TSN: Sittler left off all time TSN list of our LEAFS?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He only played 7 full seasons with the Leafs in his prime but Carl Brewer was an all-star defenseman 3 times. Then again so was Allan Stanley. Carl Brewer in his prime could play in the modern NHL. Allan Stanley not so much.

Imagine a checking line of Pulford-Keon-Armstrong. I might pick Ron Ellis over Armstrong to add some more offense and speed with the defensive game. That would be a championship quality 2nd line in the modern game. Take note how good these 2nd line players were considered defensively. This is something that continues to be lacking on the current talented team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hard to compare/rate players from different eras but I would question Vaive on the list, there are just too many players that were better. Credit to him though, he played on a really bad Leafs team and still managed to rack up the goals.

Vaive seems more relevant because of the Matthews goal record hunt this year but I agree. Doesn’t feel like he should be there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
True ... I am a huge Dougie fan ... but you are right 2-3 years of greatness vs 10+ years of super play by Sittler ... I really wish none of those guys were left off cause I don't like the guidelines really

Also underrated aspect of Sittler is he left the Leafs in protest against Ballard. I wasn't around at the time but from what I gather Leafs fans liked using Sittler as a symbol of protest against the brutal owner. Just adds to his impact Leafs history.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sittler the only NHL Player to score 10 points in a single game and lead the Leafs during the darkest days under Harrold Ballard being left off this team is a crime.

Darryl Sittler is one of Leafs top 10 players of all time, its not really worth debating the merits of that, as its a given essentially.

Davey Keon, Syl Apps, Teeder Kennedy and Darryl Sittler are Leafs top centres of all time and all can be found among Leafs 10 players of all time. With honourable mention to Dougie Gilmour and Mats Sundin who were both great modern day players in their own right as Leaf greats.

Here are the supporting facts ..

Apps (1936-48), a three-time Stanley Cup winner, was a five-time first or second all-star and five-time finisher among the top three in Hart Trophy balloting for the NHL’s most valuable player.

Kennedy (1943-55) won a Hart Trophy and went five-for-five in Cup finals. When The Hockey News awarded retro Conn Smythes to honour the best playoff performances before the award was introduced in 1965, Kennedy was named a two-time winner (1947 and 1948).

Keon (1960-75) ranks as one of hockey’s greatest two-way forces, combining offensive skill with defensive diligence, including status as a premier penalty-killer. He won the Conn Smythe in 1967, the last year the Leafs won the Cup. It was his fourth playoff championship.

Sittler (1970-82) ranks second all-time in goals and points, led the Leafs in scoring eight times and – along with Gilmour – is one of only two Leafs to average more than a point per game during the playoffs and regular season.

source: The All-Time 7: TSN's Toronto Maple Leafs All-Time Team - TSN.ca

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
With the criteria the way it is, i have no problem with that list. You're always going to irk a certain faction.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's an Original Six team with a ton of history and worthy candidates! There's also only so much flexibility afforded given the criteria. Certainly not lacking in centre options, but that couldn't be a reason to leave Matthews off of the list as the current Leaf. Need that equal left/right shot balance on the blueline, and that's almost entirely a HOF group regardless.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I’m one of the longer term fans, going back to the surprise playoff runs of the 58-59 season so I remember seeing a lot of these players. Looking at that top Leafs list, however, I think there is an over representation of the Leafs of the sixties, probably from boomer nostalgia. I question Stanley, Baun and (blasphemy, I know) Armstrong. I share that nostalgia for those glory days, so what I am about to write isn’t from malice or dislike.

Armstrong was a superlative leader but only a slightly above average player. In his later years, he laboured painfully as a skater, only making up for his deficiencies by guile. But even in his prime he was certainly never all star material. Carl Brewer was a better all around DMan than either Baun or Stanley at the peak of the Leafs cycle. His premature retirement from the Leafs, due to his sour relationship with Punch Imlach, probably colours our memories of him too much but he was the one who became a first all star. Baun was a great bodychecker and gave us perhaps the gutsiest moment in all hockey, the OT goal on a broken leg in the 64 final, but he wasn’t a star by any means.

Jimmy Thomson was just before my time but I was told he was in his day one of the very best defenders in hockey and King Clancy was the best or nearly the best offensive DMen in hockey in his prime. I think he retired as the then all time top scoring dman in NHL history. Or if you want to go back to the really early days, check out defender Harry Cameron or winger Babe Dye.

Just my thoughts as a veteran fan. And a personal note: I saw my two year old grandson at a safe social distance the other day. He was dressed in his Leafs sweater. The boy is on his way to becoming a fifth generation Leafs fan!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m one of the longer term fans, going back to the surprise playoff runs of the 58-59 season so I remember seeing a lot of these players. Looking at that top Leafs list, however, I think there is an over representation of the Leafs of the sixties, probably from boomer nostalgia. I question Stanley, Baun and (blasphemy, I know) Armstrong. I share that nostalgia for those glory days, so what I am about to write isn’t from malice or dislike.

Armstrong was a superlative leader but only a slightly above average player. In his later years, he laboured painfully as a skater, only making up for his deficiencies by guile. But even in his prime he was certainly never all star material. Carl Brewer was a better all around DMan than either Baun or Stanley at the peak of the Leafs cycle. His premature retirement from the Leafs, due to his sour relationship with Punch Imlach, probably colours our memories of him too much but he was the one who became a first all star. Baun was a great bodychecker and gave us perhaps the gutsiest moment in all hockey, the OT goal on a broken leg in the 64 final, but he wasn’t a star by any means.

Jimmy Thomson was just before my time but I was told he was in his day one of the very best defenders in hockey and King Clancy was the best or nearly the best offensive DMen in hockey in his prime. I think he retired as the then all time top scoring dman in NHL history. Or if you want to go back to the really early days, check out defender Harry Cameron or winger Babe Dye.

Just my thoughts as a veteran fan. And a personal note: I saw my two year old grandson at a safe social distance the other day. He was dressed in his Leafs sweater. The boy is on his way to becoming a fifth generation Leafs fan!

Agree with your thoughts. I wonder how much winning SCs comes into play their selections. Personally these lists are a waste of time IMO but given there is nothing much else to do this is what we get. Personally I hope they cancel the season soon. This will get everybody talkig about the draft and player moves. You want to get the headlines Gary ?? Cancel the season and focus on next season.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Great post! And congratulations for raising generations of Leaf fans.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

My dad says same things. People liked Baun because he was a brute and played a hard and heavy game. He always said he was a solid 2nd pair guy who was overrated. Too bad we can't have another defender like him on today's team. He did not question da chief because he was da chief. But he was a poor skater too. But clearly lore takes over and cup winners take awards.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Sittler (1970-82) ranks second all-time in goals and points, led the Leafs in scoring eight times and – along with Gilmour – is one of only two Leafs to average more than a point per game during the playoffs and regular season.

Could Sundin not be argued over Sittler? Led the team in scoring 12 times, holds numerous franchise records including points, goals, game winning goals, overtime goals, and powerplay goals.

While Sittler has higher per game averages with the Leafs, it came in a decade that saw a rather drastic climb in scoring leading into the shooting gallery that was the 80s

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Sittler the only NHL Player to score 10 points in a single game and lead the Leafs during the darkest days under Harrold Ballard being left off this team is a crime.

Darryl Sittler is one of Leafs top 10 players of all time, its not really worth debating the merits of that, as its a given essentially.

Davey Keon, Syl Apps, Teeder Kennedy and Darryl Sittler are Leafs top centres of all time and all can be found among Leafs 10 players of all time. With honourable mention to Dougie Gilmour and Mats Sundin who were both great modern day players in their own right as Leaf greats.

Here are the supporting facts ..

Apps (1936-48), a three-time Stanley Cup winner, was a five-time first or second all-star and five-time finisher among the top three in Hart Trophy balloting for the NHL’s most valuable player.

Kennedy (1943-55) won a Hart Trophy and went five-for-five in Cup finals. When The Hockey News awarded retro Conn Smythes to honour the best playoff performances before the award was introduced in 1965, Kennedy was named a two-time winner (1947 and 1948).

Keon (1960-75) ranks as one of hockey’s greatest two-way forces, combining offensive skill with defensive diligence, including status as a premier penalty-killer. He won the Conn Smythe in 1967, the last year the Leafs won the Cup. It was his fourth playoff championship.

I agree, I would take Sittler over Sundin anyday. And not every day i agree with Mess lol.

Reactions: DivInit23

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The All-Time 7: TSN's Toronto Maple Leafs All-Time Team - TSN.ca

leafs-board.jpg
Marner agent on hold with TSN as we speak.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

That’s awesome. It’s a damn shame, almost criminal that you can’t interact with your grandson as God intended.
If only this damn timeline were to be fixed so that we could go back to some sort of normalcy.

I can’t comment on these lists- although I’m in my mid 30’s, I didn’t come to this country until early 90’s and barely remember Killer.

I thought the list was fair, given the criteria. Kaberle, Doug, and Sittler kind of feel odd to me, but I don’t know who I’d take them over to be honest.

Reactions: kb

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would argue that Gilmour was the best Leaf ever. And his 1992-93 season was the single best of any Leaf player.
127 points plus 35 points in 21 playoff games and a Selke trophy.

Put the team on his back 92-94, just amazing.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I would argue that Gilmour was the best Leaf ever. And his 1992-93 season was the single best of any Leaf player.
127 points plus 35 points in 21 playoff games and a Selke trophy.

Put the team on his back 92-94, just amazing.
I agree, how did TSN mess this one up?

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
My Marlies

John Anderson Darryl Sittler Ron Ellis
Gary Roberts Doug Gilmour Mitch Marner
Paul Henderson Max Bentley Gordie Drillon
Harry Watson Tod Sloan Phill Kessel
Sid Smith Red Kelly Miroslav Frycer
Sergie Berezin John Tavares William Nylander
JVR Joe Primeau Russ Courtnall
Dick Duff Nazem Kadri Steve Thomas
Tiger William's Norm Ullman Babe Dye
Ace Bailey Tyler Bozak Alex Mogilny

Reg Noble Harry Caneron
Morgan Rielly Ian Turnbull
Jim Thomson Gus Mortson
Tomas Kaberle Bryan McCabe
Wally Stanowski Al Iafrate
Hap Day Dave Ellett
Dimitri Yushkievich Jamie Macouan
Jake Gardiner Dion Phaneuf
Brian Berard Babe Pratt

Cujo -Belfour
The Cat-FREDDY

Busher Jackson -Syl Apps -Charlie Conacher
Frank Mahvolich -Mats Sundin -Rick Vaive
Wendle Clark -Auston Mathews - Lanny Mcdonald Bob Pulford-Dave Keon- George Armstrong
John Anderson- Darryl Sittler -Ron Ellis
Gary Roberts -Doug Gilmour -Mitch Marner
Paul Henderson- Max Bentley -Gordie Drillon Harry Watson -Tod Sloan -Phill Kessel
Sid Smith -Red Kelly- Miroslav Frycer
Sergie Berezin -John Tavares -William Nylander JVR -Joe Primeau- Russ Courtnall
Dick Duff -Nazem Kadri- Steve Thomas
Tiger William's -Norm Ullman -Babe Dye
Ace Bailey -Tyler Bozak- Alex Mogilny

Borge Salming -Tim Horton
King Clancy - Red Horner
Allan Stanley - Bobby Baun
Reg Noble- Harry Caneron
Morgan Rielly -Ian Turnbull
Jim Thomson -Gus Mortson
Tomas Kaberle -Bryan McCabe