Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV) Part II

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Had Bergevin done this deal, some hfboards members would’ve been sent to the hospital because of hysteric laughter.

SJ does it and everyone agrees it’s the best deal in the last 100 years of the NHL

I don’t get it

What the f***? Everybody is talking about how bad the deal is. Did you even read the thread or did you just come in to push a narrative?

Reactions: Nifty Willy

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
San Jose is the wrong team for Karlsson. While i was very surprise by how good san jose was under Karlssons first year there. But 8 more yrs with san jose? a aging team with no franchise young forwards or even close to it, that already have Burns etc? Makes no sense for me . other the money. There are plenty of better team going forward that would need a player like Karlsson more than san jose.

Soon san jose will be a lottery team.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
San Jose is the wrong team for Karlsson. While i was very surprise by how good san jose was under Karlssons first year there. But 8 more yrs with san jose? a aging team with no franchise young forwards or even close to it, that already have Burns etc? Makes no sense for me . other the money. There are plenty of better team going forward that would need a player like Karlsson more than san jose.

St Louis just won the cup with no "franchise forwards". They had a group of good forwards. Vegas almost won last year with no franchise forwards either..

So..

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA

That feel when San Jose would probably have a cup if they had ever been a lottery team in the last decade and a half :(

Reactions: Shark Finn and Phu

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017

A strong team currently, excellently managed, and Karlsson probably liked San Jose. He could have done far worse, and had he been chasing the money I would bet my house that he could have gotten a bidding war started and received more. We haven't seen Karlsson at 100% for an entire year in San Jose yet. If he can stay healthy (and there's the rub obviously), it will become eminently clear why San Jose signed him, and why Karlsson wished to stay. I just hope they can find a way to keep Pavelski and Thornton for another year. But with or without, teams are going to have their hands full contending with a top three of Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
"Franchise"? Okay buddy. You even watch the playoffs
Actually, your reading comprehension is quite lacking, I just said they are more than "good forwards". You are the one who believes that a player is just a "good forward" or a "franchise player" but that's ok, you seem to need to get your panties in a bunch, you need the message board supremacy more than me.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
St Louis just won the cup with no "franchise forwards". They had a group of good forwards. Vegas almost won last year with no franchise forwards either..

So..

I mean going forward and being a reliable contender, not being able to having fluke years, that are all teams in NHL able to have, Vegas is a good example of that. Even Ottawa was close to get to the final not long ago, and even san jose themself overachieved this year alot. In the end hockey is a team sport, finland won whc without any NHL players. So if you can come togehter as a team, you can have success. But it is a much safer bet to go to a team that has on paper a more promising future then hoping that a medicore team (like san jose actually is, both now but especially going forward) on paper shall grow as a team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Tampa has three franchise forwards point, stamkos and kucherov and still can’t win one cup! What’s your point ?

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I think this is long and expensive for San Jose thinking of his age and injuries. I think this is something that they will have to take a long and hard look at five years from now.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Tampa has three franchise forwards point, stamkos and kucherov and still can’t win one cup! What’s your point ?

Never said that it is guaranteed to win the cup? Please read what i wrote. But it is a safer bet to being a reliable contender to the cup. When it comes to tamba vs san jose, i absolutly think tamba is a more safer bet to be a reliable contender for the next 8 yrs than san jose is, would you really argue against that? Notice that i say a reliable contender, that do not actually win the cup. That is far harder to predict since hockey is a team sport and NHL is fairly even after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad