Player Discussion: Slater Koekkoek

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Is it time to start calling this guy a bust? Man, how tragic to think of how close they were to still having Jacob Trouba on the board. Of course organizations develop players differently so no guarantee that Trouba would be as awesome as he is now, but wow, just imagine having Trouba on the lightning instead of koekkoek.?

:laugh:

21 games into a 20 year old defensemen's pro career and you're asking if he's a bust?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Is it time to start calling this guy a bust? Man, how tragic to think of how close they were to still having Jacob Trouba on the board. Of course organizations develop players differently so no guarantee that Trouba would be as awesome as he is now, but wow, just imagine having Trouba on the lightning instead of koekkoek.?

Still way early for Koekkoek. He could still be a great player for us. As we know Yzerman likes to take the patient route when it comes to our prospects. He's a defenseman too. They can take a little longer.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

A bust as a 20 yr old playing top line PK/PP and first line D as first year pro in AHL? :shakehead He missed significant time with injuries...would hardly call that a bust.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
His sister goes to my school! I don't know her though so it'd be awkward if I went and talked to her.

I'd say he'll be knocking on the door within the next 2 years.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think another reason we acquired Garrison was so we didn't have to rush Slater. Our top 3 LD are locked up for 3 or 4 more years. I don't expect him to take that long to make it but gives him plenty of time to polish his game. As it looks now Carle will be the one to go but that contract won't be easy to move. Hopefully the cap goes up so we can retain some to get a better deal.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm not even sure how the thought of him being a bust even entered your head, to be honest. He's missed so much development time that it's obvious he'll need a year or two in the A.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Certainly hasn't had the impact I thought he would thus far, but the skills and brain are there. Give it a couple of years.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A bust as a 20 yr old playing top line PK/PP and first line D as first year pro in AHL? :shakehead He missed significant time with injuries...would hardly call that a bust.

Is he playing top PP? Thought Nesterov was the QB of the 1st unit?

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Does Syracuse run 4F-1D on the PP? I honestly don't know. If they don't then I imagine it's Nesterov and KooKoo out there. He may QB the second unit

Nesterov QB's the 1st unit and Slater the 2nd.

Talking to the guys from bolt-prospects who watch most of the Syracuse games, he should be on the first pp unit already and that they can see him getting called up later in the year that's how much he's improving.

This kid has lost well over a year in development already, if we're patient with him he will likely turn out to be a solid force on our blue-line for years to come.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Forsberg-Stamkos-Callahan

Jus sayin

Way too early to judge that pick. I'll be the first to whinge about drafting Connolly, but Koekkoek was always going to be the guy that paid more dividends down the road than short term.

We draft Forsberg, maybe we don't draft Drouin. Gonna trust Murray on this one.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Way too early to judge that pick. I'll be the first to whinge about drafting Connolly, but Koekkoek was always going to be the guy that paid more dividends down the road than short term.

We draft Forsberg, maybe we don't draft Drouin. Gonna trust Murray on this one.

Maybe we don't, but then we'd have Seth Jones instead.

Forsberg/Jones or KoekKoek/Drouin, lets see how this one ends up for us down the road, funny how Nashville has both of them too.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

say whaaa??

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Does Syracuse run 4F-1D on the PP? I honestly don't know. If they don't then I imagine it's Nesterov and KooKoo out there. He may QB the second unit

Saw the last couple of games and it was actually Koekkoek running point and Blujus on left dot. Earlier this year it was Nesterov running the #1 PP...but then we gave up a league leading amount of SH goals a d Nesterov demoted to #2 PP. I'll be watching the replay of last night's game later today so I'll add who was with who.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Against the Amerks on Sat, Koekkoek played #2PK w/Witkoski and did not play on PP at all. Mormina running point on PP#2 and Nesterov running point on PP#1. Blujus was on left hand dot on PP#2.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Thought he showed some flashes of his skill for sure. Some more seasoning and he'll be a solid player.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That kid can skate, holy crap. Liked his offensive instincts, too - seems to have REAL offense in his blood rather than the kind of limited Barberio type of sometimes getting in the play but nothing coming of it type. We've got a good one.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That kid can skate, holy crap. Liked his offensive instincts, too - seems to have REAL offense in his blood rather than the kind of limited Barberio type of sometimes getting in the play but nothing coming of it type. We've got a good one.

Yeah he can move. One moment that sticks out, I think in the 3rd, he had the puck by himself in the Dzone and Kessel was coming in hard on him. I was worried he might turn it over. Koekkoek retreated with the puck a few strides along the boards and then made a nice cut back up the ice and completely fooled Kessel.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah he can move. One moment that sticks out, I think in the 3rd, he had the puck by himself in the Dzone and Kessel was coming in hard on him. I was worried he might turn it over. Koekkoek retreated with the puck a few strides along the boards and then made a nice cut back up the ice and completely fooled Kessel.

Yeah, I saw that too. It helped that once Kessel had blown by, he had 0 interest in any kind of pursuit. Overall, I think we saw some flashes of what Slater can be, but we also saw how/why some more time in the A will be good for him. Lots of raw skill (I was impressed by his wrister too; not a bad weapon for a Dman to have with us). Sort of the anti Sustr.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Sustr and Barberio's days are numbered here. Nesterov/Koekkoek/Witkowski/DeAngelo, etc. will pass them up quickly, if not already. They are just placeholders at this point...just depth in the transition to the younger players. Too bad too...we had high hopes for Sustr in the top 4 and Barberio running the PP like he did in Syracuse. Both have had a very disappointing year from a progression standpoint. Both were on one year contracts...wish they had made the decisions to bring them back harder for our Yzerjedi. Still cheap contracts though...

They might still be re-signed as they are both RFAs and pretty cheap contracts for #6/#7 healthy scratch options. Both signed last year for $874k slight raise to bring them back and play same role shouldn't be a problem. I still like a bit more seasoning on Nesterov (22) and Koekkoek (20). Witkowski made $205k and is also a RFA - might be bye bye to Sustr since Witko is much cheaper and can play that #6 defensive defenseman role and keep that seat warm until one of DeAngelo/Blujus/Dotchin is ready. MacCloud also a right handed shot...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sustr and Barberio's days are numbered here. Nesterov/Koekkoek/Witkowski/DeAngelo, etc. will pass them up quickly, if not already. They are just placeholders at this point...just depth in the transition to the younger players. Too bad too...we had high hopes for Sustr in the top 4 and Barberio running the PP like he did in Syracuse. Both have had a very disappointing year from a progression standpoint. Both were on one year contracts...wish they had made the decisions to bring them back harder for our Yzerjedi. Still cheap contracts though...

They might still be re-signed as they are both RFAs and pretty cheap contracts for #6/#7 healthy scratch options. Both signed last year for $874k slight raise to bring them back and play same role shouldn't be a problem. I still like a bit more seasoning on Nesterov (22) and Koekkoek (20). Witkowski made $205k and is also a RFA - might be bye bye to Sustr since Witko is much cheaper and can play that #6 defensive defenseman role and keep that seat warm until one of DeAngelo/Blujus/Dotchin is ready. MacCloud also a right handed shot...

Witko seems like a better fit for a partner for Hedman, when need be, as well. I know we'd like to run Stralman there, but it's been Sustr there A LOT this year, and IMO that's why we've seen Hedman struggle at times. Sustr likes to jump into the play, whereas Witkowski plays a much simpler, more predictable game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad