Sleepers for the 2020 NHL Draft

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I did not see a thread for this yet and I'm always interested in the collective board's view on sleeper's for June's draft. Don't bother posting if someone is likely to go in the top 45 picks, you guys know who is flying under the radar, let's hear from you:

Thanks

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
David Aebischer, Gatineau Olympics.
He's a RD and I really like him, he was good at the WJC and has been playing a big role against top line for the Pics this year. I like him a lot.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Benning and Savoie from the AJHL are two absolute players who could go first round, but could also drop hard and fast if teams just don’t have them on their lists due to underexposure and quality of competition.

Savoie is a goal per game, Benning has awesome numbers too, and both are brilliant skaters.

Reactions: d rake

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
My top 3 would be:
Ronan Seeley—a d-man who plays a solid game and is showing some offense this season. Scouts who watch him come away impressed.

Brett Berard—starting to show up on some lists around 50, so maybe not a deep sleeper. This year's Nick Robertson: smaller player who is all-out every shift; September birthday could mean he makes big improvements next season.

Jack Finley—another September birthday. He is almost a year younger than 1st rounders like Quinn and Zary, yet his production is close to Zary's from last season. He is big and good on the dot. Most projections have him around 100.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Not sure if they qualify as sleepers, but I think Roby Jarventie and Carter Savoie are players that could be absolute value picks outside if the first round.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Jack Finley—another September birthday. He is almost a year younger than 1st rounders like Quinn and Zary, yet his production is close to Zary's from last season. He is big and good on the dot. Most projections have him around 100.

A 6'5" right shot center who's almost a point per game in the dub is usually ranked in the top 15. One to watch.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
A 6'5" right shot center who's almost a point per game in the dub is usually ranked in the top 15. One to watch.
I think he's someone we won't see high on a lot of the lists that get posted but is highly thought of by scouts. McKenzie had him as an honourable mention and Button had him at 62. I also know an NHL team had him ranked just outside the first round when they had their last round of scout meetings.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Mike Benning is the most obvious candidate for me. He is small but has everything you want in a new age D man. Reads the play well, high IQ, escapability in tight, great vision, strong skater in all directions, moves the puck very well. The biggest knock is his size, and at 5'10 he isn't physically formidable - but his brother is 6'1, as is his dad. Hockey family, etc...

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you don't mind taking the extra time, could you tell us a little bit about each of them? I'd love to know a bit more....

Beryozkin-Late birthday with minimal international games for Russia. Good size+shooting+playmaking combo.

Skotnikov-Another late birthday. This guy does have more international games, but is under the radar due to Askarov. Very athletic goalie, but not completely all over the place. I also like when goalies have a history of good performance. Skotnikov has put up two good MHL seasons now.

Thompson-High upside guy. Skates really well, can put up points, and there's defensive potential. Hasn't had the best season, but that's why he's likely not a top two round guy.

Pashin-Under-sized Russian winger playing almost entirely in the MHL, so he's not going to have much hype. Very good skater though, and has a good variety of offensive skills. I thought of a pretty weak Russian 2002 forward crop he's one of the better ones. I've consistently been impressed.

Heineman-Late riser this year who wasn't well regarded prior to this season. Strength is definitely his goal-scoring.

Rafkin-Big fan of the way he plays. Really good skating, and can run a PP. A little under-sized, but he plays with a lot of intensity defensively. Will deliver big hits, despite his size.

Benning-Very cerebral defenseman. A little like Adam Fox. Size+skating is only around average, but the rest of his game is very good. Playing in the CHL would have him drafted higher, in my opinion.

Ovchinnikov-Late riser this year playing in the MHL. Been very productive in the MHL as one of the 2020 draft's youngest players. Good skater and playmaker with a lot of skill. Hasn't yet gotten himself into the Russian team at the international level, so he might be a little underrated.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Beryozkin-Late birthday with minimal international games for Russia. Good size+shooting+playmaking combo.

Skotnikov-Another late birthday. This guy does have more international games, but is under the radar due to Askarov. Very athletic goalie, but not completely all over the place. I also like when goalies have a history of good performance. Skotnikov has put up two good MHL seasons now.

Thompson-High upside guy. Skates really well, can put up points, and there's defensive potential. Hasn't had the best season, but that's why he's likely not a top two round guy.

Pashin-Under-sized Russian winger playing almost entirely in the MHL, so he's not going to have much hype. Very good skater though, and has a good variety of offensive skills. I thought of a pretty weak Russian 2002 forward crop he's one of the better ones. I've consistently been impressed.

Heineman-Late riser this year who wasn't well regarded prior to this season. Strength is definitely his goal-scoring.

Rafkin-Big fan of the way he plays. Really good skating, and can run a PP. A little under-sized, but he plays with a lot of intensity defensively. Will deliver big hits, despite his size.

Benning-Very cerebral defenseman. A little like Adam Fox. Size+skating is only around average, but the rest of his game is very good. Playing in the CHL would have him drafted higher, in my opinion.

Ovchinnikov-Late riser this year playing in the MHL. Been very productive in the MHL as one of the 2020 draft's youngest players. Good skater and playmaker with a lot of skill. Hasn't yet gotten himself into the Russian team at the international level, so he might be a little underrated.
Ovchinnikov I agree is very underrated just like a lot of Russians this draft. Guys like him and Khusnutidov aren't talked about enough.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

I think it was the Gretzky-Hlinka I watched in the summer and I loved Pashin. He was buzzing around the ice.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Victor Mancini, American playing for Frölunda has stood out for me. Plays a simple but very effective game. Quick and hard shots from the blue line, strong defensively. Awkward skater but still quite mobile. Doesn't play on the PP but I believe he could, would make his numbers look better. Think he'll get drafted somewhere in the second half of the draft.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad