Injury Report: Simek out with concussion.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
NHL Player Safety is full of shit. So our player gets hit late in the head hard enough to give him a concussion, exactly what PS says they want to reduce, but they refuse to even look at it.

Why does the NHL front office hate the Sharks so much. All the calls and suspension go against us literally from before the first puck was dropped (remember 1991 draft where the Sharks should have been allowed to draft Lindros?).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
NHL Player Safety is full of ****. So our player gets hit late in the head hard enough to give him a concussion, exactly what PS says they want to reduce, but they refuse to even look at it.

Why does the NHL front office hate the Sharks so much. All the calls and suspension go against us literally from before the first puck was dropped (remember 1991 draft where the Sharks should have been allowed to draft Lindros?).

The answer you're looking for is Doug Whine Wilson...see Colin Campbell. I'm sure that bias has been passed down through the glorified administrators.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
A pragmatic silver lining: Bennett is not a good player, and is one of the biggest top 5 pick fails in recent memory. I think having him in the lineup might actually hurt the flames more than help them.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
This makes the NHL look like a bush league. Don't understand that he doesn't even get a hearing!!! A player is out for an unknown period of time. Player safety is thrown out the window in this case. Makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: LA Shark

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
giphy.gif

f*** this league...

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I'm agreeing with Kurz for once.
Kurz has actually pretty much said the opposite. He's just quoting Doug here. Everything Kurz has said about the hit basically says he thinks it was late and dirty, but not direct contact to the head which doesn't result in suspensions.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Parros is such a *****

He doesn't seem to be concerned about late hits. It's stupid. Those (together with slewfoots maybe) are the most dangerous plays in hockey because players don't expect to get hit when not in possession of the puck. Parros doesn't have a clue.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kurz has actually pretty much said the opposite. He's just quoting Doug here. Everything Kurz has said about the hit basically says he thinks it was late and dirty, but not direct contact to the head which doesn't result in suspensions.

And that's exactly what players safety doesn't get. On multiple occasions they suspended players for minimal or so called (I couldn't even see it) head contact when nobody got hurt. While I agree that high hits are dangerous, late hits are much worse. If I'm skating with the puck I'm expecting to get hit even if I have my head down. Once I got rid of the puck I don't expect to get hit. Both McAvoy and Simek got hit several seconds after passing the puck.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
And that's exactly what players safety doesn't get. On multiple occasions they suspended players for minimal or so called (I couldn't even see it) head contact when nobody got hurt. While I agree that high hits are dangerous, late hits are much worse. If I'm skating with the puck I'm expecting to get hit even if I have my head down. Once I got rid of the puck I don't expect to get hit. Both McAvoy and Simek got hit several seconds after passing the puck.
I agree and think the late hits actually have a more sinister intent. It's easy to accidentally make minimal head contact in a fast pace open ice hit, i.e. Karlsson. The Bennett hit in a chippy game with 20 seconds left clearly had a sinister intent, but the league only cares about liability, not what is actually right.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I didn't see a hit to the head, I'm guessing Simek head hit the ice resulting in the concussion. That said, if it was an illegal hit (late, charging), resulting in an injury how is it different than Karlsson's?

Also the Doug Whine Wilson thing is real. At the time I wasn't happy about Doug calling out the league for Raffi because I didn't want it to influence the league later.

Sorry to hear Simek is hurt, he's been playing great. More importantly concussions are no joke

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I didn't see a hit to the head, I'm guessing Simek head hit the ice resulting in the concussion. That said, if it was an illegal hit (late, charging), resulting in an injury how is it different than Karlsson's?

Also the Doug Whine Wilson thing is real. At the time I wasn't happy about Doug calling out the league for Raffi because I didn't want it to influence the league later.

Sorry to hear Simek is hurt, he's been playing great. More importantly concussions are no joke

Hits to head are bad but late hits or slewfoots are worse despite no direct head contact. They come unexpected and result in head injuries far more often than high hits.

Reactions: Clowe Me

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
You don't need to be hit in the head to cause a head injury. Your brain can rattle around just as much from a whiplash type motion, which definitely happened on that late hit. It's not getting hit in the head that is the danger, it's what the brain is doing inside of that head. On a late hit like that, Simek isn't prepared to be hit, especially as he just passed a puck away to waste time to end the game that was completely over. When your body is not prepared, bad things happen.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
You don't need to be hit in the head to cause a head injury. Your brain can rattle around just as much from a whiplash type motion, which definitely happened on that late hit. It's not getting hit in the head that is the danger, it's what the brain is doing inside of that head. On a late hit like that, Simek isn't prepared to be hit, especially as he just passed a puck away to waste time to end the game that was completely over. When your body is not prepared, bad things happen.

100% agree with you both. Doesn't mean the league does. Whatever you think about potentially negative perspective on SJ from the league (can't remember a particularly favorable DOPS decision myself), im trying to identify consistent logic.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
100% agree with you both. Doesn't mean the league does. Whatever you think about potentially negative perspective on SJ from the league (can't remember a particularly favorable DOPS decision myself), im trying to identify consistent logic.

I think that everyone, sure as hell, knows they don't agree with reality at this point.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Exactly. Hits are most dangerous when players don't expect them.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I'm not mad about him not getting suspended, I think there is just too much discrpenacy between whats aloud and what isn't it. Why does Erik Karlsson get a 2 game suspension, but when somebody clearly has intent to injure they look the other way?

Why is it always like this? its the same story, just like the deal with Raffi, its always tough luck Sharks.

Owell, no reason to get angry just keep on.

We could face the Flames in the early rounds, hopefully Simek is ok by that time because he'll lay a couple nice CLEAN hits when it counts.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
There needs to be some sort of d-bag quotient to determining these things. Like, just look at the guy and say, "that guy just looks like the kinda guy that would do something shitty." Things all of a sudden get much more obvious.

Reactions: slocal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad