Confirmed with Link: [SJS/TOR] Leafs trade F Barabanov to SJ for F Suomela

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Can't be a good look for future top Europeans seeing both Lehtonen and Barabanov hardly getting an opportunity in Toronto. Although Mikheyev has succeeded.
I dont think it looks bad at all.
Leafs tried them and things didnt really work out. they got the chance to make a top team in the NHL when things didnt go well. Dubas found a place for them to have another chance.
I think that pipeline should stay strong. Dubas always doing whats right for the players going back to Josh Leivo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Can't be a good look for future top Europeans seeing both Lehtonen and Barabanov hardly getting an opportunity in Toronto. Although Mikheyev has succeeded.

Dubas gives those guys opportunities and then moves them to the best possible location regardless of whether they get the best return or not.

Fairly sure we are very popular destination because we can offer immediate ice time for them and they can cash in soon after.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Kyle Dubas with another potential STEAL

Scouting Reports:

November 2019 – After playing 27 games in the NHL last season..he does have the ability to be offensively explosive, giving him a top-six upside. It would not be surprising to see the Sharks juggle line combinations allowing Suomela an opportunity to play a more important role on one of the top-two lines. Alex Howes

July 2019 – He has the skill to play higher in the lineup as well if necessary. Chris Legg

October 2018 – Suomela is off to a great start to his NHL career. It looks like Doug Wilson has done it again, finding another effective player overseas to plug a hole in the line-up. The Finnish forward’s four points in 11 games up to this point don’t really do his play justice as he’s looked like one of the Sharks’ better forwards at times... he can help in deeper leagues, especially those which count faceoff wins. He has some keeper value as well if and when Joe Thornton moves on to greener pastures. Chris Legg

September 2018 – Sharks fans are used to Doug Wilson’s European free agent acquisitions coming into the league and having an immediate impact. Antti Suomela might be the next to do just that. He’s been impressing just about anybody who’s watching... it’s not unreasonable to think he could land in the 40 to 50 point range this season if the stars align. Chris Legg

August 2018 – The Sharks signed Finnish centre Antti Soumela to a one-year contract in June of this year. Soumela has played three seasons in the Liiga, Finland’s top professional league. Each season Soumela has improved rather dramatically, culminating in the last campaign in which he was the league’s top scorer and earned himself an NHL contract.

Reactions: The Iceman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I actually don't see a problem here. They saw the Leafs did right by them by trading them to another team in if things don't work out as hoped. It would be worse if they kept them in the minors, instead the Leafs made sure they could stay in the NHL

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Well you missed a huge list of fails. Yet they keep showing up that trains over when the cash for scouting gets capped.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
It's actually a great look and makes Toronto more attractive in the future. It shows that if you don't have a window of opportunity in Toronto, the team is willing to move you to give you a shot in the NHL.
Much more attractive than being buried on the farm team/bench/taxi squad

There's also Seattle coming into the league with 2 farm clubs.With the need for around 70 hockey players etc. There will that many more opportunities in the near future.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I like that the Leafs are willing to take a chance on some of these lesser known European players, and, if things do not work out they move them on to give them a better chance elsewhere. That has to play within agent circles as a good avenue to get to North America, even if it doesn't work out with the Leafs in the end.

I didn't mind him, he showed some flashes but was knocked off the puck way too easily for an NHLer. Hope he finds a landing spot, my guess is back to the K.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My only nitpick here is I would have preferred any draft pick over the warm body, given what went out in other trades.

Reactions: Fonzieleaf

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Maybe someone to re-sign to be on the Marlies for when the young Finnish guys start coming to NA?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Kyle Dubas with another potential STEAL
From Dobber Prospects
Suomela has the skills to step in to San Jose’s top six and produce, but it may take time for his skills to transition. Think Joonas Donskoi but slightly better

NHL certainty 6.8

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
From Dobber Prospects
Suomela has the skills to step in to San Jose’s top six and produce, but it may take time for his skills to transition. Think Joonas Donskoi but slightly better

NHL certainty 6.8

IS HE
going to the Marlies

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I like that the Leafs are willing to take a chance on some of these lesser known European players, and, if things do not work out they move them on to give them a better chance elsewhere. That has to play within agent circles as a good avenue to get to North America, even if it doesn't work out with the Leafs in the end.

I didn't mind him, he showed some flashes but was knocked off the puck way too easily for an NHLer. Hope he finds a landing spot, my guess is back to the K.
Yes I agree, I wasn't at all surprised by the move.

Reactions: wingman75

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Justin Holl is 29. he brokeout for us at 28.
Never know when a guy will break out. sometimes change of scenery is all a player needs. hopefully he does better than whats expected of him for us
To be fair, the only reason he broke out so late is because babcock wouldn't play him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad