Confirmed Trade: [SJS/MIN] Kaapo Kahkonen and 2022 5th round pick for Jacob Middleton

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think the Wild made out on this trade. Without Middleton, it's just going to get worse inside the blue line for Burns and/or Karlsson. Neither have good defensive capabilities. It's going to give Ryan Merkley more playing time, but also much more pressure. I don't think he's ready for it yet.

He's run-rate for this season projected to 82 games is 3.4 goals, 6.8 assists, 10.3 points, and a -10.25. Not really that good. He needs a couple of more years of development.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Any rumours of what that contract might look like, or is this a scenario where with tight cap you want to see an ultra-cheap backup in the $750k-$1.5M range.
Kahkonen has been hard to negotiate with, and he's due a raise so will likely exceed $2m. The Wild will likely be bargain shopping for a backup like you mentioned. In the offseason, backups can come pretty cheap.

The good thing about goaltenders these days? Their butterfly style has shrunken the gap between tiers. You don't need expensive to get quality, especially in the backup position. The Wild got serviceable play from Stalock for a while dirt cheap, even surprised with a short but good run as a starter.

Someone can be found cheap this summer to play backup.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Kahkonen has been hard to negotiate with, and he's due a raise so will likely exceed $2m. The Wild will likely be bargain shopping for a backup like you mentioned. In the offseason, backups can come pretty cheap.

The good thing about goaltenders these days? Their butterfly style has shrunken the gap between tiers. You don't need expensive to get quality, especially in the backup position. The Wild got serviceable play from Stalock for a while dirt cheap, even surprised with a short but good run as a starter.

Someone can be found cheap this summer to play backup.
One of Reimer (hopefully him while value is high), Hill, or Kahkonen will be traded most likely in the offseason, so whatever raise Kahkonen gets will probably just neglect getting rid of the Reimer/Hill contract (unless he's the one traded)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's been with the org for 4 years, we kinda have a good grasp of him behind a Wild sweater, a good 1B goalie.

He might flourish somewhere else but I feel he is what he is. He doesn't have the size, the quickness, or the mental consistency to take up the top goalie spot.
KK is quick. Don't how you can say otherwise. He also has good enough size, though he's not a giant.

I think this trade is more of a comment on how much you have to pay to get a decent defensive Dman with size. They are one of the more underrated commodities here on HFB, yet I am having a hard time thinking of a Cup winner in recent memory who had a mediocre defense.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
KK is quick. Don't how you can say otherwise. He also has good enough size, though he's not a giant.

I think this trade is more of a comment on how much you have to pay to get a decent defensive Dman with size. They are one of the more underrated commodities here on HFB, yet I am having a hard time thinking of a Cup winner in recent memory who had a mediocre defense.
I think he's got a quick glove and battles for puck actively but thought his lateral movements to be good but not explosive.

And like I replied to AKL, it's more about the balance of the factors.

I guess another way of putting my thoughts: I want my starting goalie to steal or dominant games. I want that feeling of playing against Fleury in the playoffs where even if you get pass the defense, there's a dominant goalie you to overcome.

With his good enough size and for me, solid quickness, he is a good player but still missing a dominant factor. I do want to stress, I think Kahkkonen is a good goalie and an excellent tandem option, a 1B guy. And i think alot of ppl share the 1B evaluation, I am just trying to identify what is keeping him from being more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad