Value of: Skinner and Faulk

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I know your GM said you need toughness.

Right now we are using RNH as a winger. How about instead we trade for both Skinner and Faulk, with RNH and Lucic as the base?

(edit: this assumes that Lucic waives)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know your GM said you need toughness.

Right now we are using RNH as a winger. How about instead we trade for both Skinner and Faulk, with RNH and Lucic as the base?

(edit: this assumes that Lucic waives)
What else are you adding? Because Lucic and RNH pretty much cancel each other out.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What else are you adding? Because Lucic and RNH pretty much cancel each other out.
Lucic's only a negative asset if you are a team close to the cap, and I'm assuming he has value to the Canes because their GM said he wanted more toughness, although maybe getting Ferland was enough in his eyes. But still, yes Lucic had a bad season, but was good the one before. I know fans are locked into a mindset of "what have you done for me lately" but often GMs will take a broader view.

At any rate, who else is offering a center as good as RNH?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Doesn’t mean you can try to sneak Lucic into the deal like he has value.
A lot of Oiler fans are okay with keeping Lucic btw, and believe he can bounce back. To say he's just done as a player is vastly narrow. It's complicated. Just like at Dustin Brown, who everyone said could never be good again, and that his physique was just aging out.

Fans just love piling onto a team. They loved pretending Brown was finished because they loved imagining the Kings being screwed over by the cap. Same with the Oilers now with Lucic.

I'm not "sneaking" Lucic in. If Carolina really doesn't want him they can take him out of the deal. I just figured that our team is right up against the cap and the Cane's aren't, so it might benefit both sides.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't have a link for it, but in a radio interview after he made the comment about the team needing to be tougher to play against, Dundon said that his analytics staff told him hitting ≠ winning. I think the idea was to become a team that played inside the dots a bit more; there were too many times in which Carolina dominated possession from the perimeter, but couldn't penetrate because of physical weakness or a lack of commitment to get to the dirty areas to score. Waddell has already accomplished that goal to a decent extent by letting Ryan and Nordstrom go, and more importantly, bringing in Ferland.

Skinner and Faulk have trade protection as well. Ignoring value, I'm skeptical that all 3 players would waive given the undesirable markets involved.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
**** no. Not even a little bit close. We want no part of Lucic unless Edmonton is taking Darling back. Lucic's contact hha extreme negative value regardless of a teams cap situation.
I went back in this thread a little bit (something I don't normally do because I don't want to be bothered with it), so I see that other Oiler fans offered Lucic and it didn't go over well, but let me say it's not my intent to drag that up, and I didn't know that Lucic was viewed so universally in a negative way, and let me say that the fans who know him best do not share that view.

Having said that, I can say that if I were in your situation, and that a player I really needed came along with Darling attached, and I'm assuming he's just a cap dump, and my team had the kind of cap space that the Canes currently do, I would consider it and be respectful about it.

And I have to ask again, who is offering you a better center than RNH? I saw some interesting stuff with Kadri and Nylander, but let's be real. That's not happening. With Bozak out, Kadri is staying in TO, and a Nylander will only be traded for a young Dman, and they won't make that deal this offseason. I assume the Canes would like to make the playoffs this upcoming season, and they play in the toughest division in hockey.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
If Lucic didn't have a NMC, I could see the argument about acquiring him, especially for a team with cap space. Still wouldn't do it myself, but it's understandable.

But his NMC with another expansion draft looming makes him a non starter. Not worth potentially losing an impact forward to Seattle.

Dec 30, 2013
I went back in this thread a little bit (something I don't normally do because I don't want to be bothered with it), so I see that other Oiler fans offered Lucic and it didn't go over well, but let me say it's not my intent to drag that up, and I didn't know that Lucic was viewed so universally in a negative way, and let me say that the fans who know him best do not share that view.

Having said that, I can say that if I were in your situation, and that a player I really needed came along with Darling attached, and I'm assuming he's just a cap dump, and my team had the kind of cap space that the Canes currently do, I would consider it and be respectful about it.

And I have to ask again, who is offering you a better center than RNH? I saw some interesting stuff with Kadri and Nylander, but let's be real. That's not happening. With Bozak out, Kadri is staying in TO, and a Nylander will only be traded for a young Dman, and they won't make that deal this offseason. I assume the Canes would like to make the playoffs this upcoming season, and they play in the toughest division in hockey.

Darling doesn't come with an NMC that would force his team to lose a player of value in the next expansion draft.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
A lot of Oiler fans are okay with keeping Lucic btw, and believe he can bounce back. To say he's just done as a player is vastly narrow. It's complicated. Just like at Dustin Brown, who everyone said could never be good again, and that his physique was just aging out.

Fans just love piling onto a team. They loved pretending Brown was finished because they loved imagining the Kings being screwed over by the cap. Same with the Oilers now with Lucic.

I'm not "sneaking" Lucic in. If Carolina really doesn't want him they can take him out of the deal. I just figured that our team is right up against the cap and the Cane's aren't, so it might benefit both sides.
I think you make a fair point. It is probably a bit early to write Lucic off. He is a limited player, but can be effective in his role. The question is value. Bad contract coming off a bad season. Not many GM's willing to assign much value to that combo.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think you make a fair point. It is probably a bit early to write Lucic off. He is a limited player, but can be effective in his role. The question is value. Bad contract coming off a bad season. Not many GM's willing to assign much value to that combo.
And like another poster said, a NMC with very likely an expansion draft coming in either 2020 or 2021. How many teams in the Vegas ED got bite in the rear end with NMC of players who would not get selected if they were exposed, but the team had to protect them?

Unless you get something of real value, no point in putting yourself in that situation.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Canes fans - what are your aspirations for this year?
Playoffs?
I'm asking because it determines the return for Faulk, should you trade him.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Canes fans - what are your aspirations for this year?
Playoffs?
I'm asking because it determines the return for Faulk, should you trade him.
I was going to ask this as well, but being a Leaf fan, i don't usually get honest answers. Going by the Skinner trade, one could assume they are looking for futures?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I was going to ask this as well, but being a Leaf fan, i don't usually get honest answers. Going by the Skinner trade, one could assume they are looking for futures?
Yeh that is what I wanted clarification on.
I dont really think Faulk is a great fit on the Leafs but he would be an improvement, so I'd be willing to overpay a little on futures but definitely not with current roster players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad