Simon Despres Appreciation Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ducks fan here. I am still scratching my head over what flaws Despres could have had to warrant a trade for Lovejoy. I figured he would be an AHL project when we got him, but he has been extremely good and he's 23, 6 foot 4, and playing out of his mind in the playoffs.

What are his flaws.... why is he worth ben lovejoy. I am so confused. Sorry for rubbing it in though.

The management group... A member of the management group... Hated him and wanted him gone.

I'm pretty sure we've had leaks / rumors to the effect that:

1) coaching staff was caught off guard by the trade
2) Jim Rutherford didn't like the trade
3) Jason Botterill wasn't a fan of the trade

If these things are true - and I can't bet my life on any of them but #2 - then you're left with a pretty clear picture of what happened.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Ducks fan here. I am still scratching my head over what flaws Despres could have had to warrant a trade for Lovejoy. I figured he would be an AHL project when we got him, but he has been extremely good and he's 23, 6 foot 4, and playing out of his mind in the playoffs.

What are his flaws.... why is he worth ben lovejoy. I am so confused. Sorry for rubbing it in though.

Liquor and ******.

Just kidding, our organization is just ****ing stupid.

penguins2946*

We have no idea why they did the trade. You're asking the wrong people. Literally everyone outside of apologist homers or trolls hate the deal.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

The Penguins management consists of a bunch of dumbass ****s.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow

Some members of the Pens FO had hard-ons for Lovejoy. And you know what they say about thinking with the wrong head...

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
The management group... A member of the management group... Hated him and wanted him gone.

I'm pretty sure we've had leaks / rumors to the effect that:

1) coaching staff was caught off guard by the trade
2) Jim Rutherford didn't like the trade
3) Jason Botterill wasn't a fan of the trade

If these things are true - and I can't bet my life on any of them but #2 - then you're left with a pretty clear picture of what happened.

I dearly hope that that member of the management is outed somehow and loses his job.

Any insiders care to leak it to the press and send Guerin packing, before Beau gets traded for Patrick Elias?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Penguins fans tried to tell Ducks fans how much of a steal it was when it happened. A lot didn't believe us and thought we were overrating him.

It's indefensible from the Penguins side. His flaws are that sometimes he falls down and his aggressiveness can lead to a mistake sometimes. That's it. He's big, physical, can skate extremely well and moves the puck great. The ideal dman.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, Ducks fans were snarky and sarcastic and rude to many of us post-trade. Funny, they're all on-board now, with nary a meaculpa

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I just wanted to say that as a Ducks fan I find this thread hilarious and keep coming back to it, not in a bad haha-in-your-face way, but literally hilarious. You have a great forum going on here and I've started to appreciate you and the Penguins as a franchise a lot since I've wandered into here. Anyway, thanks for Simon, we'll keep him fed :handclap:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
TSN said:
Simon Despres – The Ducks defenceman, acquired at the trade deadline from Pittsburgh in exchange for Ben Lovejoy, scored the game-winning goal and had a team-leading six shot attempts (2 SOG) while leading the Ducks in time on ice, playing 23:26 in Game Three.

Penguins management:

6NENb.gif

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I just wanted to say that as a Ducks fan I find this thread hilarious and keep coming back to it, not in a bad haha-in-your-face way, but literally hilarious. You have a great forum going on here and I've started to appreciate you and the Penguins as a franchise a lot since I've wandered into here. Anyway, thanks for Simon, we'll keep him fed :handclap:

Not with that drought you won't. We'll trade you drinking water for Lindholm.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Man this thread just hurts so good. There's a supreme satisfaction accompanying the pain of watching SD get his playoff mojo workin' for the Ducks while the donkey ears get pinned permanently onto the Pens management gang and the Pittsburgh media morons.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

He likes belly rubs.

God, I miss him...

97DZjyj.gif

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I also want Pierre McGuire to feel like ****. When the trade went down he acted like Despres was done as a player and would never be anything. It was pretty great watching Despres play the way he did with McGuire between the benches.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I also want Pierre McGuire to feel like ****. When the trade went down he acted like Despres was done as a player and would never be anything. It was pretty great watching Despres play the way he did with McGuire between the benches.

Good thing he didn't become the GM....oh wait

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Let's sum up:

Simon Despres wasn't a "top-4" dman I'm Pittsburgh, because the Penguins refused to let him play in the top-4.

Instead, they gave him few minutes with a sub-NHL player who had been placed on a ridiculous, insultingly, embarrassing pedestal by the Penguins.

When given playing time, when allowed to play with skill, he showed the ability to become everything his supporters - from casual to hardcore - said he would be.

It wasn't a risk or a gamble, it was just common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad