Confirmed with Link: Simon Despres signs PTO with Laval (12-2)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Seems like he needs one every year, pathetic really. But this one isnt too bad, better than Streit

Considering these reclamation projects are low or no risk, I don't see what the issue is and what's "pathetic" about it. It's one of the few things that Bergevin has done that I think is smart.

Giving chances to guys like Semin, Fleishmann, Streit, Gelinas, Hemsky and Despres is a chance to add a guy, for literally nothing and if it works, great, and if it doesn't cut them loose, no harm no foul.

Fleishmann was able to carve out a spot and get flipped for an asset. I don't see what the problem is.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He was once a highly rated prospect. Worth a shot. May get us a 4th rounder at the deadline. Smae as Morrow

Actually, it's completely different. Despres was a legit NHL'er, and still progressing. But concussions and alleged off-ice issues derailed what could've been a solid, albeit unspectacular, NHL career.

I also always end up writing Derpes instead of Despres.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Can't have enough Dmen

(Weber)
Petry
Lolzner
Benn
Schlemko
Reilly
Juulsen (elc)
Mete (elc)
Ouellet (2way)
Skelnicka (2way)
Moravik (2way)
Lernout (elc)
Taormina (I believe he's no more 2way for this season)
Valiev (2way)

For some reason, I thought they had more Dmen than that for both teams (nhl+ahl). Bourque, Parisi, Leblanc and Gelinas are all out of contract. They actually really need to fill the Laval team, especially if the two Czechs leave for Europe

Reactions: Runner77

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Can't have enough Dmen

(Weber)
Petry
Lolzner
Benn
Schlemko
Reilly
Juulsen (elc)
Mete (elc)
Ouellet (2way)
Skelnicka (2way)
Moravik (2way)
Lernout (elc)
Taormina (I believe he's no more 2way for this season)
Valiev (2way)

For some reason, I thought they had more Dmen than that for both teams (nhl+ahl). Bourque, Parisi, Leblanc and Gelinas are all out of contract. They actually really need to fill the Laval team, especially if the two Czechs leave for Europe

Laval has Lamarche, Melancon and Culkin signed to AHL contracts, I am guessing Cale Fleury will also sign and play there.

Reactions: Redux91 and ArtPeur

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Another garbage player

Teams are adding John Tavares, Brayden Schenn, PK Subban, Taylor Hall, Mika Zibanajad, Artemi Panarin..

While we're adding Matthew Peca, Simon Despres, Byron Froese, Xavier Ouellet, Nikita Nesterov...

No wonder our team is where its at now...
Temper your expectations. Habs are in full rebuild, we'll see plenty of moves like this, moves that lead nowhere but to the bottom of the standings. I'm not the least surprised that MB is targeting local fodder to make a bit more bucks from the Laval crowds.

Please, be patient, Habs are only going to get good in maybe 2-3 years from now.

EDIT : Even if we added one of two of these players I don't think it would've made us contenders. MB at least did the right moves 'till now so that we end up tanking one more season and get us high draft selection, and that's how a strong perennial contending team is being made. Perhaps it will lead us the EDM path of sucking for a decade if bad picks are being made but this is the way pro sports work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer and dralaf

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
If I had to guess, I would say :

1- To realize his dream of playing in the NHL
2- To play for his childhood team, the Montreal Canadiens
3- To win his life by doing what he does best, playing hockey
4- To make a few millions of dollars
5- To bring food on the table
6- To get known in the Montreal market so he can eventually earn a job on television or as a coach/scout
7- To make his family proud
8- To make sure his efforts since he's a kid are not fruitless
9- Because it's more fun than to stay at home or to work in an office
10- Because the doctors say he can

I'm pretty sure 99,999% of the people would do the same if they had an opportunity like he does.
Well said dood

Reactions: Redux91

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
i honestly wouldnt even be suprised if Despres makes the team, ditto for Ouellet.

They cant be worse than Schlemko, Benn, or Alzner.

Just play the MOBILE guys.

Mete, Juulsen, Petry, Reilly, Ouellet , Despres.

Forget the pylons. The defense would be better just by being able to quickly skate or pass the puck out.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
For some reason he convinced me that it could work, mainly his Melnyk interview, usually I'd brush this out as a waste of time.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Actually, it's completely different. Despres was a legit NHL'er, and still progressing. But concussions and alleged off-ice issues derailed what could've been a solid, albeit unspectacular, NHL career.

I also always end up writing Derpes instead of Despres.

His off-ice issues are not alledged. He confirmed to TVA Sports a long time ago that he drank a lot, causing him a lot of health issues. He also had problems controlling his low blood pressure.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Considering these reclamation projects are low or no risk, I don't see what the issue is and what's "pathetic" about it. It's one of the few things that Bergevin has done that I think is smart.

Giving chances to guys like Semin, Fleishmann, Streit, Gelinas, Hemsky and Despres is a chance to add a guy, for literally nothing and if it works, great, and if it doesn't cut them loose, no harm no foul.

Fleishmann was able to carve out a spot and get flipped for an asset. I don't see what the problem is.

Ya, I don't have a problem with it either, especially now considering we will suck anyways. We should get a bunch of reclamation guys we will hopefully flip.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Good move by the Habs, the kid deserves another chance, if he does well, alright, if he doesnt, no big deal, at least he got a try... But I have a good feeling he impresses enough to get at the very least an AHL contract...

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Another low risk , "hey we got nothing to lose"

Garage Sale Bargain Bin working the phones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad