - Great offensive ability, big numbers in Czech U19 and WHL, pro experience at age 17

Ryan Alexander, OJHL - committed to ASU, best OJHL draft prospect imo

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I have read that Colby Ambrosio has some attitude issues. Has a temper and is a little bit selfish, both on and off the ice. I think that is why his stock is hurting a little bit. Skill-wise, he will probably be a steal, but you are going to be taking a risk with an attitude like that.

I like Kuntar and Costantini. It's really tough to determine where Costantini will go though. I think he could be good enough to go around where I think Kuntar could go (late 4th or 5th round) based on his production and what I've seen in highlights, but he did not play in the WJAC U19 tournament (unlike other top OJHL guys) and he did play with some pretty productive players. It would be nice to know where he is going to play in the NCAA.
Knowing ambrosio, i never once thought he had anything close to an attitude issue, kid is respectful and works his balls off....atleast in my experience with him.

Reactions: flamebird

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Mike Benning is the most obvious candidate for me. He is small but has everything you want in a new age D man. Reads the play well, high IQ, escapability in tight, great vision, strong skater in all directions, moves the puck very well. The biggest knock is his size, and at 5'10 he isn't physically formidable - but his brother is 6'1, as is his dad. Hockey family, etc...

Pio's are really excited about about him as a freshman for them and are hyping him
Should be him and that Red Wings 2nd rounder tuosomito or something like that fighting for 1st unit PP time

They got 3 players from the crusaders coming in as freshman

Him and Carter Savoie have something.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I am curious why there aren't any mentions of Carter Savoie in this thread, he had a blistering offensive season in the AJHL but seems to be falling, if anything, perhaps even a 3rd round pick, does anyone have any insights as to why and generally about his game?

3 people have mentioned he got "bored"
50 goals in 50 games.......Nate Dewell was talking about thats what he saw in the latter portion of the year

Already at training at Coors center. Should he Flyers Bobby Brink, and Savoie with TB prospect Cole Guttman centering is what early talk is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad