Prospect Info: Simon Nemec - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
These seem to be two different things - defense points are even more luck-based than forwards and the Devils have been outshot more often since Nemec has come aboard. I do think he likely blocks more shots on balance.
Luck can definitely be a big factor. But this is a very notable difference and the composition of the points is also starkly different. Nemec is getting 0.93 1st assists/60 (Luke 0.14) and Nemec is only getting 0.12 2nd assists/60 (Luke 0.36).

• Haha
Reactions: Zacha and Guadana

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Luck can definitely be a big factor. But this is a very notable difference and the composition of the points is also starkly different. Nemec is getting 0.93 1st assists/60 (Luke 0.14) and Nemec is only getting 0.12 2nd assists/60 (Luke 0.36).

Again, there is a gigantic amount of luck in this. Your top 10 D in points per 60 this year (>200 minutes):

Q. Hughes, Makar, Hedman, Malinski, Kesselring, Werenski, Zub, Dobson, Spence

Even if you want to look at primary assists only, it's -

Nemec, Hedman, Goligoski, Girard, Samberg, Dunn, Zub, Letang, Dobson, Rielly

It's better, but by no means do I think this is anything close to the 10 best passing D men in the league. Arber Xhekaj is 11th.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Luke is definitely ahead in his development, playing extremely challenging minutes (arguably is the 1st pair now and has been), and I think has, overall, a better toolset.

But I'm arguing over the shape of diamonds here.

Luke hasn’t played harder minutes until recently when he’s been paired with Marino, he was pretty sheltered early on.

IMG_3582.jpeg

Woodmoney/PuckIQ separates stats into their own Quality of Competition groupings.

IMG_3587.jpeg
Poor Kevin Bahl lol
IMG_3585.jpegIMG_3586.jpeg

You can see Luke’s “Role Difficultly” increase here.
IMG_3592.jpeg

IMG_3591.jpeg
IMG_3589.png

IMG_3590.jpeg
IMG_3588.png

Fuel for Team Put Nemec on PP1
IMG_3594.jpeg
IMG_3593.jpeg
IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3596.jpeg

Also Luke is better defensively than many people probably think but he gets sloppy at times with his attention to details at times (which is annoying).

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Luke hasn’t played harder minutes until recently when he’s been paired with Marino, he was pretty sheltered early on.

View attachment 818826

Woodmoney/PuckIQ separates stats into their own Quality of Competition groupings.

View attachment 818827
Poor Kevin Bahl lol
View attachment 818828View attachment 818829

You can see Luke’s “Role Difficultly” increase here.

Fuel for Team Put Nemec on PP1

Also Luke is better defensively than many people probably think but he gets sloppy at times with his attention to details at times (which is annoying).

Lots of subjective assessments in there. Not that it’s wrong but I don’t see Nemec getting abused and looking like a pylon defensively. He and Luke make rookie mistakes but the eye test at least shows more solid play than erratic play defensively when I watch them. I struggle to see Nemec as a 31/100 on defense but that’s just me.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
I am not sure what any of those stat cards mean. Can someone tell me if I should be happy or sad?

Eye test though...Luke and Simon are looking good! Minus a few mistakes...

We'll be arguing Luke vs. Simon for years. If Simon adds a big bomb from the point like those two last night, Luke better watch out!

Reactions: billingtons ghost

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am not sure what any of those stat cards mean. Can someone tell me if I should be happy or sad?

Eye test though...Luke and Simon are looking good! Minus a few mistakes...

We'll be arguing Luke vs. Simon for years. If Simon adds a big bomb from the point like those two last night, Luke better watch out!
I think they both shoot the puck from the point well....that said Dougie is the best in my opinion. I absolutely love, love, love watching Dougie shoot.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Nemec as a two way or as a defensive player is better now - better positionally, better in tight situations, Luke is looking better in escaping, better on translation and at defense on the fly. In offensive zone Luke is better in driving, Nemec is better on the blue line. Nemec made less sloppy plays.
I would put Nemec ahead, he looks and play like a smarter player, but Luke just needs more time for adapting his game on nhl level, both will be greater, even if Nemec will be better in defensive zone.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Nemec as a two way or as a defensive player is better now - better positionally, better in tight situations, Luke is looking better in escaping, better on translation and at defense on the fly. In offensive zone Luke is better in driving, Nemec is better on the blue line. Nemec made less sloppy plays.
I would put Nemec ahead, he looks and play like a smarter player, but Luke just needs more time for adapting his game on nhl level, both will be greater, even if Nemec will be better in defensive zone.
Totally agree with this. Nemec is a stud, his mental game is way ahead of where Luke is currently. And in all honesty, that was always Luke's weakness.

Luke is able to make an impact right now just purely from a physical/skills standpoint because he's so insanely talented. He has a lot of growth to make from an IQ perspective though.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Totally agree with this. Nemec is a stud, his mental game is way ahead of where Luke is currently. And in all honesty, that was always Luke's weakness.

Luke is able to make an impact right now just purely from a physical/skills standpoint because he's so insanely talented. He has a lot of growth to make from an IQ perspective though.
I think that physical talent and aspects can easily put Luke ahead a lot of players easily, so its not that easy to say who will be better overall. And its a very philosophical question how we can rank different subjective aspects of the game.
We still don't have real consensus about Graves defensive game, Luke and Simon are on the another level of skill, iq and conversation.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think they both shoot the puck from the point well....that said Dougie is the best in my opinion. I absolutely love, love, love watching Dougie shoot.
I'm beginning to want more Colin Miller shots. He woke the press up with the 105mph after the ASG but he's been putting good shots on nett all season.

Reactions: JimEIV and Nubmer6

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Their job just got a whole lot easier with the zone D system so if they can fight through the rookie wall I'm thinking we might see some real fun stuff confidence-wise the rest of the way out.

If this was all some part of galaxybrain plan --- test out if they can handle the nutty aggressive system and get beat down to instill some humility and then get all jets to fire after the break.... It would be even a bigger Fire Lindy/Sorry Lindy story than the first one

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Nemec and Luke are producing roughly at a half a point per game with Jack missing a good chunk of the season , the powerplay slumping lately, etc...Not even Graves or Severson produced that well last year so for a 19 and a 20 year old to out play 2 guys in their late 20s offensively as rookies is a good sign. We knew the growing pains would be there but they are having great seasons considering the load they have had to carry.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
My only complaint really is how Luke dangles the puck at times skating out to the side of the puck dangling around players trying to pull the puck back to his body which means if he loses it - it's behind him and he's having to make up ground rather than keeping the puck in front of him and trying to go more north south and find the open lane. He fumbles the dangle too many times which creates the turnover doing this. If he kept it more in front of him I think he'd have fewer fumbles and turnovers which I'm sure he'll get better at regardless with time. Nemec I had huge hopes for next year and they weren't even this high so it's like we got an extra player somehow with him and how fast he's adapted and settled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad