Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] Ryan Dzingel claimed off waivers by the Sharks from the Maple Leafs

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
And who should they lose off their roster to give a guy who can't stay healthy a chance? Engvall is one of our best Pkers and brings size even if he is inconsistent in using it, and the other option is losing toughness in Simmonds is the only other guy. Sandin and Liljegren could go down but they are solid NHL dmen and not AHLers, and are both better than Dermott and Holl.

Not worth losing a piece for an injury prone player who hasn't been good in a while.
Quite simple really,
Should’ve just sent Liljegren down to the minors then when Toronto is able to deal Dermott or Holl bring him back up.
Or better yet, waive Dermott.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Quite simple really,
Should’ve just sent Liljegren down to the minors then when Toronto is able to deal Dermott or Holl bring him back up.

Dermott is WAY more valuable and better than Dzingel. The same saying Dubas messed up here would be having a field day on that

Reactions: uncleben

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Is it only me who thought Dzingle could actually be good in Toronto (ala Galachenyuk) and this could be an actual loss for Toronto, even if it's a small one

It definitely is a loss for Toronto.

If he had cleared through waivers, the Leafs would have had a centre they can call up in case of injury.

I'd argue that overall, he probably brings something similar in calibre to what the Leafs currently have on their 4th line in Engvall/Spezza/Simmonds.

Ultimately though, they were faced with a somewhat difficult task / challenge. Either you k

Option 1 was keep Dzingel, maybe play him, accrue 0 cap space, and if you want to add a forward on top of Dzingel, and he's playing at all reasonably well, you're guaranteed to lose him on waivers as the team will not have enough space to carry 14F.

Option 2 was to try and sneak him through on waivers, and then you've got a guy you can call up if / when you have injuries up front.

I suspect the Leafs view/viewed Dzingel as the team's ideal 13th forward today, and 14th forward post-deadline, so wanted to position themselves for that.

Quite simple really,

In hindsight, yes you can certainly make the case that he should have kept Dzingel and run with 13f / 7d, and Liljegren in the minors.

There is problem with that approach -- it would not allow the Leafs to accrue any cap space over the next month (as they can do if they run with 12f/7d), and if he's playing at all well, you're almost guaranteed to lose him at the deadline if you want to add further. I think the Leafs looked at it as -- "We'd rather never have had, then to have him for the next couple weeks, but then lose him".

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Kind of shows how bad Leafs management is that they're not getting assets for guys other teams want. It doesn't mean there's more desirable Leafs players or the Leafs have a deeper system. Which is how I'm sure some will spin it.
Hey sometimes they give talent away for their waiver wire pickups too! Marchment looks good as a Panther!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad