Player Discussion: Slater Koekkoek

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So far this season, I can't recall the first defensive mistake he's made, just a lot of positives. Than again, he does get favorable matchups

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
We have a lot of hyperbolic posters and they have their minions. Wouldn't pay much attention to posters that state "train wreck" or "dumpster fire" - these are hyperboles. Koekkoek is a good defenseman and has patiently awaited his turn. Probably needs a change of scenery on a team that can give him playing minutes. Similarly to Gudas ... people here called him a train wreck and slow and an AHL/NHL tweener, etc. Went to Philly and all of a sudden he is top 4 defenseman and a great addition. Girardi was the worst defender in the league per Rags fans ... comes here and solidifies are our defense.

I gather Koekkoek will be a top 4 defenseman on some team - just not this one. He is not a PP QB so don't expect gaudy point totals. But he will be solid wherever he lands. At the moment he is insurance policy in case of injury on the left side as our prospects are still figuring out the AHL. Doubt he gets moved ... his value to the Lightning (in case of injury) is probably higher than what a team would reasonably give up for him. The acquisition of Sergachev and his tool set (being able to QB the PP for example and ability to play both sides) probably sealed Koekkoek's long term prospects with our team.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Koekkoek is talented but like wolf typed, is in need of a new home. I liked him in Syracuse as he progressed well during his time here. Perhaps a return to Syracuse to get top four minutes before a deal to show case him would be nice. He is young, so errors should be expected. Maybe rushed a bit to the NHL, but he does have the tools to be an NHL level defenseman.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Koekkoek is talented but like wolf typed, is in need of a new home. I liked him in Syracuse as he progressed well during his time here. Perhaps a return to Syracuse to get top four minutes before a deal to show case him would be nice. He is young, so errors should be expected. Maybe rushed a bit to the NHL, but he does have the tools to be an NHL level defenseman.
The only he's in the NHL is waivers. He won't make it through, so he won't be back in Syracuse.

And I agree he has all the tools. Solid shooter and passer plus a great skater. It's the toolbox I'm worried about.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
You're full of crap. First no one said that about Gudas. Second - he's bad defensively, and clearly the coaching staff agrees.
I believe some people were doubting his ability to stay in the NHL because injuries really hurt him when he was here, his already not-so-great speed was even worse. But he has clearly proven in Philly he can be a solid d-man.

But I have to agree on Koekkoek, he has been given his chances and simply hasn't capitalized. Especially last season he was downright horrible. It took Sergachev two or three games to impress more than Koekkoek has ever done in his career. Right now Koekkoek is on a prove it -deal and I doubt he'll be with us next season. I mean he's been 'ok' for his standards this season but that's not saying much. If he ends up staying with us I don't want to see him higher than the 7th D.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The only he's in the NHL is waivers. He won't make it through, so he won't be back in Syracuse.

And I agree he has all the tools. Solid shooter and passer plus a great skater. It's the toolbox I'm worried about.

I don't see the version of Koekkoek that you are talking about on the ice this year. He's a totally different specimen. He's pretty much good for one solid defensive play and one point per game. Strong on his man, makes smart and aggressive plays in the our zone, and probably the best first pass on our D out of the zone next to Heddy. In years past he's been too weak along the boards, he's gotten stronger. He also would rush the puck, paired with one of our more savvy righties seems to have calmed him down there as well. He's definitely a top 6 in this league right now.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't see the version of Koekkoek that you are talking about on the ice this year. He's a totally different specimen. He's pretty much good for one solid defensive play and one point per game. Strong on his man, makes smart and aggressive plays in the our zone, and probably the best first pass on our D out of the zone next to Heddy. In years past he's been too weak along the boards, he's gotten stronger. He also would rush the puck, paired with one of our more savvy righties seems to have calmed him down there as well. He's definitely a top 6 in this league right now.

He's a better option than Sustr and at least he's productive. He also wasn't terrible defensively during his stints before last year, I think the combination of getting sent down after almost being pegged for a roster spot and coming into a team in full disarray threw off his mental game last year, KK was constantly lost and lose his man but yeah version of him hasn't really been seen this year. But then again KK himself is rarely seen this year.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Think they will ever give Koeks a fair chance? Or are we long into showcase territory?
GettyImages-102422985.0.jpg

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Koekkoek. I have seen him grabbing and holding guys a lot this season. He got called for it at least once because he was pinning a guy to the boards in the neutral zone (iirc) for like 5 seconds. I worry every time I see him do it

Edit: forgot which thread I was in which is why I said his name above

Edit 2: Maybe it is worth mentioning that I do not watch the AHL/college/whatever else at all and have zero knowledge about guys coming up, or things like how players are expected to develop. When I comment on players it is usually based on what I have seen them do in the NHL. I assume that most of you are more knowledgeable than I am

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
What would you guys want for him from Montreal?

A LHD as good as Koekkoek or better making as much as Koekkoek or less. He may not be much but he’s cheap depth which is what we’ll need next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad