Post-Game Talk: Skinner and McDavid, that is all you need to know

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Wonder who comes out when Kane comes back. Everyone is firing on all cyclinders. Shore is outscoring the opposition everytime he's on the ice, Foegle looks reborn, and Ryan keeps scoring. Does Holloway even crack the lineup when he's healthy?
Someone seems to always be nicked up, so that issue will likely take care of itself. But if we remain healthy, could just sit a few guys in rotation.

Reactions: Stoneman89

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
McDavid doesnt need a kane on his line. He needs players that work hard and get him the puck. Kane would decimate 3rd best opposition. Its would be a big brain move, understandable oil fans wouldnt like it lol
You think Kane scores a playoff hat trick last year without McDavid?

Not to mention, our top 2 lines will be upwards of 15 minutes of 5v5 per game, which doesn't leave much 5v5 ice time for the third line. Kane would be wasted there.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You're so biased against Yamamoto. Just like you refuse to acknowledge Drai's (relatively) poor showing last night, you refuse to acknowledge the number of turnovers that Yama created. He's an excellent forechecker and single handedly turned it over at least 4 times by my count.

Sure he missed a couple of wide open nets, but he was effective on the cycle and the line played decently.

RNH had an amazing defensive game.
In a 3-2 game, missing multiple wide-open nets could be the difference between winning and losing and we were fortunate that wasn't the case in this game. Yamamoto does this way too often, which makes his usage in the top 6 problematic. I'd put Foegele in his spot as Foegele seems to have excellent chemistry with Draisaitl not to mention Nuge on that line. Yamamoto's forechecking and lack of hands makes him more suitable for the third line.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
That would be great if Kane is back against Boston. Who plays second line RW?

Kane - McDavid - Hyman
Nuge - Draisaitl - ?
Foegele - Bjugstad - Janmark/Kostin
Shore - McLeod - Ryan

I'm not saying Yamamoto has been great. But the options to replace Yamamoto are slim pickings.
I think Foegele would be ideal in that spot assuming Kane and Hyman on the first line. Foegele has played really well lately and should be rewarded for his efforts.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
How I would like to see lineup down the stretch…

Hyman - Mcdavid - Kane

Haven’t liked Hymans game last couple but his track record indicates he will turn it around, the effort still there just fighting the puck and on the ring side of the puck lately, I did not like McLeod on the top line, he is to soft on the forecheck and defers to Mcdavid to a fault, hopefully Kane coming back and with Hyman will solidify the top line.

Nuge - Drai - Kostin

As far as second line goes I’d like to see Kostin take Yammo spot, he’s got a very good shot and can help Drai down low with the cycle not to mention him and Nuge have shown chemistry already.

Janmark - McLeod - Yams

Should be a ok line, vet with 2 younger guys. Line can skate just have to be careful with usage.

Foegele - Bjugstad - Ryan

Vet line should be solid defensively and chip in a bit to.

Bottom 2 lines ice times can be dictated by who’s going… they are both pretty equal IMO.

Does Drai really need two goons on his line?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
another idea is to create a dumlaut line:

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto
Kostin-Draisaitl-Bjugstad
Holloway-Mcleod-RNH
Foegele-Ryan-Hyman
Janmark

you lose a bit of faceoffs from Bjugstad but maybe he can spell off Drai and win PK faceoffs? Or drai plays RW?

4th line is just a line of guys you want on the ice.

RNH as 3RW is bold.

the dumlaut line of KDB is big. And when Drai switches with Yam, Bjugstad switches with Drai/Yam.

Kane likes Yam. McD likes Kane.

Last edited:

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I think Foegele would be ideal in that spot assuming Kane and Hyman on the first line. Foegele has played really well lately and should be rewarded for his efforts.

Foegele is 4-3-7 in his last ten. Yamamoto is 4-1-5 and -2 in his last 10. Foegele has an even +/- over that time.

Seems like a very marginal upgrade to move Foegele to his off wing.

Not sure Foegele playing higher in the lineup in a position he has very limited experience in as an Oiler is the best bet at this time.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Foegele is 4-3-7 in his last ten. Yamamoto is 4-1-5 and -2 in his last 10. Foegele has an even +/- over that time.

Seems like a very marginal upgrade to move Foegele to his off wing.

Not sure Foegele playing higher in the lineup in a position he has very limited experience in as an Oiler is the best bet at this time.
I think it's more about chemistry. In their rare appearances together, Foegele and Draisaitl seem to have chemistry, whereas the DRY line hasn't worked consistently for the last three years yet Woodcroft keeps forcing them together. Hopefully once Kane returns that will bump Yamamoto down to a position that better utilizes his strengths.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
That teams worse than the current one.
Possibly but you can't predict the other moves we would have made. Eichel, Chabot and Barzal worse than one McDavid? That is a lot of depth right there. We would not have gotten Lucic if we never got McDavid. Our GMs were forced by fans to make moves for the sake of making them.

Don't forget we had Matt Benning, Caggiula, Brandon Davidson, Mark Fayne, khaira, and osterle 2 years into McDavid tenure. It was so sad we made moves for fayne, Larsson, Reinhart and whatever other garbage.

The move for Larsson would never have happened if we kept the 2 picks in 2015. JP might not have been our pick as we could have tanked for Matthews.

So our current roster right now could be this

Hall Matthews Hyman
Kane Eichel Draisaitl
Barzal-RNH-Eberle

Nurse-ceci
Chabot-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg

Barzal on the third line FFS. Imagine that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Possibly but you can't predict the other moves we would have made. Eichel, Chabot and Barzal worse than one McDavid? That is a lot of depth right there. We would not have gotten Lucic if we never got McDavid. Our GMs were forced by fans to make moves for the sake of making them.

Don't forget we had Matt Benning, Caggiula, Brandon Davidson, Mark Fayne, khaira, and osterle 2 years into McDavid tenure. It was so sad we made moves for fayne, Larsson, Reinhart and whatever other garbage.

The move for Larsson would never have happened if we kept the 2 picks in 2015. JP might not have been our pick as we could have tanked for Matthews.

Hall Matthews Hyman
Kane Eichel Draisaitl
Barzal-RNH-Eberle

Nurse-ceci
Chabot-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg

Yeah, if we're just imagining things and building fantasy teams, I think I would have picked McDavid a 8 days a week.

You are suggesting not having McDavid is better? That's f***ing lunacy frankly.

Reactions: iCanada

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Hall Matthews Hyman
Kane Eichel Draisaitl
Barzal-RNH-Eberle

Nurse-ceci
Chabot-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg

Lol, one of those draft positions or trades or non-trades changes the entire selection. It's like saying I got3 numbers right on lotto max but only if only the lottery balls dropped properly on the other 4numbers I would have won the jackpot

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think they should consider moving Foegele up the lineup just because he's playing well. Maybe for short periods of time, but let him thrive in spots where he's been and should be placed, like the bottom 6. He does really well playing with kids in the sandbox his own level.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't think they should consider moving Foegele up the lineup just because he's playing well. Maybe for short periods of time, but let him thrive in spots where he's been and should be placed, like the bottom 6. He does really well playing with kids in the sandbox his own level.

It would be nice to get more defined line combinations in the final 17 games in the season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Having guys like Foegele, Bjugstad, McLeod and Kostin in the bottom-6 to move up if they're having strong games is huge for this team. This team's depth without McDrai on ice has been GREAT this year.

Reactions: Stoneman89

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
another idea is to create a dumlaut line:

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto
Kostin-Draisaitl-Bjugstad
Holloway-Mcleod-RNH
Foegele-Ryan-Hyman
Janmark

you lose a bit of faceoffs from Bjugstad but maybe he can spell off Drai and win PK faceoffs? Or drai plays RW?

4th line is just a line of guys you want on the ice.

RNH as 3RW is bold.

the dumlaut line of KDB is big. And when Drai switches with Yam, Bjugstad switches with Drai/Yam.

Kane likes Yam. McD likes Kane.
This looks like something Pat Quinn would do.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Hall Matthews Hyman
Kane Eichel Draisaitl
Barzal-RNH-Eberle

Nurse-ceci
Chabot-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg

We would have drafted 4th if we didn't win the Mcdavid lottery. Most of the rumors before we won the lottery had us going after Hanafin at 4th and Erickson Ek or Svechnikov at 15. Hyman and Kane would have never signed here without Mcdavid. We probably end up like Buffalo and miss the playoffs for another 5 years before the team starts becoming good.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
We would have drafted 4th if we didn't win the Mcdavid lottery. Most of the rumors before we won the lottery had us going after Hanafin at 4th and Erickson Ek or Svechnikov at 15. Hyman and Kane would have never signed here without Mcdavid. We probably end up like Buffalo and miss the playoffs for another 5 years before the team starts becoming good.

i remember eriksson ek

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
How I would like to see lineup down the stretch…

Hyman - Mcdavid - Kane

Haven’t liked Hymans game last couple but his track record indicates he will turn it around, the effort still there just fighting the puck and on the ring side of the puck lately, I did not like McLeod on the top line, he is to soft on the forecheck and defers to Mcdavid to a fault, hopefully Kane coming back and with Hyman will solidify the top line.

Nuge - Drai - Kostin

As far as second line goes I’d like to see Kostin take Yammo spot, he’s got a very good shot and can help Drai down low with the cycle not to mention him and Nuge have shown chemistry already.

Janmark - McLeod - Yams

Should be a ok line, vet with 2 younger guys. Line can skate just have to be careful with usage.

Foegele - Bjugstad - Ryan

Vet line should be solid defensively and chip in a bit to.

Bottom 2 lines ice times can be dictated by who’s going… they are both pretty equal IMO.

I'd probably do this:

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto

Worked in the playoffs last year, and I've liked Yamamoto's game recently. Kane with McDavid should be the default until it stops working imo.

Nuge-Drai-Hyman

Like you, I don't think Hyman has had a great stretch here. Hopefully playing with Nuge (who he has great chemistry with usually) can get him back to his usual game. I like how much passing/cycling/shooting ability this line has.

Janmark-McLeod-Kostin

Gets Janmark and Kostin back together, with McLeod entering the line. Lots of speed, and a good well-rounded line

Foegele-Bjugstad-Ryan

Gritty, hopefully effective line. Pretty good skill here as well.

Bottom 6 has 6 players who could be in any of those spots, and I wouldn't rule out some appearances for Shore either.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I'd probably do this:

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto

Worked in the playoffs last year, and I've liked Yamamoto's game recently. Kane with McDavid should be the default until it stops working imo.

Nuge-Drai-Hyman

Like you, I don't think Hyman has had a great stretch here. Hopefully playing with Nuge (who he has great chemistry with usually) can get him back to his usual game. I like how much passing/cycling/shooting ability this line has.

Janmark-McLeod-Kostin

Gets Janmark and Kostin back together, with McLeod entering the line. Lots of speed, and a good well-rounded line

Foegele-Bjugstad-Ryan

Gritty, hopefully effective line. Pretty good skill here as well.

Bottom 6 has 6 players who could be in any of those spots, and I wouldn't rule out some appearances for Shore either.
Would probably switch Foegele and Janmark here.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad