Value of: Skjei to ....

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Thanks for the no vote.
My understanding is Keith has minimal time left, and his exit would provide both place and $ for his successor.

However, if you don't like the production for the $, that's something else.

Keith is definitely on borrowed time and if they are truly looking for someone to replace him that isn't in the pipeline already they will probably just draft Byram instead of immediately trade for an older player, big contract, and likely worse long term player

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The 15OA is too rich for my blood. However, I’d be willing to do Skjei + NYR 2nd round pick for Montreal’s first (15OA). That’s as far as I would go from Montreal POV

I very likely would make this trade.

Ah, finally we are building a consensus.
This is the most you'd pay for Skjei, and you may be influenced by fact this is a deep draft.

I'll make it unanimous, but let me ask this.

I don't know the latest on Juulsen, except that he had severe injury to the face/eye area and is fighting to come back, and otherwise may not have far to go, but last I heard his depth perception was not game ready.

Is that still the case?
If Juuls is truly close to a bonafide legit return without issue, then congrats and I think we can all be classy regardless of our differences and hope for the best for the player, esp if he is a courageous and clean one as Juulsen has been.

But if he has actual, real issues remaining and there is delay in a return, which cannot be guaranteed, then would you consider including him as well for a conditional return?

Montreal’s 2019 first (15OA) + Juulsen
for
Skjei + NYR 2019 2nd round pick + 2021 6th round pick which is conditional, and if Juulsen
is on Rangers roster
plays X minutes
etc
THEN that 2021 6th can be upgraded to
NYR 2022 2nd or 3rd or whatever matches targets Juulsen completes.

I'll accept the offer, but I'd take a risk on damaged RD Juulsen at right price if Habs want to go there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We haven't tried him as a center yet, though. I think you're giving up on Brady too early Bern!

Giving up applies to Namest.
This is about repurposing a current asset to make room for kids to have mins to accelerate their opportunity while getting something useful now that is a seed for later.
Also, Skjei's cap is not bad for who he is/what he does,
but
if we go after Panarin, and possibly others, it would help to recover some of that cap.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
no i see it the way around, the foward, specially Center is so deep that a **** ton of potentially great LHD Dman will fall in the mid round, thats where you hope your scouting staffs comes in.
just to name few, Heinola, York, Harley, Broberg they all have a high upside for different reason, some safer than others as usual!

thanks for the good scouting intel!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ah, finally we are building a consensus.
This is the most you'd pay for Skjei, and you may be influenced by fact this is a deep draft.

I'll make it unanimous, but let me ask this.

I don't know the latest on Juulsen, except that he had severe injury to the face/eye area and is fighting to come back, and otherwise may not have far to go, but last I heard his depth perception was not game ready.

Is that still the case?
If Juuls is truly close to a bonafide legit return without issue, then congrats and I think we can all be classy regardless of our differences and hope for the best for the player, esp if he is a courageous and clean one as Juulsen has been.

But if he has actual, real issues remaining and there is delay in a return, which cannot be guaranteed, then would you consider including him as well for a conditional return?

Montreal’s 2019 first (15OA) + Juulsen
for
Skjei + NYR 2019 2nd round pick + 2021 6th round pick which is conditional, and if Juulsen
is on Rangers roster
plays X minutes
etc
THEN that 2021 6th can be upgraded to
NYR 2022 2nd or 3rd or whatever matches targets Juulsen completes.

I'll accept the offer, but I'd take a risk on damaged RD Juulsen at right price if Habs want to go there.

From what we were told, Juulsen was cleared three weeks ago for practice and Bergevin said he would be 100% at the training camp. His vision issues seems to be behind him.

Personally, I would prefer not to trade him as before his freak injury, he was playing top 4 role and was doing very well. It’s just too bad that puck hit him twice in the face on that night.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Keith is definitely on borrowed time and if they are truly looking for someone to replace him that isn't in the pipeline already they will probably just draft Byram instead of immediately trade for an older player, big contract, and likely worse long term player

Factually spot on except for one key consideration and one significant point:
does the wait on Byram justify passing on immediate help, assuming Chicago wants to push this year? Byram, if you burn an elc year, maybe he comes end of this upcoming season in 2020? Not before. Skjei is plug and play instant relief, and allows Keith to move down and play less minutes, extending what you will get out of him.
how important is any of that to extending the current window, vs possibly a better effort at rebuild.

The other thing overlooked is this is not Skjei instead of effectively Byram, period.
This is Skjei + 7OA, which NYR does not have, but I am asking IF I could hypothetically deliver, would you do 3OA for both.
Don't forget you would still have 7OA to use/parlay.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
From what we were told, Juulsen was cleared three weeks ago for practice and Bergevin said he would be 100% at the training camp. His vision issues seems to be behind him.

Personally, I would prefer not to trade him as before his freak injury, he was playing top 4 role and was doing very well. It’s just too bad that puck hit him twice in the face on that night.

If you wanna assume that is true and I have no basis to think it is not, and he really is close to 100%, or at least enuf of 100% to actually be acceptably functional, then I agree you have no basis to consider dealing him, certainly not at this time.

Suggestion to consider including Juulsen withdrawn on basis of this update. Thank you.

Deal is acceptable as simplified:
Skjei + NYR 2019 2nd
for
15OA

_________

Any one else, other clubs, wanna top that?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You have no insight as to if these prospects are "close enough." You are just being wildly speculative as always.

Sez you.
My evaluations on players in recent years has been more hit than miss:
Kreider, Miller, Chytil, Nieves, and more = positive
Stepan/Girardi overvalued should have been traded [earlier]
Staal overpaid

These highly ranked kids have the bernmeister seal of approval.
So when they work out, you know what you can do.

ps -
It is easy to destroy, it is difficult to create.
Such is life.

When you can demonstrate a capacity to suggest positive change, do let us know.
Same has not been largely evident by you to date.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Sez you.
My evaluations on players in recent years has been more hit than miss:
Kreider, Miller, Chytil, Nieves, and more = positive
Stepan/Girardi overvalued should have been traded [earlier]
Staal overpaid

These highly ranked kids have the bernmeister seal of approval.
So when they work out, you know what you can do.

ps -
It is easy to destroy, it is difficult to create.
Such is life.

When you can demonstrate a capacity to suggest positive change, do let us know.
Same has not been largely evident by you to date.

Wait what? Nieves?
You are not correct about Nieves.
He might not even play in the NHL next season let alone C the Rangers top line and use all that synergy like a Jedi. In fact you have been wrong about everything that needed to fall in line for that to happen.

I'll correct your statement.......

It is easy to destroy......it is easy to spitball to see what sticks.
It is difficult to put together a sensible trade proposal.
Such is Berns.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The 15OA is too rich for my blood. However, I’d be willing to do Skjei + NYR 2nd round pick for Montreal’s first (15OA). That’s as far as I would go from Montreal POV

I'm not sure I'd even do that. He bounced back a bit from 2017-2018, but its reasonable to question if he's ever going to get close to his 2016-2017 performance again. And he makes 5.25 for another 5 years. Montreal can handle that no problem, but its hard to see a guy like Skjei return a 1st with no salary going the other way. IF Montreal's management sees something in Skjei, I'd still ask the Rangers to eat Weise's contract for next season as well.

I personally don't have enough faith in Skjei to want Montreal to commit to his contract though.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Any chance Florida would be interested? They're looking for top-4 D, right? He might be a little expensive for them though if they're trying to sign Bob and Panarin.

Would NYR want Hoffman?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers have 3 LD prospects close -- Rykov, Lindgren, Hajak. Miller is a few away. Claesson played well for us. Staal is approaching end of his career and Smith I want to move.

Skjei should be repurposed.
Uneven performer, but the key -- forward and backward skating -- is very solid +. With the right partner, he looks like McDonagh II; with the wrong guy. not so much. The skillset is there, he is at decent good value [as opposed to ridiculous bargain] money and there is nice term. A late first who is a known commodity, will be asset for next several years.

What am I bid?

I am principally thinking about the following, but others can make competitive offers.

Something around:

Skjei to Montreal for 15OA

or

IF IF IF IF IF
a separate deal could be had to get 7OA from Buffalo, Skjei + 7OA to move up to 3OA.

Obviously, a less ambitious deal for Skjei to Chicago w/out 7OA or 3OA can be alternatively considered.

Thoughts?

til later....

Stop posting

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm not sure I'd even do that. He bounced back a bit from 2017-2018, but its reasonable to question if he's ever going to get close to his 2016-2017 performance again. And he makes 5.25 for another 5 years. Montreal can handle that no problem, but its hard to see a guy like Skjei return a 1st with no salary going the other way. IF Montreal's management sees something in Skjei, I'd still ask the Rangers to eat Weise's contract for next season as well.

I personally don't have enough faith in Skjei to want Montreal to commit to his contract though.

I'd 100% do it if the rangers eat weise's contract.

15th overall + Weise (one year at 2.35 million)

For

Skjei

Who says bern is unreasonable?
A reasonable request in the totality of circumstances,
1 year expiring Weise at 2.35 included as add -- approved.

I like him alote if he is available but I don’t see why Rangers would trade him
Like I explained, want to give LD prospects mins and repurpose his value into other assets.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Any chance Florida would be interested? They're looking for top-4 D, right? He might be a little expensive for them though if they're trying to sign Bob and Panarin.

Would NYR want Hoffman?

I'd prefer the pick given we are coming up on the draft, but Hof is a fallback position to consider.
Thanks for the thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad