Value of: Skjei to ....

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'd 100% do it if the rangers eat weise's contract.

15th overall + Weise (one year at 2.35 million)

For

Skjei
I think this is the best value we could realistically get and I think I’d do it just to use 15th to move into the top 10. Not getting all the Skjei hate in the thread, he’s pretty underrated and if he wasn’t leaned on as our 1D he’d be much better

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
15th outright is appealing, especially if the right prospect was there, and taking Weise is whatever, yet without some hedge on the 15th being a bust, I'm probably not there for Skjei, Just a little too much risk for me.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Yeah, I see that, but if they got enough for DeHaan I could see it.
Also resolves the Fox issue.

I think the Rangers will move on Fox. There might be a bigger deal in place but I don't think it would be Skjei.
Do you think Kreider would be in play for the Canes?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
15th outright is appealing, especially if the right prospect was there, and taking Weise is whatever, yet without some hedge on the 15th being a bust, I'm probably not there for Skjei, Just a little too much risk for me.

I think the Rangers have so many guys in the pipeline that signing Skjei long term might have been premature. At this point I think he could be a good 3/4 with the right partner. I do not think he will be a top pair guy. I think I'd do the 15OA+ Weise for Skjei today.

Reactions: bernmeister

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the Rangers have so many guys in the pipeline that signing Skjei long term might have been premature. At this point I think he could be a good 3/4 with the right partner. I do not think he will be a top pair guy. I think I'd do the 15OA+ Weise for Skjei today.

Yeah I have to say it's pretty close for me, just really would depend on who was left at 15 and how confident they are that will equate to even a Skjei level player at some point down the road.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
From Habs

2nd + prospect not name Brook-Suzuki-Poehling-Ylonen-Ikonen-Fleury

Not trading the 15h OA pick in a good draft vs a D-man that has been struggling for 2 years, not worth it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think the Rangers will move on Fox. There might be a bigger deal in place but I don't think it would be Skjei.
Do you think Kreider would be in play for the Canes?

He's in play to anyone for a premium, but he is not a fit as such to everyone.

Despite supposed willingness of owner to spend, they are going cautiously; not being critical, just saying this is what I hear and see.

Kreider as a rental = a splurge, so I don't see it.
Zib with his term and good $ is a better fit, but I don't see that either unless there is some 3 way where everybody gets what they want,

I agree Skjei would be surplus in a vacuum, but I could see a tweak going on.
Not entirely unlike when Rangers moved Brassard for more talented Zib.
Skjei so they can move DeHaan or other, possible, but not likely but I wanted to see if any Canes fans had input.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah I have to say it's pretty close for me, just really would depend on who was left at 15 and how confident they are that will equate to even a Skjei level player at some point down the road.

The pt for us is to get the pick and have options to move even further up, or to hope for a Chytil like sleeper who may not be there later.

Pt for Habs is to decide not only about talent appraisal, but if help now is better than taking 15OA value and developing and waiting.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
From Habs

2nd + prospect not name Brook-Suzuki-Poehling-Ylonen-Ikonen-Fleury

Not trading the 15h OA pick in a good draft vs a D-man that has been struggling for 2 years, not worth it.

your no vote and request for other variation is acknowledged.
Not sure your restriction leaves enuf meat on the bone for us to consider.

Skjei is not Brendan Smith
someone will pay for him
the ? is to find out who and how much

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
your no vote and request for other variation is acknowledged.
Not sure your restriction leaves enuf meat on the bone for us to consider.

Skjei is not Brendan Smith
someone will pay for him
the ? is to find out who and how much

Cause we all know you'd actually need to PAY a team to take Brendan Smith...

Habs aren't trading a A or B+ grade prospect + 2nd for a struggling d-man that's been trending downward for 2 back to back seasons now. We'd take a flyer on him if it meant a middle of the pack 2nd pick AND a b-/C prospect like McHSane,Ticzka, Walford. Anything ore and it's just not worth it considering his salary. YES we have cap room to fit him, but we could also use that room and bring in a Panarin-type UFA.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Habs aren't trading a A or B+ grade prospect + 2nd for a struggling d-man that's been trending downward for 2 back to back seasons now. We'd take a flyer on him if it meant a middle of the pack 2nd pick AND a b-/C prospect like McHSane,Ticzka, Walford. Anything ore and it's just not worth it considering his salary. YES we have cap room to fit him, but we could also use that room and bring in a Panarin-type UFA.

Not enuf, thanks.
Also, Skjei no ? has the ability, core of which is skating.
Performance is influenced by external factors -- multiple different systems, merry go round of partners, sometimes having an LD Staal when ideally want LD-RD combo.

These are issues that can be resolved.
The talent is there, the $ is not a bargain, but it is not excessive either, and there is term.

I'm not selling a baker's dozen.
It's only 1 Skeji and someone will pay for him

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Trending downward like the whole NYR defensive core.
It isn't Skjei who is really bad, the defense is really bad.
There was a time this season when Staal got the most ice of any dman for a bunch of games.
That says all you need to know.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
Skeji vs 3rd Round 2019 + 3rd Round pick 2020 + 1 or 2 of Vedjemo/Evans/Walford/Tyszka + Can throw in the right for Hudon, Rilley, Olofsson or McCarron.
Or
Skeji + 3rd Round pick 2019 vs 2nd Round 2019 (MTL) + 3rd Round pick 2020 + 1 or 2 of Vedjemo/Evans/Walford/Tyszka + Can throw in the right for Hudon, Rilley, Olofsson or McCarron.

Can add a winger to work a deal.
I'm open to sweet up my offer if NYR retain salary.
I'm open to counter offers but would start with this.

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Trending downward like the whole NYR defensive core.
It isn't Skjei who is really bad, the defense is really bad.
There was a time this season when Staal got the most ice of any dman for a bunch of games.
That says all you need to know.

So what, if he was a top pairing D, he'd still look like one, even on a dumpster team. Look at OEL (for example). Skjei isn't worth a top15 pick anymore,

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Skjei never deserved the contract he received. NYR took a risk, expecting him to live up to his contract. Its not looking good.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Why tho

Drouin > 22
15 > Skjei

Habs get recked so much here it's horrible
I think you’ll find that debatable, most Habs fans want JD gone, want a legitimate Top 4 LHD and still want a 1st rounder. I don’t think Drouin or 15 OA straight up gets Skjei, great if it does but I think we need to add

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I think you’ll find that debatable, most Habs fans want JD gone, want a legitimate Top 4 LHD and still want a 1st rounder. I don’t think Drouin or 15 OA straight up gets Skjei, great if it does but I think we need to add

Not most Habs fans want JD gone, that's simply not true. Guy has been consistent on a 55pts pace for the past 3 years now. ain'T NO WAY we can find that @ 22.

Skjei has been horrendous for 2years now, he's not worth a 15th pick, plain simple. I'd rather trade that pick + something else for Fowler than get Skjei

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not most Habs fans want JD gone, that's simply not true. Guy has been consistent on a 55pts pace for the past 3 years now. ain'T NO WAY we can find that @ 22.

Skjei has been horrendous for 2years now, he's not worth a 15th pick, plain simple. I'd rather trade that pick + something else for Fowler than get Skjei
Not sure the ‘pace’ argument will work for Droudini unless all the other GMs stopped watching the Habs to finish the year but if MB can do better or get Fowler with the 15th I’m in and will take back a lot of the Bergevin bashing I’ve done the last few years if he can pull that off

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad