Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Mikkel Boedker (4 years, $4M AAV)

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Congrats Sharks, he is a skilled player.

Really glad the Avs didn't sign him. He would've kept us in mediocrity and not in full tank mode.

Really high dollar amount (for the AHL) too.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Congrats Sharks, he is a skilled player.

Really glad the Avs didn't sign him. He would've kept us in mediocrity and not in full tank mode.

Really high dollar amount (for the AHL) too.

Am I misreading you or are you calling him a potential AHL player?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Personally, I think it's a great deal. Can't see him providing less than 45 points in San Jose and, IMO, he actually has a pretty good two way game to go with that production. Personally, I'm expecting that he'll at least get a shot in the top six and I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 of his 4 years in San Jose end up being ~60 point seasons.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
If he reaches 40 points, I will be surprised and thrilled. The objective is balanced and spread scoring. San Jose wants a 4-line threat and there's only one puck and 60 minutes. He won't have to carry the play, he'll be a complimentary piece that creates more mismatches for opponents. I think his comments about his career objectives and turning down higher pay show he's on board with that plan.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He had a lot of points because he played on a bad team, people look at players on bad teams and they automatically assume they'll be more productive on different teams, but they rarely are because they're spoon fed more offensive minutes and opportunities.

It sort of depends on the player. For a superstar yes they may take a step back when they are not "the" man. For a complementary piece they could easily benefit from better players around them even if they get less time on ice.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Solid signing by SJ. He's a secondary scorer and this contract reflects that.

On a side note, I see SJ is trying to be more like PIT. Boedker and Schlemko... who's next?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Personally, I think it's a great deal. Can't see him providing less than 45 points in San Jose and, IMO, he actually has a pretty good two way game to go with that production. Personally, I'm expecting that he'll at least get a shot in the top six and I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 of his 4 years in San Jose end up being ~60 point seasons.

Will depend on his PP time. If he's not getting prime PP minutes, I could easily see that happening. However even if it does, it's not the end of the world. SJ (baring some epic collapse) will make the playoffs, and it's in the playoffs where skilled depth guys will shine, and where you want guys like Boedker to play on your 2nd and 3rd lines.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Will depend on his PP time. If he's not getting prime PP minutes, I could easily see that happening. However even if it does, it's not the end of the world. SJ (baring some epic collapse) will make the playoffs, and it's in the playoffs where skilled depth guys will shine, and where you want guys like Boedker to play on your 2nd and 3rd lines.

I disagree. I think even with moderate PP time he will score 45 fairly confidently in SJ. Just my personal view, but I see him benefitting greatly by playing there.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Happy to see him go someplace where he could have a shot at success, even happier it was not AZ, good price and term, he just couldn't put it together for us. Scoring was bad, lots of 3rd assists and he just didn't seem to click. I think San Jose may be able to make him what he can be, it was never going to happen in AZ. Sometimes these things are win-wins. I still feel that we screwed up his development, like we did with Turris and so many others.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Solid signing by SJ. He's a secondary scorer and this contract reflects that.

On a side note, I see SJ is trying to be more like PIT. Boedker and Schlemko... who's next?

DW has tried to imitate every team that has won the cup/eliminated the Sharks for about the last 8 years now :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Little bit odd that a team would file a contract that's against the variability rules and not realize it. Clearly not intentional, just a mistake in not realizing it, but strange nonetheless. First time I've heard of this happening with a contract under the new CBA.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Little bit odd that a team would file a contract that's against the variability rules and not realize it. Clearly not intentional, just a mistake in not realizing it, but strange nonetheless. First time I've heard of this happening with a contract under the new CBA.

Lol, who are the CBA experts in San Jose that overlooked this?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yesterday I didn't want Boedeker but I thought he'd get more too. Now I'm cautiously optimistic. I thought he looked pretty good on the Avs, though I didn't see many games. His possession stats worry me but he's been pretty consistently on a ~50 point pace. I think that's good for the money and term, given that it's the 1st day of FA. His role on the Sharks should be as a 2ndary scorer/complementary player so it sounds like it could be a good fit.

As others have said, he might work well on the 2nd line with Couture and Donskoi or on the 3rd with Marleau or Hertl. I'm not worried about possession if he plays with Thornton, Couture, or Hertl. They're all very good possession wise. It sounds like he could be a good 3rd liner (with, e.g., Marleau and Ward or Hertl and Marleau). If he is, it will be a win IMO. He might improve with different linemates which would be an even bigger win. our PP2 needs help and I think he'd be a good fit there.

There's obviously a risk that he won't click with any of the lines and that his production falls off but that seems somewhat unlikely and, at $4M, the Sharks could probably trade him at a small loss. Overall, I think he's probably an upgrade on Karlsson, Nieto, or Wingels so I'm glad about the signing.
This is the correct outlook on the signing.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is blatantly obvious they were violating the 35% rule

Y=years
T= total compansation
C=cap hit amount

T/Y=C

a simple formula for calculation on a first year is high and last year is low.

Y1
Y2=Y1*r
Y3=Y2*r
Y4=Y3*r

Y1+Y2+Y3+Y4=T=16
1> r>0.65

Y1/Y4 <=2

Y1=y
Y2=ry
Y3=rY2=rry
Y4=rY3=rrry

y+ry+rry+rrry=16
y(1+r+rr+rrr)=16

y1/y4=y/rrry<2

1/2< rrr
0.79<r say r=0.8

when r=0.8 solve for y.....

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Unsure what the rules were under the old CBA----Poile signed him in 2008 to a 7 yr $31.5M contract.

there were no variability rules under the old CBA. Hence all those hugely frontloaded contracts with years of 1 million tacked on the end to lower the cap hit.

So it must have been some other minor thing that they didn't notice.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
there were no variability rules under the old CBA. Hence all those hugely frontloaded contracts with years of 1 million tacked on the end to lower the cap hit.

So it must have been some other minor thing that they didn't notice.

There were contract variability rules in the 2005 CBA, though they were expanded in the 2013 CBA.

The Erat contract ran afoul of the 100% rule. At the time contract salary couldn't vary by more then 50% in the first two years. And year to year salary after the first two years couldn't change by more then 50% of the lowest salary in the first two years.

Erat's rejected contract was:
08-09 $3.50m
09-10 $5.25m
10-11 $5.25m
11-12 $6.00m
12-13 $5.50m
13-14 $3.50m
14-15 $2.50m

So 08-09 and 09-10 conformed with the first two year requirement that $3.5m was 50%+ of $5.25m. Where the contract went wrong was 12-13 to 13-14. As the lower of the first two years salary was $3.5m, the contract couldn't change by more then $1.75m season to season starting in year 3. The change from 12-13 to 13-14 of $2.0m violated the 100% rule.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Why? He's terrible. Arizona juiced his numbers by feeding him an absurd amount of icetime. He's a 3rd line winger, and not even a good one.

Or simply one dimensional, a good shot, fast skates, beautiful stickhandling and smart passing... 1 zoned player and that zone is offense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad