Post-Game Talk: Sill knocks home the Pens 1st Win

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fleury is going to seal his own fate. I don't get the guy, if he wants to keep doing stupid stuff like that, then Greiss better be ready, because this team is going to give him the chance and if he fails as well, he'll look back at it as the time he got the shot to be #1 and he squandered it.

MAF...why do you break my heart so?

ObsessedCreative*

Fleury is going to seal his own fate. I don't get the guy, if he wants to keep doing stupid stuff like that, then Greiss better be ready, because this team is going to give him the chance and if he fails as well, he'll look back at it as the time he got the shot to be #1 and he squandered it.

MAF...why do you break my heart so?

Dudes been in the league forever and still try's to play pucks wayyyyyyy too much and he is horrible at it, always has been. Yet he still does it. The definition of insanity...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Exactly.

The irony is that he wants to honor Barrasso, I mean, at least ask the guy how to play the puck then, Tommy was great at it.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
On the bright side, we have an image for whenever Fleury leaves the net.

2014-10-10-00_59_30.gif

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Penguins notice new team toughness

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6915262-74/penguins-hit-crosby#axzz3FoK87H8A

Classic Craig

Letang noticed it.

One of the few Penguins who always defended teammates in past years, Letang was pleased to see two new teammates come to his aid.

“That's what we need,†he said. “We need to stick up for each other. I appreciated those two sticking up for me. It was nice to see.â€

Only one player in the locker room dismissed the notion the Penguins weren't tough enough last season.

Right wing Craig Adams said the Penguins weren't in a position to retaliate against Staal in the spring because being short-handed in the postseason isn't worth retribution.

“I just shake my head at that stuff,†Adams said. “That's what playoff hockey is. The best players are usually going to get a rough ride. That's part of winning in the playoffs. That's why it's so hard to win. It's part of the sacrifice you make. If we had gone out and given them four or five power plays, I don't know that doing that would have been the best way to handle it.â€

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That article might need its own thread. "Team Toughness & Beat Up On Craig Adams Thread"

Honestly the team toughness was the first thing I noticed. Whatcha think, Wes? New thread for that?

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Not for nothing, but Fleury played the pyluck what, 15 maybe 20 times that game? Aside from the 2 goofs, the rest were at least respectable.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Maybe I'm reading too much into the quote, but to me what Adams said sounds like there's quite a beef between himself and Crosby.

And if we look at all the evidence (the rumors about Adams being a bad apple in the room; rumors about Crosby and Bylsma having a major rift last year; rumors about Adams being the on-ice voicebox for the coaching staff, etc. etc.)

Perhaps nobody is talking about Adams or taking action because they are trying to unload his contract without having any cap penalties attached to it (i.e. counting against it even if in the AHL).

But that's a very bizarre quote from a supposed leader talking about the best player in the game.

Does anyone think Troy Loney, Jim Paek, Chris Dahlquist, Bob Errey, Phil Bourque or some other random Penguin back in the day would have suggested that the abuse Mario Lemieux was getting was 'just part of playoff hockey'?

The more I read that quote, the more insane it sounds.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Dudes been in the league forever and still try's to play pucks wayyyyyyy too much and he is horrible at it, always has been. Yet he still does it. The definition of insanity...

It's not even like his physically bad at it. His puck handling skills are above average, at least... but his decision making skills seem to be non-existent. In other words, he gets into trouble because of his head - not his hands.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Not at all. He's not bad at physically moving the puck, he's bad a knowing when (and often where) to play the puck.

The goal the other night was a direct result of not knowing when and where. The first bad decision (going to play the puck) resulted in him panicing and making another bad decision (trying to send it around the net instead of just dropping it to Letang). The third element of this particular event was time. He rushes, the puck didn't settle, and the pass was flubbed. It happens to everyone - but when it happens to a goalie 10ft from his net, it's going to end badly.

That's sort of the epitome of Fleury though, isn't it? It's never been a lack of physical ability with him - it's all about the mental aspect.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not at all. He's not bad at physically moving the puck, he's bad a knowing when (and often where) to play the puck.

The goal the other night was a direct result of not knowing when and where. The first bad decision (going to play the puck) resulted in him panicing and making another bad decision (trying to send it around the net instead of just dropping it to Letang). The third element of this particular event was time. He rushes, the puck didn't settle, and the pass was flubbed. It happens to everyone - but when it happens to a goalie 10ft from his net, it's going to end badly.

That's sort of the epitome of Fleury though, isn't it? It's never been a lack of physical ability with him - it's all about the mental aspect.

He just reads the glass poorly. Maybe they need an "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" sign on the glass behind the nets at the CEC.

I've seen him make dumb puck decisions facing the play also, so who knows. It just seems when his back is to the play, he really does stupid ****. He pretty much has two outlets on 99% of those plays. Just make the decision faster and get into the net. Plenty of other goalies seem to be able to do it without being train wrecks so consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad