Sportsnet: Simmonds is likely done as a Flyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
His number of goals every year before this one are completely irrelevant. He’s 31 this year, has played a heavy game for years and players of his style lose it very quickly. Most logical people don’t give a crap that he brings things other than goals. He certainly doesn’t bring positive shot or possession metrics. He throws a few hits a game. Great. If that’s worth a pick and a prospect, GMs are even stupider than I give them credit for.

Maybe he'll be like Roberts in the latter part of his career.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
His number of goals every year before this one are completely irrelevant. He’s 31 this year, has played a heavy game for years and players of his style lose it very quickly. Most logical people don’t give a crap that he brings things other than goals. He certainly doesn’t bring positive shot or possession metrics. He throws a few hits a game. Great. If that’s worth a pick and a prospect, GMs are even stupider than I give them credit for.

He has as many 5v5 Goals so far this season as he tpically has in a normal season. His decline in G production has come on the PP, because the flyers went something like 23 striaght PPs without scoring a goal, and then another 15+ PP streak without me, if memory serves.

Just to be clear though, since this seems to get misconstrued - im not saying he's worth this exorbitant return (i'd much rather take a lesser return and put him in the best spot to win a cup, to be honest). But the tales of his 'decline' are largely overblown on this board by people who cant be bothered to look at his stats a little more in depth.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
tenor.gif

Very fitting someone with a Jennifer Aniston avatar posted this.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe he'll be like Roberts in the latter part of his career.
Maybe he will, but data and trends suggest he won’t. There are two types of hockey fans and in a similar way two types of GMs: Those who will defend a player and assume everything is fine until every bit of skill is completely gone and those who jump ship when an aging asset starts taking on water. Of course, some aging players rebound at age 32 but it happens in frequently enough that I won’t ever hold my breath.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
PHI: SIMMONDS & 4TH RD PICK 2019

FOR

CGY: 1ST RD PICK 2019 & MICHAEL FROLIK

THOUGHTS?

Flyers would do that quite easily. Flames would not.

Frolik would slide into the #3RW spot for next year:

Giroux Couts Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
JVR Frost Frolik

And it would bridge the gap to the kids like Allison, Laczynski, etc...

Reactions: AdamParrot

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
Flyers would do that quite easily. Flames would not.

Frolik would slide into the #3RW spot for next year:

Giroux Couts Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
JVR Frost Frolik

And it would bridge the gap to the kids like Allison, Laczynski, etc...
I think the Flames would do it , it's a cap dump so they can sign Mark stone in the offseason if they already dont go for him at the deadline .. tbh iknow the Simmonds deal is kind of overpaying so I'm curious to see what the flames do. I just like the idea of getting Simmonds for the playoffs

Reactions: klutch

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I guess we should shut the place down and assume every GM knows exactly what they’re doing and never make colossal mistakes that message board posters could see coming a mile away. Quality retort.

That's the problem with most people on this board though. Once they get one random thing right about a player (i.e., so-and-so will be a bust), they think that they can do a better job than half the GMs in the league

Reactions: Torgo

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
That's the problem with most people on this board though. Once they get one random thing right about a player (i.e., so-and-so will be a bust), they think that they can do a better job than half the GMs in the league
I don’t think most reasonable people think they are better than most GMs of the day to day duties of the job. But the fact is, many NHL GMs largely get their jobs through nepotism or success they had 30 years ago and the bad ones keep making the same mistakes year after year. It does not take a genius GM to see that signing Lucic to a huge long term deal was a massive mistake even at the time. Trading assets for Simmonds and gifting him a top six spot is in that same category.

Cosmic avenger

Oct 27, 2018
Simmonds is a beast. Will be missed in philly if traded. Still think he may stay and get resigned on short term deal 2/3years he had 3 off season surgery. Just really starting to get healthy . decline i do not think so dropped off top two lines and reduced pp time numbers will drop for anyone.

He will get picks or good prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad