-Turnovers
-Our play in the D zone
-Penalties
-Reffs

penguins2946*

++++++Maatta
++++++Crosby
++++++Dupuis
+Sill, Downie and Comeau standing up for the other players. It's great to finally see that.
+Despres
+Hornqvist and Kunitz seem to be the wingers we have waited years to get for Sid
+Sutter on the PK
+I don't like typing this, but Adams wasn't bad. He needs limited minutes to not suck, but I'm fine with how he was used today.

=Letang, Ehrhoff and Martin. They weren't bad, but I expected more. Martin was especially invisible today. Letang and Ehrhoff don't seem like they fit each other well, but I'll wait and see how they look in a few games
=Fleury looked good in the net, but he was absolutely horrendous playing the puck
=Malkin didn't look comfortable on the wing and looked rusty, but he looked decent for the situation he was forced into. He needs to be playing center. If you really want Sutter in the top-6, put him on the RW

-Special teams. They need some work obviously. When both the PP and PK start clicking, there aren't going to be a lot of teams that can stop us
-Scuderi blows. He's just awful.

Overall, a great game. I don't care if it's for the Pirates, but Raise It!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
+++++++ So much I don't feel I need to list it all.

- Scuds
- Special teams
- - - - Need to figure out what to do with Geno.

Great win. That is a team that is built to exploit our biggest weakness on defense, particularly with Bortuzzo out. Go Pens.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
+Crosby, Dupuis, SILL!!!!, Downie for protecting Letang taking that penalty to show show players to **** OFF! Maatta, Despres a few good plays, Letang.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
A lot to improve but also a lot to like. In general, it went better than I had expected.
Sid looks great and Duper can still skate, which is nice.

Craig Adams, although angering us with being on the roster at all, had under 9 minutes of ice time. This happened only once last season. Also, he had 4 of those in the third period when we were leading relatively comfortably and even though we had 6 PPs to kill. While it's not ideal, it's encouraging.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+++++++ So much I don't feel I need to list it all.

- Scuds
- Special teams
- - - - Need to figure out what to do with Geno.

Great win. Go Pens. That is a team that is built to exploit our biggest weakness on defense, particularly with Bortuzzo out.

That's the big one. The other things can be coached. But, if the staff figures out that Geno is a center and shouldn't be playing left point on the PP, then it will go a long way . . .

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Didn't get to catch the game, was the top 6 pretty consistent in the lines? And I saw at the end of the game thread Erhoff only got on the last PP, and Horny wasn't at all, so Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kunitz, and who?

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Rob Rossi @RobRossi_Trib · 3h 3 hours ago
Sid told me he'd take a "good luck" handshake at AM skate. I said I'd wish him health, and luck would take care of itself. He has 2 points.

Thank God for Rob Rossi.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Most-entertaining game of Penguins hockey in at least 3 years.

PK's going to be a work in progress for a while. Martin's playing like his bags are already packed.

Other those two things, I can't express how pleased I am with everything else I saw for a game 1 of the season.

++ Maatta, Dupes, Downie, Comeau, Sid, Sill, Hornqvist

+ Despres, Sutter, Letang

- phantom calls

heh ... welcome back, hockey

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
+ We got to see a hockey TEAM tonight

Great game, can see the changes already. I'm gonna let the team have its time figuring out things. Yeah the PP wasn't ideal, but everything is so new it doenst matter. Play Malkin on D for a game. I dont care. Just happy to see more then 1 penguin on camera at once.... so bizzarre

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Maatta is getting low ice time to start the season (lowest TOI of all D). Obviously it's the right decision, I just can't wait for him to play over 20 minutes a game. 3 assists, +2 and all of the assists were due to his superior decision making. The puck seemed to follow him also in the corners in the D-zone. I'm impressed.

I was almost sure he'd have some problems coming back from the injury straight to the NHL, but at least in this game it seemed he did just fine.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Alotta good things.
Not alot of bad.

Loved watching the centerman pick up speed and guys hitting him with the pass. ie. Sid.

Once Geno gets back to 100% and back to C, he can do the same.

+Duper, Sid, Maata, Horns, Comeau, Downie
=Geno, Sill, Spaling, MAF, Sutter, Despres
-Adams

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fleury had one really bad play. Other than that, I think he was fine. One really bad play probably does earn him a minus though. It needs to stop happening.

penguins2946*

Martin's playing like his bags are already packed.

That's a big one I noticed as well. The writing is on the wall for him. It has been well documented that he isn't interested in staying here long term, and he has to have heard the rumors involving him (almost traded to Colorado at the draft for PAP and a 1st, almost traded for ROR after BB got hurt, ect). I think he knows he's gone soon. The sooner the better imo.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
There's a lot of good things to say, and some of the bad things are good (Adams sucking, maybe we'll get rid of him someday), but something that can't be understated is how the role players took care of the big guys. When Letang was hit, Comeau and Downie were all over Kesler. And as Billy would say, Sill made sure there was a price attached to Stoner's hits. So important.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
That was very imperfect, but I loved so many of the things I saw tonight. I think once this gels it's going to be very good.

What really energized me was downie, comeau and sill at the end. Been a long time since we've seen that.

Xavier Laflamme*

Offense looked great. We held possession and generated scoring chances while wearing down the Ducks defense.

Need to shore up our defense. We gave up a few odd man rushes.

PK sucked bad. Only the first game but, wow, atrocious. Guy's were just standing around and nobody seemed to pick anyone up. YOU CAN'T LEAVE CORY PERRY UNTOUCHED IN THE SLOT!!!!

Fleury is an equal for me. Continually leaves the net to get burned. No clue why he does it. He's an idiot. However, he bailed us out and made some great saves tonight. He got some help from the goalposts too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad