Post-Game Talk: Sill knocks home the Pens 1st Win

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Oh my bad. Yes, Martin.

I was on the trade Martin bandwagon over the summer and Im still on it. He's a HUGE trade piece and youre right, we can mitigate his loss within the organization.

I didnt see any of the preseason games so I cant comment. Just specifically with last night .. I thought he was ok. Sure, like you said, we expect huge things from him because he IS so good. So based on that, yes, he didnt play well. But his game last night, in a bubble, was certainly ok. Like I said .. nothing really bad, nothing really good. Just solid and stable.
Yeah, I like Martin & I like what he did for us these last couple of years, but I just have that feeling that this season is not gonna be that stellar for him.. Age might start to catch him maybe a little bit, rumors of him wanting out of town, possible injuries, etc. We would get a solid value for him & also add a much needed capspace while still being able to replace him decently within the organization with the players like Bort or Harrington. JR should at least keep this idea in his mind, it definitely makes some sense.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Yeah, I like Martin & I like what he did for us these last couple of years, but I just have that feeling that this season is not gonna be that stellar for him.. Age might start to catch him maybe a little bit, rumors of him wanting out of town, possible injuries, etc. We would get a solid value for him & also add a much needed capspace while still being able to replace him decently within the organization with the players like Bort or Harrington. JR should at least keep this idea in his mind, it definitely makes some sense.

Absolutely. I agree with you 100%

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the breakout was really the most refreshing part of last night. The Ducks were swarming the Dman in the Dzone, and in the past, that would have led to a turnover and a 2-on-1 developing from the corner.

Last night, when the Dman got swarmed, he knocked it up the boards and there was a forward 5 feet away. That forward could make a pass to the blue line (HIS BLUE LINE) to a forward who had speed, and that forward was able to enter the O zone with momentum AND, usually, someone on the wing to support the attack.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Who do you mean, though? Scuderi or Martin? I assume Martin.. Maybe I have higher expectations for him but he was really nothing special. Nothing which can´t be replaced within the organization. Just average/below average in everything. Maybe just maybe we can really think about trading him (I wasn´t originally a fan of that idea, but he had an abysmal preseason as well & now I feel something lacks in his game). If his mind is already out of PIT, then it should be a no-brainer. I will give him some more time, but I´m slightly worried.

Take away his role as a puck mover and he is a very steady defensive player who won't mess up your offense. Don't expect him to look special while playing with Maatta. He's still our best defensive d-man though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Im just curious to know what you mean by that ...

I'm not saying that as a negative. Maatta is taking on most of the puck moving responsibilities. That puts Martin in a more defense first role than he has been the last few years. That means you won't notice him as much. The last few years, Martin was the primary puck mover on our most played d-pairing. He was just much more visible. I think this is actually the role he is more suited for. Maximize his defensive game while still being a guy you can trust on the offensive side of the ice. Unlike guys like Orpik and Scuds who even at their best are offensive black holes.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Maatta is taking on most of the puck moving responsibilities. That puts Martin in a more defense first role than he has been the last few years. That means you won't notice him as much. The last few years, Martin was the primary puck mover on our most played d-pairing. He was just much more visible.I'm not saying that as a negative. I think this is actually the role he is more suited for. Maximize his defensive game while still being a guy you can trust on the offensive side of the ice. Unlike guys like Orpik and Scuds who even at their best are offensive black holes.

Ah ok. Thats much better :)

The way I interpreted it initially was "Martin wont look good with Maatta because he isnt good." Which is crazy in so many ways :)

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you very much!!

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
We really need to trade for another top 6 winger. Crosby-Kunitz-Hornqvist looks fantastic, Malkin-Bennett and another decent winger would make for a pretty good top 6.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
There was a lot to like about this game. The breakout, moving with speed, that they actually stuck up for one another ... all good things. It's still a work in progress though, for sure. Special teams needs some sorting out, as does the roster. Hopefully both those things happen sooner rather than later.

All in all, an enjoyable game to watch. HCMJ might not have been the first choice, but it's looking like he was the right one.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
We really need to trade for another top 6 winger. Crosby-Kuntz-Hornqvist looks fantastic, Malkin-Bennett and another decent winger would make for a pretty good top 6.

Yep. I honestly think that a top 6 winger to play off Geno's style is the one piece we need to be the team to beat .. especially in the east.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
The special teams is up to the coaching. Malkin to C and a JR move to get him help, and I think this team will be a lot further along than I'd anticipated.

EDIT: I also think defensively this team gives up too much **** from below the blueline.

I think you have been being very overcritical about this.

I dont quite understand calling the PP the "don't offend kunitz" pp or saying Malkin should be a C. It's 1 game. Malkin is hurt/out of shape/doesn't know the system very well and

Johnson needs to find out what he has in this team. He should be trying new things. I wouldn't care if they put Sid with Geno for 10 games. I don't really care what they do at this point to be honest. What is important is that they try this stuff NOW. not when they are down 0-2 and cant score in the playoffs. It's also important that after they give things a real shot (whatever they think that is, 2.5 periods as it seemed to be with keeping erhoff off the top PP, or a month), that they are able to evaluate the move and adjust.

This was bylsmas big problem. Who cares if he put together the most ****tacular lines possible when they traded for Iginla. They problem is that they keep trodding that same group out there, time after time.This is probably why you are so conditioned to be rather vocal about non ideal coaching decisions, but give it time.

Best thing we can see is some terrible coachign decisions the next few games, that we see rectified immediately

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Maybe, but MAF in goal in the spring is a huge question mark still.

Without a doubt, he is a question mark.

I know im gonna get flamed for this ....

He definitely makes his blunders. He definitely makes his gaffes. He is definitely mentally fragile.

But I honestly believe that if the Dzone coverage tightens up more; if the D doesnt give guys enough time to set up and have tea and a scone in front of the net, etc etc .. it will mitigate enough of his blunders.

I often wonder how MAF would play on a team like Nashville where they are SO defense oriented and give VERY little to the opposition and conversely, how would someone like Rinne play on an "offense first, defense second" team like the Pens.

Im not saying MAF would go there and win the Vezina but I guarantee his numbers would be better.

Tighten things up and I think MAF will do a good enough job to give us a chance to win.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
They get a penalty on a play THEN ALSO get a penalty shot for that WEAK ass "hook" on a play when the opposing player wasnt even on a breakaway? FU. FU three times.
The penalty was for too many men on the ice. That was definitely the correct call and it was not even close. Then Thompson got in front of Ehrhoff leaving no one but the goalie in front of him. No there was not a ton of room between him and Fleury at this time, so some may not consider this a true breakaway. However the NHL rulebook does not mention "breakaway" as a qualification only that a player have full controlled possession of the puck and be in front of everyone from the opposing team but the goalie when they are fouled from behind in a way that disrupts their scoring opportunity. Ehrhoff once beaten clearly raised his stick into the hands of Thompson and lifted them disrupting his shot. The refs screwed up a lot of stuff tonight (the most egregious to me was the quick whistle when Gibson reached for the puck but missed it.) but this sequence was not one of them.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The penalty was for too many men on the ice. That was definitely the correct call and it was not even close. Then Thompson got in front of Ehrhoff leaving no one but the goalie in front of him. No there was not a ton of room between him and Fleury at this time, so some may not consider this a true breakaway. However the NHL rulebook does not mention "breakaway" as a qualification only that a player have full controlled possession of the puck and be in front of everyone from the opposing team but the goalie when they are fouled from behind in a way that disrupts their scoring opportunity. Ehrhoff once beaten clearly raised his stick into the hands of Thompson and lifted them disrupting his shot. The refs screwed up a lot of stuff tonight (the most egregious to me was the quick whistle when Gibson reached for the puck but missed it.) but this sequence was not one of them.

I have no issue with the TMM penalty. But that penalty shot call was so far beyond weak, imo.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One funny thing... fans at the game were pretty brutal at times. To major things happened around my section:

1) Everyone was getting pissed the Pens would regroup over and over again. I was so happy but they kept saying "JUST DUMP IT IN!" :laugh: I swear I kept looking back to see if it was Bylsma.

2) Nobody understood why the Penalty Shot was given. I tried to explain it to two people and they couldn't figure it out at all. And our ice crew is DUMB. The ref immediately pointed to center ice when it happened. Immediately. The ice crew came rushing on to clean the ice. Well done idiots... The ref kept trying to get them to go off the ice but then just gave up and went to commercial. That gave the shooter fresher ice to stickhandle.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It was encouraging to see Hornqvist able to handle the puck so well and not fumble it at every opportunity. Huge step up in that department from Dupuis and the AHLers we saw in that spot last season. Already one of my favourite Pens.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well, that would probably be because Taylor Chorney is freaking terrible

Come on, now. The dude did have a good camp and looked solid in preseason games. I'm not saying he should be on any NHL teams, but sometimes rewarded good play and penalizing bad play (Spaling) is a beautiful thing. It's something we haven't seen here for a long time.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Come on, now. The dude did have a good camp and looked solid in preseason games. I'm not saying he should be on any NHL teams, but sometimes rewarded good play and penalizing bad play (Spaling) is a beautiful thing. It's something we haven't seen here for a long time.

If that was the case, MAF would've been pulled last night. He was pretty brutal IMO and would've cost them the game without tremendous goal support.

If I see him go down on his knees, paddle down when a guy goes in the corner again........:shakehead. ......and stays there as the guy brings it out front.....:shakehead. Top of the net is ALWAYS wide open there.

Can't wait for Jesus Greiss to save us from this.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
One funny thing... fans at the game were pretty brutal at times. To major things happened around my section:

1) Everyone was getting pissed the Pens would regroup over and over again. I was so happy but they kept saying "JUST DUMP IT IN!" :laugh: I swear I kept looking back to see if it was Bylsma.

2) Nobody understood why the Penalty Shot was given. I tried to explain it to two people and they couldn't figure it out at all. And our ice crew is DUMB. The ref immediately pointed to center ice when it happened. Immediately. The ice crew came rushing on to clean the ice. Well done idiots... The ref kept trying to get them to go off the ice but then just gave up and went to commercial. That gave the shooter fresher ice to stickhandle.

Surprising because they choose the ice crew based on their IQ scores.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

The crowd chant of "WE LOVE TRAFFIC" was funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad