TSN: Sittler left off all time TSN list of our LEAFS?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
the franchise is 100+ years old...hard for me to rate guys who didn't win anything(individual or team) as all-timers. sadly of course that precludes most modern era players for us.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Only way Sittler get in is if Morgan Reilly becomes the required active player instead of Matthews.
I'd rather go with Marner as the current player over Matthews because the centers left off are far better than our RWs left on. Sittler and Dougie have to be on the team.

I'd dump Matthews, Teeder and Vaive for Sittler, Gilmour and Marner. Move Apps to foundational player.

Vaive was a PPG in the insane scoring eighties whereas Marner is one now. Vaive did have 3 50 goal seasons but gave little else and Marner already has a better season points-wise. Marner and Clark on the 3rd line form a perfect pair too and Clark can be reunited with Dougie

RickyVaive

Jul 6, 2013
Why does everyone underrate Vaive so much? In his Leafs' career, in GP534 he had G299 A238 P537 with PIM940.
Yes, it was the 80s, but those are still great stats. Add to that the fact that the Leafs were a complete clusterf*** of a team that was finishing at or near the bottom of the league every year. He also got to have such ALL-STAR centers as Derlago, Daoust and Fergus. In other words, he was the only star forward on those teams. I know George Armstrong had a long and great career with the Leafs, even though I never watched him play. Lanny was also great, but he played with Sittler as a center and the 70s Leafs were much better. Even though I love Marner, this Leafs team is so much better than those 80s teams and he gets to play with Tavares or Matthews.
In other words, Rick Vaive deserves his place on any All-Time Leafs team.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I seriously don't get the love for Sundin. Let me quickly count up his team awards and personal awards....that was quick....total of zero.

Just under a PPG player. The only thing he should be considered an award for is longevity. As a person who honestly never missed a leaf game since I started watching hockey 52 years ago Sundin is my least favourite leaf. He had all the tools to win including a big frame and he took it for granted and I can't tell you how many nights he took off. Thats a big list.

Yes, I know, he led this category and that category, but that's because he played for so long with the Leafs. He was a soft player that never liked the big game.

Imagine that 6'5 frame crashing and banging with a combination of his skill. He would have been something special but does not have the drive.

And then of course all the lies and deceit when he was leaving.

Anyhoo, Sittler should be ahead of Sundin. Gilmour should be ahead of Sundin.

Sundin wasn't under PPG .. And he and Sittler have the same number of personal awards and team awards FWIW. Sittler's PPG isn't really that much higher either.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why does everyone underrate Vaive so much? In his Leafs' career, in GP534 he had G299 A238 P537 with PIM940.
Yes, it was the 80s, but those are still great stats. Add to that the fact that the Leafs were a complete clusterf*** of a team that was finishing at or near the bottom of the league every year. He also got to have such ALL-STAR centers as Derlago, Daoust and Fergus. In other words, he was the only star forward on those teams. I know George Armstrong had a long and great career with the Leafs, even though I never watched him play. Lanny was also great, but he played with Sittler as a center and the 70s Leafs were much better. Even though I love Marner, this Leafs team is so much better than those 80s teams and he gets to play with Tavares or Matthews.
In other words, Rick Vaive deserves his place on any All-Time Leafs team.
Because Rick could not skate ... he had one of most wicked and powerful and accurate slappers in league and he was one of our best finishers ever ... but hard to put a guy who was a brutal skater in an all time list .. Mitch would walk him easy ... agree with poster who said put Mitch in and take Rick out ... but Teeder has to be in he or Keon is our best ever at any position

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad