Player Discussion: Slater Koekkoek

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
Thought I'd make a thread for Slater for those of us watching him in action in the Super Series for team OHL.

It's likely that the first game of the two will be the only game that Slater is dressed for as he is not named for the game on the 25th.

My initial thoughts when looking at Team OHL's roster was that Slater would be on the 2nd defensive pairing, thoughts?

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
Haven't seen anything that's been noticeably impressive other than his skating, some good bursts of speed. Doesn't look out of place though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sportsnet carrying the Windsor game tonight for any Canadians out there.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
what are the chances he makes TB from the beginning of the season?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
what are the chances he makes TB from the beginning of the season?

It would be a very bad thing if he did in my opinion I would really like him one year in ahl and maybe 2 myself.

If he does make the bolts it just goes to show what a disaster we are defensively at this time.

The kid has everything to become a top 2 defender in the future. I hope we dont have to rush him but if choice is KoekKoek or Salo? I choose Slater.

I think he is already ahead of barberio probably I just want patience for all the time he missed with injuries. He has everything to be close to as good as hedman so I will piss and moan if he is here from day one if he doesnt get large minutes over 15.

I would much rather him getting like 24 in AHL:)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't think is says our D is that bad if he makes the team, it'll say how good most of know he is. I don't see him making it out of camp but he'll be up at some point next season. He doesn't need 2 years in the A as he played just as many games as Drouin did this year so he didn't miss much time and even the year before he played over half the season. The issue with him is gonna be Hedman/Carle/Brewer are ahead of him and not moving this season. Sustr was a RH shot which helped him make the team.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I don't think is says our D is that bad if he makes the team, it'll say how good most of know he is. I don't see him making it out of camp but he'll be up at some point next season. He doesn't need 2 years in the A as he played just as many games as Drouin did this year so he didn't miss much time and even the year before he played over half the season. The issue with him is gonna be Hedman/Carle/Brewer are ahead of him and not moving this season. Sustr was a RH shot which helped him make the team.

Yeah, but Drouin also played at the Subway Series and in the playoffs. He also didn't miss most of last year too. Koekkoek has missed some serious development time, there's no arguing that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, but Drouin also played at the Subway Series and in the playoffs. He also didn't miss most of last year too. Koekkoek has missed some serious development time, there's no arguing that.

Even with the playoffs they played the same amount of games. The subway series is two games I believe, Drouin did play in the WJC's so that's a few games there but in total not much this season. Last year they were close to the same in regular season games. Koekkoek's draft year is where he really missed a lot of time. In the past 3 seasons he's missed about one years worth of games but every time he comes back he seems better then before so don't see it affecting his development.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
is 2-3 forwards a year who can make the big leap is not often defenders are difference makers and usually takes a lot longer time wise.

That is the difference and I think you totally ignore it to try to win your arguments hose.

Is all good but honestly if Slater makes this team it means our defense SUCKS

Adding slater for kostka aulie and/or salo is not an upgrade that makes our defense not suck. We sucked last year so why would losing three guys adding one make that change?

This is why we are not still playing was not offense was the defense. If bishop had not stood on head majority of year we would have sucked.

I do not think anyone can claim slater is better at 11 minutes a game than 24 and leading team and playing power play qb at ahl.

Drouin cant go to AHL so is totally different thing. Is like the argument of Kucherov I do not think him playing in ahl will help him as much as having good line mates in nhl.

Slater is the other flip side though. If we move barberio sure put slater up give him 14-15 minutes a game I am very fine with that.

We are not a top team defensively.

Gudas is proven but just barely. Sustr is a rookie barberio is a rookie adding slater to that mix is three unrpoven guys. Two new rookies might work but three is a train wreck in my humble opinion.

Is just not smart and does not make a good defense. Is that simple. I think in time slater is our second best defender if not pushing for the top. I love the kid just do not see him ready cause of the injuries.

No reason to rush things let it happen at its pace. Hopefully we do not have injuries like did last year and have a kucherov situation:)

I seriously do not want SLATER riding the bench. I am not sure how much that hurt kucherov's development yet think the extra time in ahl would have went a long way for kucherov!! I also think it does hurt defenders a lot more.

I really do not feel defenders are ready 95% or more of the time till they hit 23. Sometimes you can have a forward at 20 who comes through. Is rare though. I think is a lot more rare for defenders at those types of lower ages.

Is really easy to have set backs mentally by rushing guys.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Even with the playoffs they played the same amount of games. The subway series is two games I believe, Drouin did play in the WJC's so that's a few games there but in total not much this season. Last year they were close to the same in regular season games. Koekkoek's draft year is where he really missed a lot of time. In the past 3 seasons he's missed about one years worth of games but every time he comes back he seems better then before so don't see it affecting his development.

They played exactly the same amount of games this year counting the playoffs (and excluding international tournaments).

In 2012-13, Drouin played 70 games and Koekkoek played 42 games.

In 2011-12, Drouin played 50 games as a rookie. Koekkoek played 26 as a sophomore.

Total for the last 3 years
Drouin: 182 games
Koekkoek: 130 games

Like you said, that's about 2/3 of a season worth of development that he has missed out on, including a whopping 0 GP in the playoffs. For a guy that young, especially as a defenseman, that time missed is crucial.

No doubt he has still played exceptionally well when he has been healthy, but he will be playing against professional men now, not a bunch of kids that he is bigger and better than. I think he'll be fine, but we can't rush him along. Let him take some time in the AHL until he proves that he is too good for it *and* that he can stay healthy for a full year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I agree that Koekkoek taking Kostka or Aulie's spot as the 7th D or scratched is dumb but if he takes over Salo's spot on the top pair that would be sweet. Sure they'll be some rough nights but getting that type of experience and minutes could be huge. We threw Hedman out there as a kid and dealt with his ups and downs.

Our D didn't suck last year, it sucked at times but for the majority of the year we were good. An upgrade to Salo will help, more consistency from the 2nd pair will help, finding a steady partner for Brewer instead of changing it every game should help. The pieces are there to be a solid D with some good improvement this offseason we should be ok on the backend.

Back to Slater, look at the D from his draft class, Murray, Maatta, Ceci, Reilly, Trouba they're all getting 15+ minutes a night and not looking out of place. He can be next up on that list. I know defenders need time to develop but they also need NHL games so you know what you really got. SY and the coaching staff hasn't been afraid to keep young defenders on the roster when it seemed they'd be in the A slowly developing. Gudas didn't seem like he'd be ready for the NHL let alone a top 4 spot, Sustr seemed destined for top pair minutes in Syracuse, if Koekkoek comes to camp hungry he can win a spot with ease.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
Back to Slater, look at the D from his draft class, Murray, Maatta, Ceci, Reilly, Trouba

Please let KK have a break out year like those you've listed. Honestly I wouldn't mind if he made our team as long as he can handle the minutes. I could see him playing solid for a good part of the season and making Brewer sit for a couple.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
First impression when I saw him was how good his skating is. If it weren't for all those injuries he'd be considered one of the best D prospects.

I really want him to play as much as possible so I hope he'll end up playing the 2014-15 season in Syracuse. Maybe get him a couple of games with the big guys but play him 18-24 minutes a night in the A.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
First impression when I saw him was how good his skating is. If it weren't for all those injuries he'd be considered one of the best D prospects.

I really want him to play as much as possible so I hope he'll end up playing the 2014-15 season in Syracuse. Maybe get him a couple of games with the big guys but play him 18-24 minutes a night in the A.
He kinda is in the OHL though, no? He made first team all-star right next to Ekblad. He was 2nd in voting for the OHL's top Dman award, voted by the leagues GMs (won by Ekblad). He also did well in the OHL coaches poll, where he was voted 2nd best Offensive Dman and 3rd best defensive dman in the western conference.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

I've said it before and I'll say it again. His skating ability is insane.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Connolly killed it at camp and didn't make the cut, hard to see Koekkoek making the team with the depth in front of him on the left side and his lack of developmental time. Sets up perfectly fine with Brewer's contract being up next year, although hopefully by that time Yzerman has injected some more physicality on the right side to make up for losing Brewer.

Hedman/Carle/Koekkoek isn't going to scare opposing forwards, that is for sure. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, you have to think that moving forward ideally Carle is dealt at some point as Koekkoek projects to be an elite #3.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
With Hedman out.

Could we get a peak at Koekkoek like we did last year with Namestikov and Paquette

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
With Hedman out.

Could we get a peak at Koekkoek like we did last year with Namestikov and Paquette

Not likely. They'll go with someone with more experience for defense, like how they brought up Cote and Korobov last season. That's why Witkowski is here now. And if they just need a warm body, you can also choose from Cote or Corrente to stick in the press box.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I was thinking to just have a peak.

I agree he shouldn't be a regular while hedman is out.

Just a couple of games.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He kinda is in the OHL though, no? He made first team all-star right next to Ekblad. He was 2nd in voting for the OHL's top Dman award, voted by the leagues GMs (won by Ekblad). He also did well in the OHL coaches poll, where he was voted 2nd best Offensive Dman and 3rd best defensive dman in the western conference.

Not to mention he was the league's +/- leader up until the last few weeks of the season (and doing it on a Windsor team that was only average at best) until one of the high scoring Otters took it over.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Is it time to start calling this guy a bust? Man, how tragic to think of how close they were to still having Jacob Trouba on the board. Of course organizations develop players differently so no guarantee that Trouba would be as awesome as he is now, but wow, just imagine having Trouba on the lightning instead of koekkoek.?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad