Confirmed with Link: Skinner traded to Buffalo for 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the weird thing about this trade and the lindholm deal is that all parties seem unaware of the natural regression to the mean that is going to occur for all involved parties. even ferland for us might be playing over his head. this isn't the first time we've seen this from jeff, but this *is* the first time we've seen him in a situation where he can seriously cash out if he can maintain any degree of consistency. someone is going to buy a serious case of buyer's remorse on the free agent market, but it won't be the first or last time. the start he's having in buffalo only validates the decision to trade him in my estimation.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It's interesting that Sabres fans are even commenting on this thread at this point. You won the trade. Enjoy your good fortune and shut the **** up, how about that?

In the short term sure, but he could not re-sign and Buffalo got nothing in the long run or he could sign for massive amounts and underperform. The stories of trades aren’t written in 23 games or even a season. Especially when futures are involved.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
How many hat tricks will Jeffrey score against us this year?
1,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=196,version=1538991834.png

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Skinner is what we thought he was. He's capable of being a top goalscorer in the league. He's also capable of being an okay goalscorer who plays the worst defense in the league.

He can have a huge negative impact on a team. Sabres are getting great Skinner. But nobody ever doubted Skinner could be great from game to game, or even month to month. The problem is that his natural state is risk taking cherry picker, and he has to work hard to not revert back to that.

I hope he never does. Watching him try to score made the last few years sometimes fun to watch. But I don't trust him to stay like this for a second.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Can't believe as a Sabre fan I am saying this but time heals and 13 years is a long time and one day real soon our time will come.

But anyway we literally did the same thing you did with Skinner. We traded RoR this summer who is on pace for 100 points this season. The 3 players we got back have a combined 8 goals and 13 points. Ror literally almost has double that. So we know your pain seeing Skinner go off.

But the thing is you guys are not looking at the positives. Yes the Sabres lost RoR who is playing like a superstar. But by moving him it allowed Eichel to claim the captaincy and make it his team. He developed into a 2 way superstar center. The Sabres shook up the locker room and we have went from dead last this year to currently leading the entire league.

Skinner, like ror may or may not have been an issue in the room. But by moving him out it has allowed Aho to claim the Canes as HIS team. If Skinner was still with you, does Aho become what he is as of today? Maybe,maybe not. But Skinner is gone and Aho DID take the next step to become the leagues next elite star winger like Patrick Kane. Skinner moved allows Svech more of an opportunity to grow faster and grow he has. We both have the longest playoff drought and we picked 1st and 2nd this past draft. I know you jumped up but still you guys were not a playoff caliber team. But now the Canes are a new team. New identity. You guys are having a blast and getting the fans back into it like they deserve. Our teams WILL end our playoff droughts.

Some times you have to totally tear down the strongest parts of the foundation in order to build something even bigger and better. You lost Skinner. You got back an OK return for an impending UFA. Like I said earlier if the Sabres continued their losing ways the picks would have been in the 32-38 range and also 63-69 range. So going off recent history it would have been 2 top 70 picks, a late rounder and a decent prospect. A better prospect then we got for Kane. If the Sabres had continued to be a basement team you guys would have gotten an almost identical return to what we got for Kane. #32-38+#63-69 and Cliff Pu would have been a very close package to SJ 2019 1st which will probably be in the late 20s and Danny O Reagen...so going off past precedent that 2 and 3 would be close to a pick in the 25-31 range. The difference between SJ 1st and BUF 2 from last year would have been 11 spots. #63, Cliff Pu and a 6th would be very close to close the gap in trade value. And Skinner had scored 49 points last year. If he had kept that pace up this year you would hardly be thinking of Skinner and what he is doing.

So what you guys should do is if you held a a
Soft spot for Skinner and liked him as a Cane, then be happy for his success. If you are checking his numbers just to be upset about it don't. Be happy that Aho has developed into a true star player and the future of your team along with Svech. You guys will make the playoffs and end the drought. RoR had another goal tonight and has almost 30 points. But considering we are the #1 team in the league and STL is awful I could care less if he wins the Art Ross.

Because all that matters is what the Sabres do themselves and that goes for the Canes too. Skinner can score 60 goals for us but when your guys team ends the drought and returns to the playoffs as a perennial playoff team led by 2 budding superstar wingers you will not be caring what Skinner does every game.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm so very happy for him to escape this team. He deserves to be recognized for the things he does well. He's been one of the best goal scorers in the league, and we played him on the third line.

I think we care because we clearly aren't a better team yet, and we were sold a concept in the off season that doesnt seem to line up with what we see. So to sell early on Skinner is painful, even if he wouldnt score like this for us this year. He wouldn't have. Watching the guys our new management criticized on their way out the door do well is curiously aggravating and pleasing at the same time...

If we were winning more consistently and played a more organized game I think we wouldn't be paying so much attention. Ferland is great but he's not enough after letting go so much. Svech and Necas need time, they shouldn't have assumed to be ready.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I remember when people warned us about Semin, and then he came in with something to prove and put up 44 in 44, and we were all like "You fools! Semin is the best, you don't know what you're talking about!"

I hope it doesn't happen with skinner. But it's very very early, especially if an 8x9 or something crazy comes next.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I remember when people warned us about Semin, and then he came in with something to prove and put up 44 in 44, and we were all like "You fools! Semin is the best, you don't know what you're talking about!"

I hope it doesn't happen with skinner. But it's very very early, especially if an 8x9 or something crazy comes next.
Whatever it takes to make us feel better about the trade amirite?

Skinner only has 18 goals less than Semin at this point. Just lazy, I'm so at mad analysis at this point when it comes to Skinner.

It's not diffcult to admit we got hosed. It was a regular occurrence under Francis. Only when he decided to trade.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He wasn't staying beyond this season, regardless, because we weren't paying him the money he'll be getting this off-season. That's a fact.

Would one year of all-out Skinner have been worth forgoing 3 picks and a prospect? We won't know the other end of that equation for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad