Sky ain't falling (yet, so let's still complain!) - Hawks defeat Sharks 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
..and Brookbank isn't even really on a line. He just goes out every 10 shifts to give Kane/Versteeg/Hossa a rest. Its not a big deal. Morin needs playing time in RFD as he isnt ready for 3rd line duty on this team. Obviously Brookbank isn't fit for it either (hence why he plays 6-7mins there/night), but we are better off with him and Morin getting top ice in RFD so he's ready come playoff time if we need him. No point stunting his growth as a healthy scratch or playing less than 10mins every night.

Last edited:

SLarmer28*

Bollig's been good in his role. Don't get the hate for him. Morin would not score 15 goals on the 4th line, and I'm a Morin fan.
Brandon Bollig is cheap labor and certainly a better hockey player than John Scott.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
not a Morin fan, never really was. Hope he does well but don't see it. Bollig has been fine. He brings energy in the role he has and thats what he has to do. He looks like a good teammate too.

wonder what MM has to say about Krügers assist...

It was a nice play by Kruger - he showed good hockey sense in recognizing that was a forward back there .... and the snipe by Sharp was a beauty. Would be nice to see more of the same from both players.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
..and Brookbank isn't even really on a line. He just goes out every 10 shifts to give Kane/Versteeg/Hossa a rest. Its not a big deal. Morin needs playing time in RFD as he isnt ready for 3rd line duty on this team. Obviously Brookbank isn't fit for it either (hence why he plays 6-7mins there/night), but we are better off with him and Morin getting top ice in RFD so he's ready come playoff time if we need him. No point stunning his growth as a healthy scratch or playing less than 10mins every night.

Yep. I think that's exactly where Q is coming from. I haven't checked Kane's ice time since the move but it seems Q has found a good way to give Kane the odd double shift, keep Brookbank involved and allow Morin to play lots of hockey n RFD.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
It was a nice play by Kruger - he showed good hockey sense in recognizing that was a forward back there .... and the snipe by Sharp was a beauty. Would be nice to see more of the same from both players.

Pass by Kruger was a great, but I was almost more surprised by Sharp's finish :laugh:. Half expecting Sharpie to sky that one over the cross bar or snap his stick. And then a penalty shot to finish. Too good by Sharp. Sharpie is always dangerous but we are so good when he's actually finishing.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
not a Morin fan, never really was. Hope he does well but don't see it. Bollig has been fine. He brings energy in the role he has and thats what he has to do. He looks like a good teammate too.

wonder what MM has to say about Krügers assist...

It was a nice tape to tape mattress pass. As I posted on another thread, it is marked on my calendar.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I don't think Bolig's play is an issue, he has played well on the 4th line. Its the stupid penalites. Cut down on the moronic penalties he is fine on the 4th line. My guess is Zus will take the 4th line spot.

And why so many are down as much as they are on Zus is wrong. He played no games in preseason then thrown straight into the 2c role which was too much. Then he gets hurt. He simply wasn't ready to play. If he gets healthy there is no reason to think he can't fill a role well on the 4th line. What he did last year in the playoffs has earned him enough to get another shot in a more limited role when healthy. It hasn't been that long, he should be able to regain the quality he gave us last season when healthy.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Bollig's been good in his role. Don't get the hate for him. Morin would not score 15 goals on the 4th line, and I'm a Morin fan.

Aside from the stupid preventable penalties I don't think the board (in general) blames Bollig for anything. The guy has obviously worked his ass off and improved to the point where he's not the gaping black hole he was last year. Our problems are with a coach who repeatedly plays lesser players, unnecessarily at that, in lieu of much better options. Ben Smith and Morin are >> the hockey players Bollig and Brookbank (especially Sheldon) are yet are coach finds ******** excuses for not playing them.

Some (not necessarily you) simply look at the success of the team and question why some of us have a problem with it. As a coach it's his job to maximize the team's chances of success by properly utilizing the roster, making sound strategical decisions, and making correct personnel decisions on the ice (special teams etc.). I strongly feel, on a nightly basis, that Q does not maximize this team's chances of success. Playing Brookbank in any situation other than necessity, keeping Keith on the PP, and sticking with the Pejorative Slured box-in PK strategy are things that hurt our chances. If we didn't have such a stacked roster Q's mental deficiencies would be much more obvious (to the general public).

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Surprisd to see that for a guy who's 33, Brookbank has only played in 316 career games. I saw him as being more of a veteran type. More of a veteran healthy scratch than anything else.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
he's always been this way. Fine #7 D that can play if needed and nobody would lose some sleep if he gets traded or won't be resigned

bulletwwings

Aug 17, 2011
Enemy Territory, STL
I think the only problem I've seen so far lately is when that fourth line gets stuck in our defensive zone. I can't count the number of times I saw Kruger try to throw the puck up the middle of the ice to the other team, losing defensive draws which have lead to a few goals, and just looking lost down there. Don't get me wrong there are flashes of brilliance from him, but I just cringe whenever its a close game and he is on the ice. :shakehead

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Aside from the stupid preventable penalties I don't think the board (in general) blames Bollig for anything. The guy has obviously worked his ass off and improved to the point where he's not the gaping black hole he was last year. Our problems are with a coach who repeatedly plays lesser players, unnecessarily at that, in lieu of much better options. Ben Smith and Morin are >> the hockey players Bollig and Brookbank (especially Sheldon) are yet are coach finds ******** excuses for not playing them.

Some (not necessarily you) simply look at the success of the team and question why some of us have a problem with it. As a coach it's his job to maximize the team's chances of success by properly utilizing the roster, making sound strategical decisions, and making correct personnel decisions on the ice (special teams etc.). I strongly feel, on a nightly basis, that Q does not maximize this team's chances of success. Playing Brookbank in any situation other than necessity, keeping Keith on the PP, and sticking with the Pejorative Slured box-in PK strategy are things that hurt our chances. If we didn't have such a stacked roster Q's mental deficiencies would be much more obvious (to the general public).

Ben Smith's played the majority of Chicago's games and Brookbank's a bandaid while Hossa's out.

I'm not blinded by the success of the team. Brandon Bollig is a role player. He knows his role, and plays it to the best of his ability. Brandon Bollig is successful because he keeps his game simple, chips the puck in, chips the puck out, gets on the forecheck and plays physical. Morin's been a successful offensive player because he takes chances and makes plays.. considering the Hawks 4th line starts most of their shifts in the Hawks zone, I find it VERY reasonable as to why Q would want Bollig, who brings with him all that I described, over Morin.. who while is clearly a better offensive player, is not a better role player and at the end of the day, that's what you need on your lower lines.

I've been far from Q's biggest fan on this board. I think that's pretty well documented.. but I also understand how hockey works. Dressing the most talented team =/= dressing the best team possible.

If I were to make one change, I would put Morin in over Smith.. but Morin's still only 22, and I'd rather him being a catalyst in Rockford than playing 8 minutes a night for Chicago.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I think the only problem I've seen so far lately is when that fourth line gets stuck in our defensive zone. I can't count the number of times I saw Kruger try to throw the puck up the middle of the ice to the other team, losing defensive draws which have lead to a few goals, and just looking lost down there. Don't get me wrong there are flashes of brilliance from him, but I just cringe whenever its a close game and he is on the ice. :shakehead

I can't speak to what someone else sees, but Kruger's won 53.9% of his draws this year.

To break it down a little further:

While shorthanded, Kruger has won 20 and lost 20 (50.0%).

By comparison, Jonathan Toews is 2-of-14 while shorthanded (14.3%), Andrew Shaw is 1-of-7 (14.3%) and Handzus was 12-of-20 (60.0%).

Not to mention, Blackhawks goaltenders have a .921Sv% with him on the ice, despite Kruger starting 75% of shifts in the defensive zone (45%) or neutral zone (30%).

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Ben Smith's played the majority of Chicago's games and Brookbank's a bandaid while Hossa's out.

I'm not blinded by the success of the team. Brandon Bollig is a role player. He knows his role, and plays it to the best of his ability. Brandon Bollig is successful because he keeps his game simple, chips the puck in, chips the puck out, gets on the forecheck and plays physical. Morin's been a successful offensive player because he takes chances and makes plays.. considering the Hawks 4th line starts most of their shifts in the Hawks zone, I find it VERY reasonable as to why Q would want Bollig, who brings with him all that I described, over Morin.. who while is clearly a better offensive player, is not a better role player and at the end of the day, that's what you need on your lower lines.

I've been far from Q's biggest fan on this board. I think that's pretty well documented.. but I also understand how hockey works. Dressing the most talented team =/= dressing the best team possible.

If I were to make one change, I would put Morin in over Smith.. but Morin's still only 22, and I'd rather him being a catalyst in Rockford than playing 8 minutes a night for Chicago.

At least we agree on that point. IMO, Morin has quite a bit more potential. I'd hate to see him traded away before Q gives him a real chance. Smith doesn't impress me much.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
I can't speak to what someone else sees, but Kruger's won 53.9% of his draws this year.

To break it down a little further:

While shorthanded, Kruger has won 20 and lost 20 (50.0%).

By comparison, Jonathan Toews is 2-of-14 while shorthanded (14.3%), Andrew Shaw is 1-of-7 (14.3%) and Handzus was 12-of-20 (60.0%).

Not to mention, Blackhawks goaltenders have a .921Sv% with him on the ice, despite Kruger starting 75% of shifts in the defensive zone (45%) or neutral zone (30%).

Not to nit pick but Kruger has very little if any control if any of his goalies save percentage when he's on the ice

SLarmer28*

At least we agree on that point. IMO, Morin has quite a bit more potential. I'd hate to see him traded away before Q gives him a real chance. Smith doesn't impress me much.
Ben Smith is cheap labor and as a RFA next season inexpensive to retain.

If the Chicago Blackhawks trade Jeremy Morin, a young right handed defensive defenseman would be a nice addition to the Rockford Icehogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad