Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV) Part II

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hertl 25Yrs old
77-35-39-74

Meier 22Yrs old
78-30-36-66

Kane 27Yrs old
75-30-26-56

Coulture 30Yrs old
81-27-43-70

Labanc 23Yrs old
82-17-39-56

You think that production is going to drop anytime soon with EK and Burns dishing the puck

Good players... none of whom are Grade A/franchise type of guys. Players you can throw in your top 6 to compliment stars, but no big name guy(s) to carry the load. Not really any cap space now to add one either.

Karlsson, despite his injuries, is a generational player. There has literally not been any other UFAs of his caliber in the modern era. Jagr before he went to play in the KHL is the only comparable player to hit free agency, but he was already much older and he ended up not signing with the NHL (and returned and remained productive 8 years later).

Karlsson generational? Laughable. Great player, amazing offensively at his peak, but if he truly was generational he'd have a lot more Norris'.

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
Anybody who wants to criticize DW must first find another franchise that has made the playoffs 19 out of the past 21 years.

First he stole Pavelski in the 7th round, then he stole Thornton....then he stole Burns...then he stole Kane...and now he's stolen Karlsson.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
I just love how Doug Wilson absolutely bends other general managers over the barrel and finds ways to creatively retool on the fly to keep the team competitive. Puts out a hell of a team each of every year through vision, foresight, a lot of creativity, and the willingness to, again, absolutely **** up other general managers at the negotiating table. Like Chara-level ragdolling ****ups. He's built an organization players love to be a part of and although the team has never gotten over the hump and finally grabbed a Cup, he's done just about as brilliant a job a general manager can do.

And yet, HFBoards ****s all over him for being good at his job, brilliantly demanding instead of icing good teams he should just intentionally suck ass for years and years so the league hands him teenagers with bright futures while he rids himself of anyone making over 3 million a year.

I get building through the draft and all, but this obsession with tanking and cap space and maybe hitting the jackpot 5 to 10 years from now rather than, you know, being good today is ****ing laughable. Doug Wilson just locked up a top-3 player in the entire goddamn world and everyone is pissing themselves over the fact the Sharks should buy a lottery ticket for a decade from now rather than intentionally and intelligently trying to win both now and in the future.

If you guys like teams just blowing the **** up and being absolute dog**** terrible for years at a time in order to acquire some shiny prospect, go watch the Marlins or something.

Well said.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
Good players... none of whom are Grade A/franchise type of guys. Players you can throw in your top 6 to compliment stars, but no big name guy(s) to carry the load. Not really any cap space now to add one either.

Logan Couture led the playoffs in 2016 with 30 points in 24 games, 9 more points than the Conn Smythe winner Crosby. This year, he lead the playoffs in goals despite getting bounced in the WCF. If that's not "carrying the load" please let me know what is because I have no f***ing clue.

Nevermind the fact Hertl is a two-way demon and Meier is one of the most promising young powerforwards in the league, just explain the Couture thing to me.

Karlsson generational? Laughable. Great player, amazing offensively at his peak, but if he truly was generational he'd have a lot more Norris'.

iF He Was trULY geNeRATIonAL He'd have morE NORRiS's

Get the f*** out of here. The Norris is a garbage popularity contest; see Doughty, Due. Karlsson is far and away the best defenseman since Lidstrom and is capable of transforming games like no defenseman of this entire generation.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Karlsson, despite his injuries, is a generational player. There has literally not been any other UFAs of his caliber in the modern era. Jagr before he went to play in the KHL is the only comparable player to hit free agency, but he was already much older and he ended up not signing with the NHL (and returned and remained productive 8 years later).

I don't disagree, but the bolded part is concerning. There's are many "generational talents" that don't play into their mid 30's because of injuries. That takes nothing away from their careers. They're amazing players. But an 8 year 11 mil+ contract for a 29 year old is risky, but it's the market. I think in coming years, players with have 4-5 yr contracts with a higher cap hit. Just how I see it transitioning.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017

Hertl was 37th in points/gp
Meier was 59th in points/gp
Couture was 56th in points/gp
Kane was 41st in goals

On average all 4 of them would be either top 1-2 in either points or goals on the average NHL team. Sure seem like Grade A type of guys, definitely not players you just 'throw into your top-6'

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Money and term are exactly what we expected. Every team that could afford that would have offered it, then it was on him to say yes to whoever he wanted.

Did anyone really expect 5x$9 for EK65?

Very true. He was getting that anywhere. Doesn't mean it's not risky, only that someone--probably quite a few someones--was going to take the risk.

Reactions: CrypTic

shylock104

Mar 14, 2019
While i do think this amount is ridiculous I'm gonna wait for Jon Carlson to etch his 11.5M deal before i make my final judgment... A younger, elite, Stanley cup winning dman should make more than a 30 year old who hasn't won any right?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't disagree, but the bolded part is concerning. There's are many "generational talents" that don't play into their mid 30's because of injuries. That takes nothing away from their careers. They're amazing players. But an 8 year 11 mil+ contract for a 29 year old is risky, but it's the market. I think in coming years, players with have 4-5 yr contracts with a higher cap hit. Just how I see it transitioning.

There's obviously risk, but with a talent like Karlsson, there were guaranteed to be suitors at whatever price Karlsson set for himself. If he can get beyond his injuries, he's a transformational talent. What I'm saying is that you can't compare Karlsson to other UFA contracts because none of them were comparable talents.

Reactions: CrypTic

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
What is with this site and hating paying star players full market deals?
I don't hate it. I am more less bitter Karlsson didn't come back to Ottawa lol.... However it's always scary signing a player that has spent a lot of time hurt. He is a trooper and played through the pain and injuries, but I think fans are just scared if Karlsson will return to his 100% self. Still.... I figured San Jose would go all in as they came up just short of making it to the Stanley Cup.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Logan Couture led the playoffs in 2016 with 30 points in 24 games, 9 more points than the Conn Smythe winner Crosby. This year, he lead the playoffs in goals despite getting bounced in the WCF. If that's not "carrying the load" please let me know what is because I have no ****ing clue.

Nevermind the fact Hertl is a two-way demon and Meier is one of the most promising young powerforwards in the league, just explain the Couture thing to me.

iF He Was trULY geNeRATIonAL He'd have morE NORRiS's

Get the **** out of here. The Norris is a garbage popularity contest; see Doughty, Due. Karlsson is far and away the best defenseman since Lidstrom and is capable of transforming games like no defenseman of this entire generation.

Couture is a really good playoff performer, I am not arguing with that. What I'm saying is a guy who maxes out at 70 points, isnt really someone who you would really have as your top forward. Hence why they tried to sign Tavares.

Its funny you talk about the Norris being a popularity contest and then mention Doughty, as if Karlsson winning over him in 2015 wasnt the direct result of that. The Due Doughty stuff is just old, not true and stale at this point, I mean you claim its a popularity contest, use him as a (awful) example but ignore the fact he's literally won it once (tho it should be at least 2; but thats a different discussion). Karlsson is a great player, but to be generational (see one Mr. Orr) you need to be clear cut better than everyone else in your era. There are plenty who agree that Doughty is better so no, Karlsson is not generational. You never had anyone claiming Park, Potvin or Robinson was better than Orr.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Anybody who wants to criticize DW must first find another franchise that has made the playoffs 19 out of the past 21 years.

First he stole Pavelski in the 7th round, then he stole Thornton....then he stole Burns...then he stole Kane...and now he's stolen Karlsson.
He needs to steal that trophy

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wilson just doubled down. Problem is he is holding an 8 and a 5, and there are a lot of face cards and 9's in the deck.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Hertl 25Yrs old
77-35-39-74

Meier 22Yrs old
78-30-36-66

Kane 27Yrs old
75-30-26-56

Coulture 30Yrs old
81-27-43-70

Labanc 23Yrs old
82-17-39-56

You think that production is going to drop anytime soon with EK and Burns dishing the puck

Nah. Couture is 30 which means hes about to retire and is basically dead. Kane is 27 which is ancient and almost 30 so on the verge of retiring. Hertl is 25 which is almost 27 so he has 1 foot in the grave. As for Meier and LaBanc, well Chicago is gonna offer sheet them out of vendetta

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

2 Norris before age 30 is pretty uncommon these days. If my math is right Lidstrom didn't win his first until 31.

Reactions: Patty Ice

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
While i do think this amount is ridiculous I'm gonna wait for Jon Carlson to etch his 11.5M deal before i make my final judgment... A younger, elite, Stanley cup winning dman should make more than a 30 year old who hasn't won any right?

Do you not realize Karlsson and Carlson are the same age?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad