Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] Ryan Dzingel claimed off waivers by the Sharks from the Maple Leafs

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
i think the only player the leafs have waived to not be claimed was ritchie lmao
A bunch of our Marlies guys cleared at the start of the year

Cleared
Claimed

In order:
Kivihalme, Hutchinson, Anderson, Dahlstrom, Menell, Seney, Biega, Gabriel, Brooks, Amadio, Semyonov (unconditional), Ritchie, Brooks, Dzingel

Might not seem like a lot, but this is the first time since I've been tracking that a team has lost a player on waivers 4 times in one season, and we've still got a month to go before the deadline

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Well... San Jose would win because the Leafs could've traded him again and got something. San Jose took him and might get something out of him.
That us a possibility. It depends. The Leafs valued the contract spot and cap space more than the player.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I actually sort of liked the idea of seeing what he could do as a depth player in Toronto. That said he wasn’t on my radar until the trade happened so I’m not super hurt.

This probably isn’t a bad pickup for the sharks to be honest, he’s a decent 29 year old NHL player with some veteran qualities who had a few good seasons with the Senators. If he gets ice time and opportunities he could bounce back.

Reactions: uncleben

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Definitely not just you, I think the Leafs missed out on this one.

And who should they lose off their roster to give a guy who can't stay healthy a chance? Engvall is one of our best Pkers and brings size even if he is inconsistent in using it, and the other option is losing toughness in Simmonds is the only other guy. Sandin and Liljegren could go down but they are solid NHL dmen and not AHLers, and are both better than Dermott and Holl.

Not worth losing a piece for an injury prone player who hasn't been good in a while.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think the Sharks are going to trade Barabonov and Cogliano at the deadline and will have plenty of ice time available. Much like they did with Barabonov last year, Dzingel will get a tryout and if he plays well enough they will sign him to a cheap one year deal.

Reactions: uncleben

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Haha;

More like they are doing Dubas a favour.

Can't see how this is a favor to Dubas. Depth player that has a minimal cap hit the rest of the year. Dubas tried to bury him in the minors so that A) he wouldn't count against the cap and B) be available for the leafs as a depth piece in case of injuries. If he didn't want to keep he probably could have gotten a 7th for him. The only thing Dubas gained was a contract slot.

This was a great move by the sharks. Its obviously not a cup winning move but they have a lot of cap space they won't use and this gives them a depth forward they need for 13k.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad