Confirmed with Link: Skinner traded to Buffalo for 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
You’re framing this as a semantics argument, but it’s not semantics… it’s just numbers.

In the statistical category we’re talking about, only 10 players in the NHL have matched or exceeded Skinner. If you’re dead set on including Patches and Kessel and Tarasenko, go ahead… that’s 13 comparables among the 32 teams.

Using even the more generous framework, that leaves Skinner in the top 1/2 of 1% of players during this timeframe, in terms of putting together those big goal scoring seasons.

I think it’s fair to call someone “reliable” if they are more reliable than 99.5% of their peers… if you disagree, if you think that still makes him unreliable, fine. The numbers stay the same regardless of the semantic spin.
I can’t tell if you’re f***ing with me or not. You can’t tell me it’s just the numbers when saying reliable 30-40 goal scorer when he has seasons of 20,18, 13,28,7, &14 goals which are less than 30 goals and account for half of the time he’s spent in the league.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
One thing is for damn sure, Skinner’s SM/60 is unmatched. No other player to ever wear the swirl has or ever will compete with Jeffries angelic almost child like charms. As granny would say “such a nice young man” and by god she was right.

70461140-10FB-4817-B4F8-FF8221FC7B73.jpeg

He was and is pretty good at putting the ol biscuit in the basket as well.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Skinner always reminded me of Mike Cammalleri in that he scored a lot of so what goals, but they all count. for a guy that scored almost 300 goals in 900 games, he's very quickly forgotten. sometimes that's just how it goes.
If you never play in even a single playoff game, you are much more likely to be forgettable.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If you never play in even a single playoff game, you are much more likely to be forgettable.
Thinking about this, and the fact he’s played for the teams that he has I’m guessing he’s been on national TV less than just about anyone with as many goals as he’s scored in the last 3 or 4 decades.

Reactions: geehaad

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is the 6th time he's scored (or paced, in the case of the current season) 30 goals and he had 28 in another season. 7/12 seasons at that level is extremely reliable.

During the same period, the following players have matched or exceeded those numbers:

Sidney Crosby
Nikita Kucherov
Brad Marchand
Auston Matthews
Connor McDavid
Alex Ovechkin
Joe Pavelski (actually falls slightly short but he's so close it seems more fair to count him than not)
Jeff Skinner
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Jonathan Toews
I agree with the rest of your list, @tarheelhockey , but I disagree that Jeff Skinner has matched or exceeded the numbers of Jeff Skinner. :sarcasm:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Most likely, the one who has no chemistry with his linemates and can't play defense

:cool:

but the goals @Svechhammer the goals!

I actually looked back. My first take was that I didn't understand giving Skinner away for a Pu but I think it all worked out in the end. I rarely have strong opinions on the matter of player trades since there is so much that goes on behind the scenes we aren't privy too.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Buffalo is not a good team. The 2019 2nd will be high. There shouldn't be a huge difference between say Pittsburgh's 1st and that pick.

Buffalo was in fact bad that year. I never really did understand the criticism of the return itself, even if things hadn't played out as expected. With a player or prospect, maybe you can make the argument that they got blinded by an asset they liked. When a player is traded for a draft pick, the value is in black and white. If you thought he (or Bean or Nedeljkovic) was worth more, you were wrong. Don Waddell was not on the phone trying to sell another GM on the value of Jeff Skinner like a car dealership. The market is the market.
Still, I'm a disappointed fan. I would have been willing to forgo that type of return for the 1 year of Skinner. It's time to move on from asset accumulation mode. I guess the FO disagrees.

I'll take the L on this one. What we saw October - December 2018 was what I feared. The team couldn't score. And then Rask for Nino happens. The roster is better balanced and the rest is history.

They're constantly putting themselves out there (big Hamilton trade, Skinner trade, buying a 1st via Marleau, Reimer in lieu of a Darling buyout, Gardiner in and Faulk for assets, Calder nominee for a 3rd, letting Hamilton walk, Kotkaniemi offer sheet, Kotkaniemi extension). This is right there with the Marleau trade, perhaps even more impressive given the almost unbelievable circumstances surrounding the Jarvis pick. I have to give them their props for this one.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Most likely, the one who has no chemistry with his linemates and can't play defense

:cool:

No doubt Skinner had his warts. But in addition to goal scoring he was great on the forecheck, he played with a fire that was missing from most of the team most of his time with Carolina, and I don't think there can be much argument that he was entertaining to watch.

I'm not arguing against the trade or criticizing the return, but I would argue that during those dark years Canes games were much more watchable with Skinner in the lineup than they would have been without him. I recall several games where Skinner scored a last second goal to pull out a win or send it to OT.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
No doubt Skinner had his warts. But in addition to goal scoring he was great on the forecheck, he played with a fire that was missing from most of the team most of his time with Carolina, and I don't think there can be much argument that he was entertaining to watch.

I'm not arguing against the trade or criticizing the return, but I would argue that during those dark years Canes games were much more watchable with Skinner in the lineup than they would have been without him. I recall several games where Skinner scored a last second goal to pull out a win or send it to OT.
did those recollections involve a playoff clinching game or actual playoff game? asking for a friend (hint: his name is Erik Cole)

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Looking up Skinner's stats, some interesting notes---he has only had one year where he has blocked more shots than he has scored, if the season ended today, it would only be his 3rd year where he would have more assists than goals (1 is this year and the other 2, he did so by one assist each), and as of today, he has not played 60 minutes on the PK....for his career.

And if Skinner is a reliable goal scorer--Logan Couture has 310 goal v. 314 for Skinner--in 3 less career games.

But that smile is infectious...

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Its amusing you all think he would have been contributing this much with the Canes had he stayed here. Newsflash, he wouldn't have, the only reason he's performing now is that he had a boot shoved up his ass with the psychological blow of being traded from a team he thought he was the face of and now he is out playing like he has something to prove. If he was in Carolina, he'd still be coasting nightly collecting paychecks thinking he could do whatever he wanted and there would be no repercussions for it.

We're better off without that. Yeah, he's doing well now, but we would never see this quality of play out of him here. He needed to move to bring it out.

I mean people can dump on Krueger being the villain in Buffalo for scratching him and playing him on the fourth line, but it worked. He has another level of commitment when playing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad