Skillswise, Who's The Worst NHL That You Have Ever Seen

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My dad would answer Normand Baron to this question.
I'd probably answer Dave Morissette.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Probably the worst I've ever seen, at least amongst guys who lasted at least one full NHL season, is Jay Caufield. Just a total slug ... makes Boogaard look like Russ Courtnall.

Kyle Freadrich and Joel Rechlicz would be right up there for guys who managed to get a cup of coffee in the NHL.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
The two names that jumped to mind were John Blum and Allen Pedersen.

Related question; who is the least talented player to have his name on the Cup?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

When I read the title to this thread, Allen Pedersen immediately came to mind.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

The guy MS mentionned in his post is definitely candidate.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Some really bad players have played at least a few games in the NHL. My interest is in analyzing who were the worst players to meet certain GP thresholds.

Worst players to play 100+ games:

Riley Cote
Derek Boogaard
Shawn Antoski

Worst to play 250+ games:

Steve Webb
Wade Belak
Mick Vukota

Worst to play 500+ games:

Wade Belak
Mick Vukota
Darren Langdon

Worst to play 1000+ games:

Craig Berube
Donald Brashear
Kelly Buchberger

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think it is safe to add Blum and Pedersen to the "Worst to play 250+ games" category.

I don't know, my lists were 3 players long and they are pretty exclusive clubs. I'm pretty sure that they're all worse than a player good enough to play in a cup finalist's top-6 twice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think it is safe to add Blum and Pedersen to the "Worst to play 250+ games" category.

Not very good players, but ...

Being a solid defensive defender is a 'skill' and Pederson was a guy who was steady enough in his own zone to play decent NHL minutes as a defender on good Boston teams for several years.

Blum put up huge offensive numbers at the University of Michigan and was a guy who scored 40+ points as a defender in the AHL. Hell, the 16 points he scored in his only full NHL season are more than a hack like Caufield scored in his entire 200+ game NHL career (as a forward).

Compared to some of the guys being mentioned in this thread who could barely stick on the 4th line of their junior clubs and couldn't put up points in the ECHL, they aren't *that* bad.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
How about Krzysztof Oliwa?

Maybe not in contention for the worst player to ever play in the NHL, but he has to be one of the worst to get his name on the Cup.

Semak

How about Krzysztof Oliwa?

Maybe not in contention for the worst player to ever play in the NHL, but he has to be one of the worst to get his name on the Cup.

Oliwa wasn't that bad, actually had some skill. But I'm finding out about Andrew Peters right now:shakehead

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I saw quite a few Flames games live when Sandy McCarthy played for them. I know I'm a better skater then he is. He was a pretty bad player though I'm sure that on a technical level there were some worse than him.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
What about a non-fighter. I think it taints this question to include fighters since they're there for mostly a non-hockey role.

Who would you say is the least talented player you've seen who never fought?

Patrick Traverse, Ed Ronan, any Leaf from the 80s : )

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Peter Worrell. I can't believe a guy who skated like THAT was allowed in the NHL. Sure was entertaining to watch though. I can still remember being at the annual Frozen Fury in Vegas between the Kings and Avs and watching Eric Belanger earn an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for mocking Worrell's almost drunken-like skating stride. :laugh:

The Avs have had some pretty borderline NHL guys on the roster over the years. Jim Cummins, Jeff Shantz, Chris McAllister, and Francois Lerroux were all pretty damned awful.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Peter Worrell. I can't believe a guy who skated like THAT was allowed in the NHL. Sure was entertaining to watch though. I can still remember being at the annual Frozen Fury in Vegas between the Kings and Avs and watching Eric Belanger earn an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for mocking Worrell's almost drunken-like skating stride. :laugh:

The Avs have had some pretty borderline NHL guys on the roster over the years. Jim Cummins, Jeff Shantz, Chris McAllister, and Francois Lerroux were all pretty damned awful.

Shantz played a good role and was actually a pretty good player, not sure how you came to this determination but I'm not going to argue about your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad