Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Mikkel Boedker (4 years, $4M AAV)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He had 50 points while playing in Arizona and broken Avs. In last three season he had 50 point pace in every in very bad team.

Yes, spoon fed prime minutes.

On the surface it makes some sense – he’s an excellent skater, has some offensive ability and is just 26-years-old (making him attractive to teams hoping for a long-term fix). As such the asking price from Arizona is expected to be very high.

When you look deeper into what Boedker is and what he brings to the table, he’s far less attractive.

Since the beginning of the 2013-14 season he averages just 1.34 points per 60 minutes of 5 v 5, good for 234th among 350 eligible forwards (minimum 1,200 5 v 5 minutes).

That ranks Boedker below the likes of Darren Helm, Matt Stajan, John Mitchell, Brad Richardson, Dwight King and Vern Fiddler, among many others.

Boedker isn’t exactly good in possession, either, and has a long history of injuries.

He is a guy whose perceived value far outweighs his actual on-ice value. It’s usually not good business to acquire guys like that.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good move from SJ. I was hoping Habs would sign him. 4 years at 4M per is a good deal as well. With all of the nasty long-term deals given today at big bucks, smart of Doug Wilson to stay away from that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He had 50 points while playing in Arizona and broken Avs. In last three season he had 50 point pace in every in very bad team.

Yeah, the Coyotes weren't good. That was partly on Boedker.

C71da0d.png

He has one of these mega slumps almost every season.

I think he's overrated, but this is still a fair deal IMO

Agreed. But there's a reason he only got 4 AAV. He tanked his own value during a contract year.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
These Arizona fans that were saying that he's only good on the PP ...

That's a good one! You won't find a single Coyotes fan who says he's good on the power play. He was brutal to watch on the point, but I suppose he won't have to play there on a team with more than one defenseman who can play there.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Most think it was too much as well, but a guy coming of a career year heading into free agency usually carries a heavy price to pay. DW did really well here, paid fair value for the player he got.

He did match a career best in points (51), but every other season he's been a ~30 point player. He shouldn't get that much, unless he makes an impact elsewhere.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Yeah, the Coyotes weren't good. That was partly on Boedker.

C71da0d.png

He has one of these mega slumps almost every season.

Agreed. But there's a reason he only got 4 AAV. He tanked his own value during a contract year.

1.7% shooting percent. His career sh% is 11.3% so add 5 goals to that and his numbers turn to be fine.

In November he was almost at 70 point pace. Now he have first time legit center and he's not anymore the oppositions prime target. And he can play more often against 2-3 D pairings.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He did match a career best in points (51), but every other season he's been a ~30 point player. He shouldn't get that much, unless he makes an impact elsewhere.

He doesn't, unless you count short handed goals against.

He has good wheels and absurd hands, he just never put it together. When the team coddled him the most and offered him a big contract, he shriveled up.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014

Why you look his career stats? Dany Heatley was good 7 years ago and it doens't matter today. Look his last three years which will give you more valid info.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Fantastic deal for the Sharks. I'm actually annoyed because I thought the Pens could clear some room and sign him, and at that cap hit he's a steal.

Great work by Wilson. The way he controls salaries on that team is incredible. With all the talent they have, not a single player making over 7M AAV. Just wonderful roster management.

One of the best signings today.

Dude, I love that you have that Guy Gomo dude as your avatar. Magnificent :laugh:

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
1.7% shooting percent. His career sh% is 11.3% so add 5 goals to that and his numbers turn to be fine.

In November he was almost at 70 point pace. Now he have first time legit center and he's not anymore the oppositions prime target. And he can play more often against 2-3 D pairings.

Exactly. He's probably going to play alongside Couture, I would guess, and everyone saw how good Couture was in the playoffs this year. (> ppg pace in the playoffs is REALLY good, IMHO) I'm guessing the line would be: Boedker - Couture - Donskoi. That is one really really good line, I think.

Plus, the Thornton line is going to draw the top D pairings and best defensive forwards, for obvious reasons. He'll have much better opportunities to score here, even if he does get less ice time. I have to assume he'll be on our #2 PP unit as well, since that #1 unit is pretty much set in stone. (also for obvious reasons, heh)

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Ridiculously awesome signing for the Sharks. 4M for Boedker is great value. ****ing hate the Avs for not resigning him to a similar deal :cry:.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

He'll have better talent around him in San Jose, but it's not like he played with nobody here either. Boedker usually played with Vermette who has been a solid contributor every season except last. Vermette's play rocketed right back up to his normal levels too last year once Boedker was moved.

And for the shooting percentage, it's not a regression to the mean issue. He absolutely goes into a crazy funk almost every single year. You can't just add 5 goals to that because it always happens.

3 more years:
BihFdro.png

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He doesn't, unless you count short handed goals against.

He has good wheels and absurd hands, he just never put it together. When the team coddled him the most and offered him a big contract, he shriveled up.

Wow... Maybe he's better playing a less prominent role on a deep Sharks team.

Why you look his career stats? Dany Heatley was good 7 years ago and it doens't matter today. Look his last three years which will give you more valid info.

Okay...

2013-14: 19-32-51 (Career best)
2014-15: 14-14-28 (This was through 45 games. Would he have produced like this through the rest of the season?)
2015-16: 17-34-51 (Accomplished this in a contract year.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad