Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV) Part II

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
LikelyMilkyDanishswedishfarmdog-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Ori and MasterDecoy

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Doug Wilson is a a phenomenal GM... the caps rising and the NHL is set for a new USA TV deal in 21, that will push the cap up substantially... it’s probably 105-110 in five years

Not just that but I think you’ll see Ivan Chekhovich crack the Sharks top nine and put up 40-50Pts as a rookie... 750K cap hit

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Doug Wilson is a a phenomenal GM... the caps rising and the NHL is set for a new USA TV deal in 21, that will push the cap up substantially... it’s probably 105-110 in five years

Not just that but I think you’ll see Ivan Chekhovich crack the Sharks top nine and put up 40-50Pts as a rookie... 750K cap hit
AND doug wilson likely gets some picks back through some trades (braun..etc). So, yes, things look good for the sharks organization, for now.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
As a Sharks fan, I have zero issues with this contract. Burns + Karlsson is the Sharks version of Pronger + Neidermayer. Yes, obviously there's some risk with the term, but you're delusional if you thought EK was going to sign ANYWHERE for less than 7 years. I saw what a healthy Karlsson could do on this team once their chemistry finally gelled, and he was absolutely insanely good during that stretch, until he first hurt his groin shortly before the ASG. If the Sharks finally win a cup within the next 2-3 years, I doubt any Sharks fan will complain one bit about potential cap difficulties 5+ years on. Keeping EK maximizes the Sharks' chance of winning the cup, certainly in the short term. So yeah, go Doug Wilson.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Jones until 2024
Burns until 2025
Vlasic until 2026
Karlsson until 2027

Forwards will probably be okay. If two or three of these guys regress badly before UFA, it could cripple the team due to the cap.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I dont get it! Why Karlsson did that? I dont see the fit for him in SJ. I could be the main asset elsewhere for the same money or more.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I dont get it! Why Karlsson did that? I dont see the fit for him in SJ. I could be the main asset elsewhere for the same money or more.
I mean they were almost in the final just this season with him at like 50%

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I mean they were almost in the final just this season with him at like 50%

He was definitely at less than 50% especially once the blues series started. At times it looked like he was riding a scooter propelling himself with only one skate.

Reactions: Phu

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So basically what they’ve been doing the last 15 years...

Not really... what impact forwards have they added... Meier, Hertl and Couture? None of which are franchise type forwards.

Very soon Jumbo will be gone, Pavelski is already starting on the downturn and even Couture is already 30. Basically, at least half their core is 30+ and they couldnt even win when these guys were younger/in their primes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad