OT - NO POLITICS SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleached

🚀
Oct 3, 2018
Thanks for posting this, there was no way I was getting up that early to watch the launch, not when I had to go to work lol 🚀
That was a 10 am launch. I was able to watch that booster all the way from the re-entry burn to right before the landing burn when I lost it in a cloud.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
The older I get the more I f***ing hate it. Really so tired of it.
I knew my husbands post was going to be right below this. :)

Assuredly it is weird at first to not have snow. But once you celebrate Thanksgiving in 65 degree weather, you will never (ever) look back. I do not miss the ice and slop and constant gray stick ridden atmosphere. You cant shovel sunshine, friends.

A friend once said to me.."why would you ever want to leave New England?" If I saw that friend today I'd have SO many reasons....mental health for one is the biggest, but overall well-being is also key. The heat during the summer is comically and inaccurately represented, don't let that scare you.

Seriously. I want to enjoy snow, not endure endless wet and raw days without powder
come visit. Open invite. :)

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Assuredly it is weird at first to not have snow. But once you celebrate Thanksgiving in 65 degree weather, you will never (ever) look back. I do not miss the ice and slop and constant gray stick ridden atmosphere. You cant shovel sunshine, friends.

A friend once said to me.."why would you ever want to leave New England?" If I saw that friend today I'd have SO many reasons....mental health for one is the biggest, but overall well-being is also key. The heat during the summer is comically and inaccurately represented, don't let that scare you.

Long drive 🤔

Reactions: Kovi

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That was a 10 am launch. I was able to watch that booster all the way from the re-entry burn to right before the landing burn when I lost it in a cloud.

Sometimes I have trouble understanding the launch times, some sites don't use EST/PST but GMT or U-something. Sorry I missed it live.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

How was the trip?

Forgive: Where do you live now? CA, AZ, FLA, LA?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
So true. Apparently he managed to shut his phone off when he committed the crime but failed to turn it off when he went back to the scene as well as when he stalked the house the 12 times before the murders. The PCA (probable cause affidavit) reads like a Stephen King novel.

It does. This is a truly bizarre one. The fixation part is fairly common, but to go from that to frenziedly killing not just one but four people thankfully very much isn't. What flipped the switch in this guy to that degree is tragic but will be interesting, should he be willing and able to articulate it.

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Well, the placement of the temporary crown was a less pleasant experience than the root canal. Wasn't expecting that.

Then both the dentist and his assistant seemed to be in a hurry at the end of the appointment. They were ready for the weekend and apparently we were just finishing up at their quitting time. I wasn’t too impressed.

Then I get to the desk to check out, and they say "that'll be $1687 please." Hmmm, that's funny, the quote they gave me in writing said $1545. Thankfully i had it in my purse so I showed it to her. "Oh, haha, that's why I'm glad when people keep those. Things change in our system all the time." Yeah, that sounds like a euphemism for "we want to see how many people we can sucker for more money without them noticing or saying anything." I mean, really, how do things "just change in the system." You gave me a quote, literally 3 days ago, why would it change?

Anyway, she changed it to the quoted price, but I still call bull on the whole thing. :skeptic::skeptic::skeptic::skeptic::skeptic:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Well, the placement of the temporary crown was a less pleasant experience than the root canal. Wasn't expecting that.

Then both the dentist and his assistant seemed to be in a hurry at the end of the appointment. They were ready for the weekend and apparently we were just finishing up at their quitting time. I wasn’t too impressed.

Then I get to the desk to check out, and they say "that'll be $1687 please." Hmmm, that's funny, the quote they gave me in writing said $1545. Thankfully i had it in my purse so I showed it to her. "Oh, haha, that's why I'm glad when people keep those. Things change in our system all the time." Yeah, that sounds like a euphemism for "we want to see how many people we can sucker for more money without them noticing or saying anything." I mean, really, how do things "just change in the system." You gave me a quote, literally 3 days ago, why would it change?

Anyway, she changed it to the quoted price, but I still call bull on the whole thing. :skeptic::skeptic::skeptic::skeptic::skeptic:
Sounds like they wanted $142 for happy hour.

• Haha
Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
We're in AZ - suburb of Phoenix. Land of spring training, bad snowbird driving, and even worse hockey!
My aunt moves from a very dangerous late 1970s Detroit to tucson, Arizona. I only visited once, to pick up my mom after she was in a car accident. Very beautiful. I'm not an outdoors person but, very beautiful.

Enjoy your dry heat and say hello to the ghost of Barry Goldwater,

M.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
My aunt moves from a very dangerous late 1970s Detroit to tucson, Arizona. I only visited once, to pick up my mom after she was in a car accident. Very beautiful. I'm not an outdoors person but, very beautiful.

Enjoy your dry heat and say hello to the ghost of Barry Goldwater,

M.
I think @Kovi will completely agree with the beautiful part. There are so many changes in landscape, and they are (almost) all so beautiful. The area around Tucson is no different. The dry heat is tough in the summer, but like those of you who "survive" the winter and snow, we "survive" the heat. We play it up, but it's not really all that bad (most of the time). We're in the time that really explains why we live here. The forecast for the entire rest of the month is lows in the mid 40s, highs in the high 60s. Like the entire next 4 weeks. As an avowed hater of snow, I can deal with the summers to get this for winter. I get your view though, as my youngest is firmly in the Hates The Heat Camp.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It does. This is a truly bizarre one. The fixation part is fairly common, but to go from that to frenziedly killing not just one but four people thankfully very much isn't. What flipped the switch in this guy to that degree is tragic but will be interesting, should he be willing and able to articulate it.
That's the big question now that they have his DNA. That poor roommate who survived heard everything. I hope she's getting the help she needs because it will be a long road for her and she's already being dragged hard online.

I listen to a few lawyers on Youtube and they have been fantastic covering it. One is a former Assistant District Attorney and the other two are defense attorney's. All the others have been absolutely awful. I like getting both perspectives but I need the discussions to be honest but not salacious or victim blaming.

When I was on a jury we used a map the prosecution created from the cell phone pings to help us convict the person of murder. It was interesting and so creepy because it shows the defendant lying in wait and then puts him in the area where the gun was tossed and where the video cameras picked him up. The prosecution was able to trace his escape route all the way down to what bus he was on. He tried to get it tossed pretrial and was denied. The State Supreme Court upheld the conviction.

I expect there could be some challenges to the use of cell phone data if he goes to trial and I expect it to finally reach our top courts. In Australia, are there any laws governing the use of this kind of data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad